JVC LS300 4K|60p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JVC LS300 4K|60p

I thought I would show the JVC some love and post some footage.

I've only used this camera a few times here and there, and recently shot some 4K/60p with it for the first time.

I am convinced that barely anyone owns this camera and/or no one knows about the firmware update because there has been zero footage online of 4K/60p since the update. I've checked Vimeo and YouTube at least once a week since May and have not been able to find anything. Maybe I've just missed it...or maybe most LS300 owners don't own an Inferno.

It's not a camera that's going to knock your socks off (it's already kind of dated being released in 2015), but for around $2200-$2500 used (camera & recorder), it is indeed a great package with so many features.
    Last edited by NorBro; 06-19-2021, 06:18 PM.

That's nice looking footage and LS300 is a hidden jewel.

Comment

Thank you, and for sure...it's the perfect example of a piece of hardware no one really gave a chance because it's not made by a popular company (or at least not popular for cinema cameras).

However, I will say it's also JVC's fault a little bit by not initially releasing the camera with all of the features it has now (improved J-Log, 4K 4:2:2 recording, 4K/60p, etc). It was also much more expensive in 2015.
      Last edited by NorBro; 11-07-2017, 03:40 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I would love to own one just to play around with. I think that m43 mount and S35 sensor is so cool and out of the box thinking not to mention the other features.

Comment

If you shoot in HD, it's the most amazing thing ever. But in 4K, it's barely any zoom.

Regardless, it's also a great "emergency" feature if you find yourself in a situation where you don't have enough reach with your lens in 4K and you absolutely must get a tighter shot no matter if it's a lower resolution...just switch to 2K.

Comment

No denying it... That footage does look good. Wonder if JVC has a successor to the LS300 in the works. ?? Maybe.

Comment

I would like to see some skin tones with a normal grade approach to judge the color rendering. It seems the camera had some DR limitations when release footage was appearing. Has this been improved (and not just by shooting LOG).

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
                No denying it... That footage does look good. Wonder if JVC has a successor to the LS300 in the works. ?? Maybe.
                Thank you. I doubt it...

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
                I would like to see some skin tones with a normal grade approach to judge the color rendering. It seems the camera had some DR limitations when release footage was appearing. Has this been improved (and not just by shooting LOG).
                Some cameras will handle light better than others, but DR limitations will exist in any camera if you're not shooting LOG.

I think they may have done some improvements under the hood, but nothing major. Like many prosumer "cinema" cameras, it's probably between 11.5-12.5 stops with J-Log (making that assumption based on my own experience).

Comment

Consider if Panasonic had the balls to make the Eva1 with a native m43 mount and include an m43 to Canon adapter. Technically it can be done as shown by JVC but the out of the box thinking in this case wasn't within Panasonics reach. I guess the LS300 oddity will remain to just one camera.

Comment

I own just one JVC camera. My impression of them is they like to do the oddball features, as if they know they can't compete with the Canon, Sony and Panasonic offerings. They made the only video camera I've seen that has slots for two batteries, allowing hot swapping just like you do with dual memory cards. I thought that was slick. And whenever I'm looking for something that's great on the shoulder, JVC cameras are at the front of the line, with their great "shoulder-mount know-how". I think it's their mantra to roll the dice and see how good they can do with their off-beat, but welcome, features. Having said all that, I really wish one camera maker would figure out what it takes to build the perfect wedding video camera and then build one for around $5,000. And I'm not even a wedding shooter but I guess I just feel sympathetic for those that are.

Comment

It would be interesting to see some low light and dynamic range tests against a GH5. Can this do 10bit 4k 60fps? Hard to find information on it. Can it output 10bit 422 at all?

Comment

The LS300 can't output 4K 10-bit 4:2:2, but the internal 4K recording is 8-bit 4:2:2 up to 30p, and the 60p output is 8-bit 4:2:0.

On paper the GH5 sounds better, but as with many cameras it's all about the practice in the field. Some 8-bit 4:2:0 cameras simply look better than cameras with higher specs (not saying this one does, just in general).

Since both are around the same price (used), the LS300 really stands its ground with maybe some more inviting features like the bigger sensor, ND filters and XLR/LINE audio.

Comment

Working...
                        X