Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Camera I ended up buying that checked all or most of the boxes for me in 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Roper View Post

I didn't say you were one.
    of course what works works.

ive got an fs7 and a zcam and a bunch of old manual glass - they make a certain video - all the robot stuff makes other videos.
    http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

What are the origins of that word and what's the proper spelling if there is one?

Comment

A cameraman does not need an excuse to use manual focus.
        I don't think this is a useful comment in this context My point is that when shooting observational docs during clutch moments when, for example, the police barge through the front door and unenxpectedly arrest your subject, you need to think like producer/director not as a camerman. Even the best operator and focus puller in the world doesn't have the mental bandwidth to pull perfect focus and make the optimal shot selection. What's the point of getting into the edit to find all your shots are perfectly in focus but you've missed the story? Are you going to ask the police to re-arrest your subject so you can get it second time around? The golden rule in observational documentary filming is that story is everything.

Comment

In my opinion at this moment the Canon C70 and Sony FX6 represent the pinnacle of best bang for the buck on the market. fx6 more into live, events, tv etc...and C70 for docos, commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by jvc View Post

I don't think this is a useful comment in this context My point is that when shooting observational docs during clutch moments when, for example, the police barge through the front door and unenxpectedly arrest your subject, you need to think like producer/director not as a camerman. Even the best operator and focus puller in the world doesn't have the mental bandwidth to pull perfect focus and make the optimal shot selection. What's the point of getting into the edit to find all your shots are perfectly in focus but you've missed the story? Are you going to ask the police to re-arrest your subject so you can get it second time around? The golden rule in observational documentary filming is that story is everything.
            Nor do I think your comment is useful even in the hypothetical sense that you used it of a clutch moment. For example, there is allegedly video of Alec Baldwin's finger on the trigger that he claims not to have pulled in the accidental shooting of Halyna Hutchins. Would a green box on his eyeball have resulted in a more salient image capture of his trigger finger than a more general scene focus? I doubt it. I understand well the need to be rolling footage, and that an out of focus image is more important than a missed shot and that making the good shot with manual focus is not mutually exclusive in contrast to the impossibility that you imply. Maybe you can't.

Comment

Nor do I think your comment is useful even in the hypothetical sense that you used it of a clutch moment. For example, there is allegedly video of Alec Baldwin's finger on the trigger that he claims not to have pulled in the accidental shooting of Halyna Hutchins. Would a green box on his eyeball have resulted in a more salient image capture of his trigger finger than a more general scene focus? I doubt it. I understand well the need to be rolling footage, and that an out of focus image is more important than a missed shot and that making the good shot with manual focus is not mutually exclusive in contrast to the impossibility that you imply. Maybe you can't.
              this just makes me want to point out that we actually have the option of instant mf override on a lot of the best implemented AF systems . So yeah; I would rather -- when I am shooting BTS & the gunman is on mark and I just got the clear to move in close enough to frame correctly; that the green box moves to the self-serving prick's face 1st -- so I can then decide to rack to his finger, as he absently mindedly-ends an innocent person's life...while trying to, with the least amount of effort possible personally; make a couple of bucks on the shoot of a movie he planned on forgetting about in a couple years.

Comment

I filmed a bhs dance party a couple of days ago. Zooming was unusable with distracting breathing as the camera pulsed reacquiring focus. Since I didn't need to zoom and it nailed focus in a dark low contrast setting allowing me to concentrate on what was important capturing unscripted moments. This won't be playing at a movie theater so I think I'm going to be ok.

Comment

Working...
                X