Seems dead around here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems dead around here...

it just seems like there are very few posts here anymore.
    Where did everyone go?

Have you looked at the silicon imaging site? Seems dead over there too.
    ------------------------------
    Tom Frisch
    www.tom11.com

Comment

It's dvx user man, most people here own dvx and hvx's, a lot of people also jumped ship for the canon hv20 and the a1 since they're so affordable. Most other stuff has been marginalized on this site.
      Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
      My Twitter

Comment

I'm guessing Red killed a lot of the SI attention. They are both priced about the same (Red One and SI-Mini), so why go with a SI-Mini now.

Comment

If you were baiting...i bit.

First off as far as i know the SI-2k is NOT the same price as the red. The body of the red was for first tiem customers $17,500. The SI-mini is about $13,500 with a PL mount, and about $2500 with a camera body. The red's body wont do you much good at all, with out all the other accessories. Saying that i think the SI-2K would come out a quite a bit more than $25000 approx to kit out. But mini + laptop....way cheaper than red...

Red does 4k, which the SI-2K doesnt.

the SI-2K has a MUCH better workflow than the red. the .look files are genius and allow soooo much freedom in post, and not these amazingly long render times, that i keep hearing about that lock you into a look, unless you want to re-render. Just seems like a much smarter choice.

The Red does seem to have more "proffessional"grade accessories, my main concern with the SI-2k is the monitoring options. I dont think they are that great, especially when using the full camera system. But i think the RAW workflow that they have more than makes up for that.

Just my 2c and a bite.

Comment

It is quiet around here! I used to visit every day, just to see that there were no posts.

OK, I'll make a wee bit of noise:

The SI-2K rules.

Check out the Bjork music video just shot with 2 Minis (3D). The link is on SI's home page.

My camera is on it's third feature film (more coming) and numerous music videos. It has shot in green screen studios, in the desert, out the back of vehicles in precarious positions, under water, and suspended by helium balloons (OK, this idea didn't actually work ... at all).

Right now we are shooting a music video using miniature models and green screen. I'm having so much fun with this camera (fun is absolutely the wrong word, but you know what I mean).

I don't have to much to actually say. But I sure hope this forum gets rekindled. I kind of miss coming to dvxuser.
            MARS UNITED >>>>>>

Comment

I also like this camera
              Get me out of this 8bit world!

Comment

Originally posted by Mars United View Post

Check out the Bjork music video just shot with 2 Minis (3D). The link is on SI's home page.
                Where?
                Get me out of this 8bit world!

Comment

Originally posted by hawaj View Post
                  Where?

The video is here: http://media.ghostrobot.net/7020_wanderlust.html

To see some behind the scenes go here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=31251380

New York Times video:

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...2701d9f7a8d2ae

Those links are on Silicon Imaging's Digital Cinema home page:

http://www.siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/

Cheers.
                  MARS UNITED >>>>>>

Comment

That Bjork video is amazing. Who shot/directed it?
                    Bill Totolo
                    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

Comment

Originally posted by bill totolo View Post
                      That Bjork video is amazing. Who shot/directed it?
                      Sean Hellfritsch and Isaiah Saxon who both apparently direct under the moniker Encylopedia Pictura.

Got that from a blurb on Studio Daily here: (and there is an interview below that)

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/tech...dies/8811.html
                      MARS UNITED >>>>>>

Comment

I finally got to see the SI-2K up close at NAB, and I have to say - the touch screen interface is brilliant, easily the most intuitive I've seen on any digital cinema camera, the post-workflow with Cineform seems reasonably hassle free too. It makes beautiful pictures too, which is handy.

I also really like that they've kept the camera modular. If they decide to come out with a s35mm-sized imager (which seems almost inevitable these days) you'll be able to slot it straight in.
                        DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
                        www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Yeah, the design is really cool. I just got my SI-2K (had just the Mini and a laptop before) and it is really well built and the work flow on set is really easy. The need for a DIT is almost non-existent, in my opinion, as it is so intuitive to use and records forever on a hard drive as opposed to CF cards or something.
                          MARS UNITED >>>>>>

Comment

Out of interest Mars, what sort of things are you shooting with the SI-2K?
                            DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
                            www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post
                              Out of interest Mars, what sort of things are you shooting with the SI-2K?
                              The first Project was a feature film called Blood: A Butcher's tale. It was shot on green screen and the backgrounds are done with CG based off miniature models. Here is a link to some behind the scenes: LINK. This was shot with the Mini to laptop. Stars Aaron Douglas.

The second feature was called Thirst. IMDB LINK. It was shot in the desert under very dusty and harsh conditions. We had the laptop and gack on a C Stand, and just moved the camera and laptop around together most of the time. Hard shoot, but the Mini came through for us.

The other projects have been music videos and corporate videos. Other projects coming up.

Presently I am renting my NEW SI-2K (complete with camera body and EVF) to a feature being shot on Vancouver Island at Bay Film Studios. The full SI-2K is really well built, very reliable, and all you do is back up your hard drive at the end of the day. No CF cards. Record to internal or external hard drives. 4 hours straight recording on a 160 GB HD in 4:4:4 Cineform RAW, instantly editable off the drive. We are getting fantastic shallow DOF even at wider lenses. I'm hearing great feedback on the images, which is nice when you are renting the camera to them!

Finally, I'm trying to finish up my own project - a green screen music video shoot that is utilizing miniature model plates and a tiny bit of CG.

I'm having too much fun with this camera. Sorry for praising it so much. That wasn't your question. I've been meaning to write up a review on the new SI-2K, but I haven't had time yet. (I'm not super technical, so it would take me a bit of research and input from other colleagues to write something worthwhile).

Cheers.
                              MARS UNITED >>>>>>

Comment

Working...
                              X