No announcement yet.

DJI OSMO POCKET 3 Cinematography and the end of the mirrorless camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does look like a nice product. The rising tide is lifting all boats. Maybe a Black Friday purchase with a crazy low price? It can charge while operating and will be recognized as a webcam for live use. So it might have some place as a POV camera or as a guerilla live camera etc...

Comment

I was supposed to get a new iPhone by now after putting if off for, let's see...1...2...carry the 3...

...6 years - but I still keep pushing it back for no good reason at all.

Well maybe it was meant to be because I ended up getting one of these.

This thing is phenomenal.

___

lol in advance --> I remember getting my first [and only] glidecam back in like 2008 (post industrial revolution) and immediately strongly disliking it. I spent days balancing and clucking around with counterweights only to get medicore footage.

Practice might have made perfect but my brain wanted technology 'to make perfect'; that was more ideal for my type as I questioned back then, 'who tf would want to deal with this every shoot?'.

___

Fast-forward to this cutie, you take it out of the box and it's PERRRFECT.

DJI really gets it.

Bro, my god, if any of the big 3, or a RED or BM, or a big tech side project, would really stop and think about this, the potential for this part of the market to have these with bigger sensors is so wide open if anyone actually cared about human camera operators and that future.

Naturally what the Pocket 3 is now is what the iPhone will be with better-than-ever post processes and bigger chips, but for now using something like this that is the size and weight of a banana to capture such creative footage is fun enough for me to reconsider my position in the fight with man vs. machine.

Comment

Well, there is also the DJI Ronin for a bigger sensor along the same idea. Something in between would be better.

Comment

It makes so much more sense for this purpose to start with the gimbal then add a built in dedicated camera to it, instead of the other way round. The phone on a gimbal can work too. I just used my iPhone on a phone gimbal to film b-roll of the food service portion of medieval play and it worked great.
          https://vimeo.com/creationdream/madr...023?share=copy

But its always nice when you have something that is used for only one purpose.
          Last edited by Peter C.; 01-13-2024, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
            Well, there is also the DJI Ronin for a bigger sensor along the same idea. Something in between would be better.
            Oh, yeah, duh, good call...but definitely about 10x cheaper and 10x smaller.

The 1% out there will always have their dedicated support for the best-of-the-best, but small folk might be okay with compromises; something the size of a Osmo pocket with different fixed lens attachments and a slightly bigger, better sensor would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
              It makes so much more sense for this purpose to start with the gimbal then add a built in dedicated camera to it, instead of the other way round. The phone on a gimbal can work too. I just used my iPhone on a phone gimbal to film b-roll of the food service portion of medieval play and it worked great.
              https://vimeo.com/creationdream/madr...023?share=copy

But its always nice when you have something that is used for only one purpose.
              I think they had no choice but to start with just a gimbal because they'd sell more (back then, for different cameras), and this kind of technology didn't exist 10-15 years ago to make something like a Pocket 3 (or if it did no one used it).

Could you imagine how the camera landscape could have changed if this was around back when the 5D Mark II and the GH2 were getting going. I do remember some very cheap HD gimbal cameras coming along around 2012-ish from eBay/China, but they were nothing like this, even worse IQ than GoPro then.

Your video came out good for what it is but like 80% of the shots could have been handheld, right? (many don't have much movement)

That's what excites me about the Osmo; I feel like I can walk and move more freely without having a mental block thinking about the gimbal and the balancing of the camera and lenses and my footsteps.

The SpinShot mode was absolutely made for TikTok, ha

Comment

For me the "killer feature" has been eVND. Dynamically control the light into the camera. Don't "work around it" with shutter speed/angles, gain etc. Ideally, eVND needs to get a better with more graduation at the low end and being able to go all the way to clear - then plonk it in these smaller cameras. It would fix issues like panning on your drone where it cranks the shutter up to 1/500th to compensate when the bright sky comes into view... and all semblance of motion is destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post

I think they had no choice but to start with just a gimbal because they'd sell more (back then, for different cameras), and this kind of technology didn't exist 10-15 years ago to make something like a Pocket 3 (or if it did no one used it).

Could you imagine how the camera landscape could have changed if this was around back when the 5D Mark II and the GH2 were getting going. I do remember some very cheap HD gimbal cameras coming along around 2012-ish from eBay/China, but they were nothing like this, even worse IQ than GoPro then.
                  Camera development could have played out differently. DJI had early on the camera stabilization and control for their drones it just took them a while to get it into a small enough form factor that was easy to use. It's still not perfect I'd prefer a short wide zoom. For my tastes it's a little too wide for my liking. Fine if your filming yourself where it's a couple of feet from you but too wide for filming someone else who is farther away. The exposure can be a less consistent... It's fine for it's intended purpose of vlogging.

Your video came out good for what it is but like 80% of the shots could have been handheld, right? (many don't have much movement)

That's what excites me about the Osmo; I feel like I can walk and move more freely without having a mental block thinking about the gimbal and the balancing of the camera and lenses and my footsteps.
                  I don't like too much movement, I find it distracting. The main reason for the gimbal was to hold a steady shot effortlessly and concentrate on framing and looking for the interactions I wanted to capture without thinking about the camera settings. I like being unobtrusiveness (so subjects aren't looking at me), get into position quickly, stay out of the way of the servers, and be able to raise up quickly so as not to be blocked. I wish I could have shot at 60p for smoother slow motion but I wanted the extra light. Since it's just a free add on to filming the performance it's good enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X