Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DJI OSMO POCKET 3 Cinematography and the end of the mirrorless camera

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    DJI OSMO POCKET 3 Cinematography and the end of the mirrorless camera

    Jokes aside this has to be one of the most talked about cameras of 2023. I didn't see a thread about it so I thought I'd throw one up for discussion. A lot of positive reviews but I'm not in the market for a camera designed for the social media walk n talk film yourself. Obviously it can do more than that... I think this camera will sell very well because it's so easy to use.

    #2
    I've never been tempted by any of these Osmo cameras before and I'm not a big user of gimbals, but this update is hard to ignore. I did have a good laugh at this review, though.
    PortlandVideographer.com

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
      I've never been tempted by any of these Osmo cameras before and I'm not a big user of gimbals, but this update is hard to ignore. I did have a good laugh at this review, though.
      Markus "review" is biased in favor of the Sony Rx100 but there is some useful info

      Maybe I should have qualified "easy" after you set it up. To be fair all of these devices no matter the manufacture has a similar arduous setup process (gimbals, drones, wireless mics, action cameras, etc)

      I think dji form factor could displace point and shoot cameras as it is better suited to vlogging which seems to have become the largest customer base for sub 1k cameras.
      Last edited by Peter C.; 11-01-2023, 07:58 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        I really love how small this thing is and having a gimbal (looks like it works well) is so convenient, but I still think this will attract only a niche group unless the IQ gets noticeably better (looks comparable to a phone/GoPro).

        9/10 people are already going to have a great phone and would probably consider a $100 gimbal first instead of this.

        For those already working in video production, maybe it could be a neat toy to throw in the bag for BTS, a certain POV angle in a film, etc.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by NorBro View Post
          For those already working in video production, maybe it could be a neat toy to throw in the bag for BTS, a certain POV angle in a film, etc.
          I'm often asked to film BTS footage so it be useful to pullout a separate handheld device from your primary setup to grab some quick footage. I still wouldn't throw down $700 for that purpose.

          It's appealing to vloggers because it's all in one. The built in wireless audio receiver with clip on mic transmitter is a nice addon. It's convenient to have all in one camera, gimbal and wireless audio. While you can use your phone you need all those add ons and it's annoying to have your phone tied up while filming. It's nice to have that separation.

          I also think things like the GoPro have their own separate niche feature of durability you need in an action cam that the Pocket cam can't do. It's not drop or water proof.

          Comment


            #6
            I just remembered I had a Osmo Pocket camera a few years ago that I used once. I wonder what ever happened to it? Did I sell it? Did I give it away? Did I lose it? Is it in a box somepalce? Is it worth looking for? Probably not.
            Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
            HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
            http://www.dougjensen.com/

            Comment


              #7
              Is it possible to get shallow DOF with this unit (blur the background) when the subject is speaking?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by sodotoguwangus View Post
                Is it possible to get shallow DOF with this unit (blur the background) when the subject is speaking?
                No It has a 1" sensor and a wide angle lens.
                Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                http://www.dougjensen.com/

                Comment


                  #9
                  Do you think if they release a telephoto version of their clip-on lenses it will be possible with the 1-inch sensor?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Production is getting horrific.

                    ”your man (the minister?) is booked for 20mins to deliver the script”

                    with such extreme time pressures one can fight to get any b roll, any non synch wides

                    on these scrabble for anything jobs - i think this woild be well handy

                    of course accepting the lowering of the bar is a sifferent chat
                    http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by sodotoguwangus View Post
                      Do you think if they release a telephoto version of their clip-on lenses it will be possible with the 1-inch sensor?
                      The combination of telephoto lens plus handheld gimbal makes no sense. I'm sure there are far better solutions to whatever your goal is. What is your goal? What dp you want to do?
                      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                      http://www.dougjensen.com/

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                        Production is getting horrific.

                        ”your man (the minister?) is booked for 20mins to deliver the script”

                        with such extreme time pressures one can fight to get any b roll, any non synch wides

                        on these scrabble for anything jobs - i think this woild be well handy

                        of course accepting the lowering of the bar is a sifferent chat
                        I haven't looked at the camera in question...

                        But why not just use the latest iPhone for that purpose? It doesn't get smaller or more convenient than that, and apparently the IQ is forgivably usable.
                        www.AbeFilms.com

                        All men are brothers

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

                          The combination of telephoto lens plus handheld gimbal makes no sense. I'm sure there are far better solutions to whatever your goal is. What is your goal? What dp you want to do?
                          I agree there is probably a better solution. But one can definitely use a telephoto lens on a gimbal. Same as on a steadicam or a dolly
                          www.AbeFilms.com

                          All men are brothers

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                            But one can definitely use a telephoto lens on a gimbal. Same as on a steadicam or a dolly
                            Yes, it is possible to use a telephoto with a gimbal, but why would someone want to to do that on a talking head when shallow DoF is desired? Better to use a tripod if the person is mostly stationary. Or shoot handheld if you want to be a little more dynamic. In my opinion, the best reason to use a gimbal is if the person and/or camera are moving a lot, such as when walking and talking. And for that, in most instances (there are always excepetions) you are not going to want to shoot walking and talking wtih a telephoto (for shallow DoF) on the gimbal. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
                            Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                            HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                            http://www.dougjensen.com/

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

                              I haven't looked at the camera in question...

                              But why not just use the latest iPhone for that purpose? It doesn't get smaller or more convenient than that, and apparently the IQ is forgivably usable.
                              Ive never used a phone to film as I might be phoning while filming.

                              i guess ive failed to consider getting a second phone as a camera!
                              http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X