Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 3 way shoot out

Click Here to read the full article
    Last edited by Jarred Land; 02-20-2006, 09:30 AM.

Jarred,
    Great article, excellent informatio.
    William Gibson
    Wild Imagination Films

AFTER LIFE, CANVASES, MEMORIES OF GREEN, THE JADE EGG

Comment

Thanx

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you Jarred for this excellent and thorough article. I was was 80% certain of my choice and now I know.

Comment

Good job! (:

I searched the web for a comparison between camcorders in this class and found lots of airy discussions based on what people have heard... This however, is something quite different! A very good article!

My vote was with the HDR-FX1 (actually the HDR-Z1U). I was very close to buy the Z1U too. But you've pinpointed many problems and bad solutions about the camera, so I'm in doubt again. You've been very harsh on Sony, and this may be for a reason. HDV is an advantage, but it won't affect that many, yet.

My use for a new camera would be shooting snowboard and skateboard. Do you have a recommendation for me? I've not been into this for long, and this will be my first prosumer or proffesional camera. HELP! We'll be filming out in the streets in all kind of weather, good lux may be an issue.

Martin

Comment

Jarred, where did you guys have this article posted originally? I read it back in early March on another web site somewhere, it was what convinced me top buy the DVX, great article, thx!

Comment

Great Article !!! If I understand correctly from your testing, the DVX100A is superior in some ways to the Canon FX2. However, if the great majority of the work to be done involved nature wildlife (whales, salmon fishing, bears, etc) and nature scenes (waterfalls, passages, ocean, docks) taken from a 60' boat (stabilized) you would you then probably suggest the Canon? The 20x zoom, shoulder mount, and some other traits lead me to think that is the way I should go... then again I read about low light capability and color quality and I lean toward the DVX. Because I am going to produce this on DVD's for distribution I have stayed away from HD and staying with SD. My project will, ultimately, take about three years and involve filming from WA to Alaska on the inland waterway. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance

Comment

If the telephoto reach is a necessary part of your shooting, the XL2 will have a decided advantage over the DVX (not only because of the 20x zoom, but because you can also use still-camera lenses for incredible telephoto range). And if 16:9 origination is important to you (for making 16x9-native DVDs), the XL2 will have an advantage. The DVX is a great camera for many uses, but it is not the hands-down favorite for all uses, and it sounds like for your purposes the XL2 (or maybe the JVC HD100?) may be the more suitable choice.

Ultimately you should try to get your hands on each and see how you like them.
                The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Hey Barry, where else have I seen this article posted, did you guys have it on a commercial site for a while prior to this?

Comment

No, this is the only place it's been published, as far as I know...
                    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

ok, perhaps it was posted here a couple months back and I just didn't realize this is where I read it first, I think I got confused because the article has a posting date of June 3rd, did you guys write it a couple of months ago and just post it again? (I think I'm losing my mind because this article is definitely the one I used to make my decision to buy the DVX in mid-March)

Comment

We did that shootout last November, I think the article was first posted in January.

Probably the switch to the new site software that's confusing you -- the articles are in a different section and have a different look to them now. But this is the same article, and it was posted on this site (just under the old board software).

Comment

FX1: But what about the PAL and standard options?

Hey there! great article, amazingly thorough. Upon going to B&H and looking at the VX1 and the DVX, I was going to get the FX1 hands down: I loved the fat that it has a PAL setting (I've had a PAL camera for the last 4 years, and need to continue shooting in PAL for some doc projects) and had a zoom iris with a quick racking nob. And hey- HD! BUT after reading your article, yikes! The sound situaton, for starters, seems really sad. IDo have one question-- my DP friend seemed to say that you CAN shoot the FX1 in standard def mode, and then it is fine... but that yes, in HDV mode it is going to fall appart (given that yes, we all mostly show on standard def monitors, etc).

Can you talk a bit about those features, PAL and what the FX1 is like shooting in standard def (or maybe it doesn't)? Also, when i went to BH it was $1500 more expensive than the DVX! Thanks!

Comment

The FX1 is either NTSC or PAL, it cannot do both. And it is less expensive than the DVX.

So presumably you meant the Z1? The Z1 is more expensive and does both PAL and NTSC, and HD50i as well as HD60i.

In standard-def DV mode, the Z1's audio is, according to Oleg, quite competitive to the DVX. But, again according to Oleg, when you go into HD mode it most definitely isn't competitive.

You can definitely shoot the FX1/Z1 in standard-def or in high-def. In standard-def you get a native 16:9 image, but with lower-sensitivity (it's about 2 stops slower than a PD150) and with a contrastier image because of lower latitude. Some people like the look. In standard-def it shoots regular DV, so it has none of the motion artifacts/variable resolution of HDV, it's a regular DV camcorder when in standard def.

Comment

Wow! This article really cleared up a lot of worries I was having about my dvx going out of date. It is easily the most informative article I've ever read on the subject of camcorders.
                              Ron Earley

Comment

Working...
                              X