GY-HM-170 - batteries and cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GY-HM-170 - batteries and cards

Thinking of buying a JVC GY-HM170 and want to know which cards to get for playing with 4K as well as if there are any aftermarket batteries for it. Odd the HM200 takes different batteries. Thanks.

I got two Sandisk Extreme 96 mbps cards for my HM200. And I found third-party batteries on eBay for it at 1/3rd the price. They have been working fine with it.

Comment

Thanks DigitalBard. The HM200 and HM170 use different batteries for some reason. I'd read that aftermarket batteries (except for SWIT) didn't work. Will look for others. Thanks on card. Yu like your HM200? Not a lot of JVC users around. My first HD camcorder was a JVC.

Comment

I've had it less than a week, but I'm happy with it so far. I do a lot of ENG work and it works a lot better than the GH4 I had. I decided to go with the HM200 over the HM170 because of the live streaming. I work for a radio station that broadcasts High School sports and we want to livestream some of the games.

I got two of these cards and they work for 4k 150 mbps and 1080p @ 120fps: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...SDHC_SDXC.html

Maybe I'm lucky, but I got two of these batteries from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281826568771

And a cheap $9 charger. Both batteries work in the camera and the charger works with the original battery and both third-party batteries.

Comment

Thanks for the info and links. May order from B&H tomorrow or Monday. I don't stream or plan to but read you can add it to the HM170 if ever needed with aftermarket pieces. I mostly want a smaller sensor camcorder for greater DOF and 4K mostly for post production camera-like movements. Had a Panasonic HMC40 and the HM170 will replace it. I have a couple GH2's I still use and like but there are times I want more DOF and the camcorder feel. Did you see the detailed tutorial on the cameras operation on YouTube? If not, I'll see if I can find the link.

The HM170's battery contacts are different. WHY? bns8823_m.jpg

Comment

Odd that is uses a different battery.

JVC wants $135 for a replacement AC adapter. I tracked down the manufacturer and got it with their brand instead of the JVC brand for $30.

Comment

I thought so, too. Buy both and you have to stock up on two different batteries? Weird. Just ordered the HM170 from B&H. Have some Sony 94MB/s cards to play with initially. Will watch the JVC YouTube video on all the settings and work through the camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTF8De4jro

Comment

What the HM100/HM200 are missing (to me) is a neck strap.

BTW, the HM200's battery has twice the life of the HM170 battery according to the manual.
                Last edited by Crosby!; 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

DigitalBard, check your private messages.

Comment

Working...
                  X