My First DOF Adapter ... Now I have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First DOF Adapter ... Now I have questions

First let me apologize if these questions have been asked before. I did search the forum and could not find an answer.

I have a Canon HF-10 and just purchased a DOF adapter for it from Ebay called the CAM35. I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens connected to it.

Question(s):

Should I have the camera set to manual focus or auto-focus?

I cant seem to get the camera to focus on anything. Do I need to have other extensions connected to it? Everything is blurred.

What do I used to mount my LCD upside down? I know this may sound like a stupid question, and I am sure once you tell my Ill kick myself for not figuring it out.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Craig

Ok - a little patience and I figured out the focusing problem. I have to be real close to the subject to get it in focus.

Comment

Ok, now Im really confused ..... when I turn my camera upside down, the image is still upside down. Why is that?

Comment

I will help you out man, I'm not familiar with your specific brand of adapter, but most adapters need an achromat lens screwed directly to the camera lens, then you zoom in your camera till you get past the vignetting. But if you zoom to far you will lose the ability to focus. Your second question- the lens will flip the image just like your eyes see, but we have a brain to flip it right side, this is why we dont see upside down, the camera doesn't have a brain to process the info, so you will need either a monitor to flip the image, or do it in post. there are some adapters that have a mirror system to flip the image, but it also adds to light loss. hope this helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by cyorkgo View Post

Should I have the camera set to manual focus or auto-focus?

I cant seem to get the camera to focus on anything.
          Just to confirm; you know that final focus will be achieved with the lens (not the camera).

Some adapters had a 'flip' unit that turned the image the right way up (at the expense of more light). The option you have is to just flip the video in post, or get an external monitor that can flip the image for you in realtime (a lot of hdmi external battery powered monitors for sale on ebay have this option).
          http://vimeo.com/channels/guerrillafilms

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. One more question I know it may sound stupid, but: how do you mount your monitor (LCD) upside down? Is there a bracket I can purchase that flips upside down?

Comment

you can get something like a articulated arm and mount it upside down: http://www.coollcd.com/11-coolarm11-...ad2c4d4ebb2ba7

but most monitors now have the option to flip the image without needing to actually flip the monitor upside down

Comment

Hey, I just ordered one of these.

Did you fix the focusing problem, or does it still have limited focus-range?

Comment

Working...
                X