Canon user thread - post your pictures here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon user thread - post your pictures here

UPDATE: ALL CANON IMAGES ARE WELCOME. (not just XT)

Originally, this thread was started to see examples of photos taken with the Rebel XT, but was later changed to include all Canons.

Original opening post:
    In my first thread asking for more Nikon vs Canon advice, a couple members suggested a Rebel XT equivalent to the Nikon D50 user thread. So, here it is. I was hesitant to post this since I'm a new member and don't have anything to contribute (yet), but I'm really interested in seeing your images (and it seems a few others are too).

So have at it... post your pics and any other info you care to share (lens you used, post processing, etc)... anything XT related is fair game.

Chad
    Last edited by CR_OPSO; 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM.
    Change your homepage. Change your world.

Chad,
    I'm in the same position as you, so thgouh I have nothing to contribute either, I appriciate the thread.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

Comment

I allready have some posted in other threads, but you can ceck them out there.

Comment

Some random pics taken w/ my stock xt. Only thing used was some brightness/contrast and maybe levels in PS.

Comment

DJ,
          I really like the first one. Thanks for getting us started!

Chad

Comment

while this is a fun thread i would take what you get with caution. i mean you have no idea what set up any of the images were captured in or to what degree they were manipulated. a simple photoshop tweak will make much more of a difference than a small discrepancy between each camera's performance. of course if you want a slightly more quantitative approach then you can look on sites such as dpreview.. that will probably give you the best side by side comparisons. but i really think that viewing a random slew of photos originating from infinitely differing shooting conditions, lighting, post processing isn't at all a good way to choose a camera... all of the above factors will far overshadow any little differences between the cameras themselves. i guarantee that if you see photos you like, the results can be attributed 99.9% to the photographer and not to the camera he/she used. but then again you probably already know this. granted i know you want to get the best for you hard earned money, but there are better methods to choosing in my opinion. on a lighter note this (along with the d50 thread) is a great way to see just what others are coming up with!
            http://www.hiatusbmx.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boy
              on a lighter note this (along with the d50 thread) is a great way to see just what others are coming up with!
              true! And, even if a picture looks fantastic from a lot of hardwork, photoshopping and a gifted eye, the camera/lens combo is still necessary to reach that potential. besides, looking at great pics with beautiful colors, strikes up a great dialogue and is just plain fun!
              Formally known as rlm7189...

Comment

Originally posted by Boy
                while this is a fun thread i would take what you get with caution. i mean you have no idea what set up any of the images were captured in or to what degree they were manipulated. a simple photoshop tweak will make much more of a difference than a small discrepancy between each camera's performance. of course if you want a slightly more quantitative approach then you can look on sites such as dpreview.. that will probably give you the best side by side comparisons. but i really think that viewing a random slew of photos originating from infinitely differing shooting conditions, lighting, post processing isn't at all a good way to choose a camera... all of the above factors will far overshadow any little differences between the cameras themselves. i guarantee that if you see photos you like, the results can be attributed 99.9% to the photographer and not to the camera he/she used. but then again you probably already know this. granted i know you want to get the best for you hard earned money, but there are better methods to choosing in my opinion. on a lighter note this (along with the d50 thread) is a great way to see just what others are coming up with!
                I thought this was a thread about posting rebel XT pics. what does that have to do with other cameras, and why does that matter? Don't know if youv'e checked out the D50 thread, but there's alot of photoshoppin in there as well? I say, if you shooting digital, better know photoshop, becasue that is your darkroom, and that is where the magic happens.

Comment

Originally posted by scharky
                  I thought this was a thread about posting rebel XT pics. what does that have to do with other cameras, and why does that matter? Don't know if youv'e checked out the D50 thread, but there's alot of photoshoppin in there as well? I say, if you shooting digital, better know photoshop, becasue that is your darkroom, and that is where the magic happens.
                  that's just it, this thread was a direct product of the author's previous inquiry on what camera he should buy. he mentioned that he was swayed towards the d50 after seeing the d50 thread, and so someone proposed that he start a "post your XT pics here" thread to level the playing field a bit. this is where i am interjecting that you really shouldn't base a camera purchase on comparisons that have so many confounding variables. i'm sure you would agree. by trying to make this comparison, you would be basing your camera purchase far more on the criterion "which camera model happens to have the most skilled photographers using them on dvxuser's photo forum" than on which camera is actually a physically better performer.

i agree 100% that PS is the darkroom and it really is a necessity. i also agree that the d50 thread has just as mush PS work too.. in fact my comments were aimed to illustrate this exact point: both threads have image manipulations (among other variables not controlled for) therefore using this as a basis for testing "which camera is better" isn't a reliable test by any means.

and again my comment still stands regarding that it is a great way to see what others are coming up with. so many people use the same or almost identical equipment, yet yield results that are so vastly different!
                  http://www.hiatusbmx.com

Comment

Boy is correct that I set this up to sort of "level the playing field". I agree, it's not an accurate way to see which camera is better and thank you for pointing it out to those that might not realize that.

The main reason I set it up was to see what dvxusers could come up with using the XT. I've seen other d50 and xt photos that weren't nearly as impressive as some of those in the d50 thread. It's a little hard not to be swayed toward whatever camera they are using (especially since I was already on the fence). So, I thought this thread would be a good idea to show exactly what you're saying... that it's not necessarily the camera, but the skills of the members here. I fully expect to see images just as impressive in this thread. (So, bring 'em on!) If such a thread existed before, I probably wouldn't have second-guessed my original decision.

Looking at dpchallenge convinced me that both camera produce awesome pictures (in the right hands).

Chad

Comment

but it is a way to see that great images can also be produced with the xt/photoshop as well as the nikon. and i am a nikon guy....
                      "There is no forest. There are no trees."

Cinematography Reel on Vimeo

www.fisherfilmworks.com

Comment

LESS TALK MORE PICTURES!

Always always post lens info after the shots... thanks for mentioning kit lens, but everybody post lens info if you post a pic.
                        LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

Comment

Originally posted by MattinSTL
                          LESS TALK MORE PICTURES!

Always always post lens info after the shots... thanks for mentioning kit lens, but everybody post lens info if you post a pic.
                          Well... since nobody would post any more pictures, I guess I'll toss one out. Yep, I got the XT yesterday. I didn't get home until pretty late, so my choice of subject was pretty limited. My daughter wasn't in much of a picture taking mood... so I looked around outside for something... anything before it got too dark. I almost stepped on this guy. He didn't appear to be in a much of a picture-taking mood either, but I took his picture anyway.

So far, I'm really liking this camera, but I have a lot to learn about it and photography in general. That's actually why I wanted a digital SLR in the first place... I think I'll learn quicker seeing immediate results of different settings instead of waiting for the film to be developed.

Almost forgot... this picture was taken with the kit lens.

Chad

Comment

The Cat

Come on, guys! I can't be the only one posting pictures in this thread! I guess I'm going to have to send this camera back and get the d50 so I'll have somebody to talk to!

Just kidding... I really like it and haven't had any trouble adjusting to the small grip. I think, for my purpuses, the small size is going to be a benefit.

Anyway... here's one of my cats (Riley). Looking back, I wish I didn't cut off his butt... but he doesn't sit still for long so I had to snap this one in a hurry. I'm still really new to photoshop, so my skills are pretty limited. I adjusted the curves, darkened part of the background to make his shadow a little less obvious, changed his eye color, and sharpened it. I thought the blue looked better since it's similar to the blue behind his head. (His eyes are really yellowish green.)

As in the other thread (or really "THE thread" since this is "that other thread" ), comments, suggestions, critiques, or whatever are welcome.

18-55mm kit lens

Comment

CR... yeah I'd like to see more pics too. I could easily have gone Canon on this deal... they have a $100 rebate right now... so it's only $699 WITH A lens at costco!

At this point I'm pretty sure it's gonna' be an N... this time... but I'd like to see my fellow DVX buds showin' off their skills wit da' stills.

Caption for the frog: "So do ya' wanna' save some freakin' money on dis car insurance or don'cha?"
                              LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

Comment

Working...
                              X