DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm T2.8 Super35 Zoom Lens Breathing Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm T2.8 Super35 Zoom Lens Breathing Test

This video was shot with the Blackmagic URSA 12K Cinema Camera in 12288 x 5112 resolution at 60 fps. I did a lot of rack focuses to test the breathing of the DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm T2.8 Super35 Zoom Lens.

https://youtu.be/Oo03f8RHo4g
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

You're having a lot of fun with that 12k!

Breathing is totally acceptable for my tastes, especially for that price.

The CA and edge sharpness are a bit problematic in a few shoots, especially because of the specific type of content, but man....it's a 2500 parfocal cine lens. Very impressive.

I'm very tempted to get this lens, but am leaning toward the new Tokina 25-75 Cine, which is twice the price of admission. I'd actually much prefer the extra mm on the wide end that you get with the DZO, but if I'm going to get a parfocal cine zoom, I'd want something a bit more versatile optically. That DZO has just enough quirks to make me pass on it for a good amount of my client work, which would be fine if I had an arsenal of cine zooms, but if I'm going to have just one, I think I need something a bit cleaner.

BTW, I'm really liking those colors from the 12k.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

A few years back I shot a project on Sigma Cine primes and we had a couple of rack focus shots where the breathing was a bit distracting. I played with it in Resolve for a bit to see if I could get it to autotrack and counter-zoom with mild success. Ended up adjusting some of the frames manually and achieved perfection. The percentage of blowup was undetectable. My feeling is that unless breathing is egregious, it's only visible on lockoffs and thus easy to manage with a digital counterzoom, so not really a concern.
      Charles Papert
      charlespapert.com

Comment

Good points, guys.

When I first saw the distortion, I was like what is this? But I've grown to actually like the flaws in this lens. I feel like it has a lot of character. I like how the highlights glow. I like that the lens is a little on the warm side. For the money, it's a pretty good deal when it comes to PL lenses in my opinion. I did add a little sharpening (-.47 I believe in resolve). I've always done this with my blackmagic cameras. It would be fine without it, but sometimes I like that added crispness. I wonder if the sharpening enhanced the CA? I could also close down the lens a bit when shooting to avoid that all together. I need to be more aware. What shots do you see the CA on?

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
          Good points, guys.

When I first saw the distortion, I was like what is this? But I've grown to actually like the flaws in this lens. I feel like it has a lot of character. I like how the highlights glow. I like that the lens is a little on the warm side. For the money, it's a pretty good deal when it comes to PL lenses in my opinion. I did add a little sharpening (-.47 I believe in resolve). I've always done this with my blackmagic cameras. It would be fine without it, but sometimes I like that added crispness. I wonder if the sharpening enhanced the CA? I could also close down the lens a bit when shooting to avoid that all together. I need to be more aware. What shots do you see the CA on?
          The tree at :14 is the only spot where it jumps out and offends a bit. That is a notoriously challenging shot though, when it is off center and slightly out of focus. All of the tree shots look perfectly fine when in focus. Even the same shot, when it returns near the end of your edit has less CA because it looks like the focus plane is has been set slightly more in favor of keeping the tree in focus.

But honestly, you have a ton of mid to high contrast shots here that are prime candidates for CA, but are in fact looking pretty damn good, so I don't think it's a major issue.

Comment

I see it. I will definitely be on the look out for it more in the future. I appreciate you looking.

Comment

Working...
            X