Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to encode 720P HD files for Youtube.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ashr View Post
    I used the settings for "Instant HD" but youtube still says Processing... not sure what's going on. could it be because i used VBR for the audio instead of ABR?

edit: after processing, the quality was rather shi*ty compared to the file uploaded by me.
    Youtube can take up to a few hours before the HD version appears. Youtube basically has to encode your video 4-5 times depending on the resoltuion you upload. Here are the versions I know of that are being made every time you upload a video:

*1080p (If original video is 1920x1080)
    *720P (If original video is 1280x720 or higher)
    *480P (if original video is 640x480 or higher)
    *360P (Always made)
    *mobile phone (64kbps) I'm not sure of the video dimensions.
    Last edited by Demistate; 06-01-2010, 11:51 AM.
    Alexander Mejia, Creative Director at Human Interact

Comment

Yes, I think they've changed it. 2 reasons lead me to believe this:

1. A lot of users are complaining that their HD video uploads are squeezed horizontally. I don't think this was happening earlier.

2. I uploaded a file that had 44.1 kHz (IIRC) audio by "mistake" and it seemed to play fine. I can't check the file right now to confirm the audio frequency as I don't have it here but if that is the case, it could mean that Youtube has fixed the bug you talk about, changing the algorithm for "transcode or not" in the process.

BTW, Thank you for your contributions to this site. Many of your threads and posts have good info in them. Cheers.

Comment

What tool can i use to analyze the videostreams? I used to use Gspot back in the days. But that is a quite outdated tool.

I hope to find a suitable preset for megui that is not re-encoded by youtube.

Comment

i just read on doom9 that youtube has changed their site so that every single video is transcoded, no matter what the settings are... as people were abusing it.

Comment

could you post a link to the thread?

Comment

try these -

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144191

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143535

The posts by user Dark Shikari. While he hasn't stated how he got that information, I'd personally go with what he says. As an x.264 developer, he probably knows what he's talking about.

Comment

He is probably right but it doesn't hurt to try some settings. But what codecs do i need to play the latest Youtube videos? None of my mediaplayers can play it.

Comment

it seems like youtube it converts every time, but i can't be sure.

My test was by downloading a youtube hd file and then uploading it again to see if the new file was identical to the one i uploaded.

It was not the same file. But they were very similar to my understanding. What I noticed was that youtube always remove one frame.

Maybe someone with a greater knowledge could try this test and give a final verdict.

As far as i know youtube always convert their files nowadays. Which means you should try upload a video with a filesize as close to 1GB as possible.

Comment

Is there any way to upload a HD video but when not played HD it looks decent without pixilation?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ramirez View Post
                      Is there any way to upload a HD video but when not played HD it looks decent without pixilation?

Sorry, Youtube mobile quality always looks like crap. You can link people with a &fmt=18 at the end to force the 480P version.

Updated the first post.
                      Last edited by Demistate; 06-01-2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I just tried a test with the new Matrox CompressHD with their 1280x270P YouTube setting. This video is the actual output.
                        http://tinyurl.com/l5973f
                        It also shows a "Newhalem" MacPro encoding the same video multipass, kind of crazy to open Activity Monitor and see 16 cores. Anyhow, my old computer, last years MacPro was still faster with the CompressHD card than the Newhalem machine. I can't wait to have this in a portable version to take on the road.
                        Cheers,

Guy Cochran
                        DVeStore - DVXUser Sponsor - We match or beat anyone's advertised price on Sennheiser, RODE, Manfrotto, Miller, K-TEK, Countryman, Edirol, Lacie, G-Tech, Reflecmedia, Lowel, Litepanels, and Photoflex Coupon Code "dvxuser"

Comment

New machine, or encoding card, they still cost money. There are Free h.264 encoders that are top notch in terms of quality, as long as you have the time to encode , but in some businesses your time is worth that extra money.

Comment

ok, i'm a little late to the party and i've already skimmed over the posts. can someone let me know what the most current HD encoding settings are for loading videos on YouTube?

thanks in advance,
                            Mike
                            Los Angeles, CA USA
                            DP/Cam Op
                            www.MichaelBMcGee.co

Comment

Originally posted by Michael B. McGee View Post
                              can someone let me know what the most current HD encoding settings are for loading videos on YouTube?
                              Check the first post. I keep it updated regularly as things change.

Comment

thanks. i appreciate your help. at first i thought you had misspoke about YouTube allowing 1080P playback. this is the first time i'm hearing of this. so, double thanks to you.
                                Los Angeles, CA USA
                                DP/Cam Op
                                www.MichaelBMcGee.co

Comment

Working...
                                X