No announcement yet.

Affordable P2 Slot Reader for Macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It causes no problems. Whether you read the P2 card directly, or cabled through ethernet and through a Windows system, the file appears the same to the Apple.

And yes, P2 automatically creates new files when an existing footage file exceeds 4GB, and it's designed to have integrated pointers in each chunk of the overall spanned clip to point forwards and backwards so that they can be seamlessly pieced together.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Update

Hi Barry,
      Your advice on the P2 transfer was invaluable, but before I run out and pick up a windows laptop (gosh that's hard to even type being a Mac-phile), is there any update to the blog. Any new technology for painlessly transferring P2 cards in the field.
      Thanks

Comment

Panasonic sells a $350.00 single card p2 reader that connects via USB2 and works with Macs laptops.
        David S.

Accept No Imitations.
        www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
        and...
        www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
        Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

AJ-PCD2GPJ
          Single-slot P2 Memory Card Drive

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=AJ-PCD2GPJ

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
            I bet it would be hard to buy a modern laptop that had anything less than a gigabit ethernet connection nowadays. If it's got an ethernet connection at all, it's probably a Gig-E connection.

But, the only way to know for sure is to check the statistics, or to actually connect it to a known gigabit connection (all macs offered for sale new today have gigabit ethernet connections). We tried a 3-year-old laptop and it connected, but at 100.0mbps. Then we tried my relatively-new Lenovo and it connected at 1.0gbps. Check the "network connection properties" and it'll tell you what speed you connected at.

You could also go into the control panel's device manager, look at your ethernet adapter, and see if it'll tell you. Or, if it doesn't say directly, you could at least get the model number and then google it for the specifics.

As a side note, the 100mbps connection (so-called "Fast Ethernet") did connect and did sort of work. We were able to offload a 4GB P2 card to the Mac through the ethernet connection, but it took about 6 minutes (vs. 2 minutes with the Gigabit Ethernet). However, the 100mbps connection didn't let us use FCP's Import P2 function and it wouldn't let us edit from the P2 card. So you'll get a slow card importer with 100mbps ethernet, but you get all the joy and happiness if you go with the Gigabit ethernet.
            Barry I am confussed, a gigabit connection is wireless and a fast ethernet is though the cable? or can they both be wireless, like the one you used for your test was that though a wireless connection?

Comment

Gigabit ethernet is a cabled connection. There's 10-megabit, 100-megabit (aka "fast" ethernet) and 1000-megabit (aka "gigabit ethernet").
              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                It causes no problems. Whether you read the P2 card directly, or cabled through ethernet and through a Windows system, the file appears the same to the Apple.

And yes, P2 automatically creates new files when an existing footage file exceeds 4GB, and it's designed to have integrated pointers in each chunk of the overall spanned clip to point forwards and backwards so that they can be seamlessly pieced together.
                Barry,
                Maybe things have changed since I was a PC user, but I thought Windows wouldn't allow over a 2gig file? Seem to recall my Avid suite breaking everything into 1.9987 gig files. And when I look at my P2 card to import the file it can be huge, taking up the whole card if I do a long take such as a speaker. (Using 16gig cards) I don't see it as multiple files. Or is it just importing as one big file into my Mac instead of multiple smaller files on the card? Just a little P2 magic going on behind the scenes?

Jim
                PS Been reading your HVX/HPX book this week. Had it on my shelf for two years. Wish I read it when I got the rig! LOL!
                Jim Ross
                HD Cinematographer
                www.theultimatehdproductions.com

Comment

Windows supports huge file sizes, but the file system of the P2 card is FAT32, which supports up to 4GB per file. Any larger than 4GB and it has to close the current file at 4GB and start a new file. If you're using Log & Transfer to turn the MXF files into Quicktime files, it's probably aggregating all the individual 4GB clips into one big MOV file.

Comment

Originally posted by HVXguy View Post
                    AJ-PCD2GPJ
                    Single-slot P2 Memory Card Drive

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=AJ-PCD2GPJ
                    Anyone out there got some experience with this one on Mac/Win?

Comment

I'm not doing mac/win, but on a win-only system, I'm doing okay with one of these:
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-Panasonic-P2...#ht_2225wt_702
                      All my 3.5 bays were full, had to find a tray adapter for a 7, once that was done everything went fine. Had it about a year now and all is well.
                      Stephen Self
                      - GearHead -
                      www.tylerfilmfest.com
                      www.n-ventivetv.com
                      www.blip.tv/nventive

Comment

Hi Barry, I just bought a used HVX200. I'm very excited! Question - if I went the route of using a Windows laptop in the filed, would I be able to remove the P2 card from the camera, continue shooting on a fresh P2, then, in the meantime, plug the used P2 into the laptop to begin downloading footage? Where does it plug in? Do Windows laptops have a P2 slot?
                        Thanks, Dennis

Comment

Recommend this http://www.amtron.com/reader/p2card_reader.htm Will only work on 32bit OS
                          Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
                          Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
                          Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

Comment

Using the AJ-PCD2GPJ Single-slot P2 reader on a macbook pro (the newer one, i7) works seamlessly, super reliable, very happy with it. Running snow leopard only.
                            AF100 - Contax Zeiss - Sachtler FSB8 T

Comment

Working...
                            X