Fuji X Camera

smithy

I just received my new Fuji X-E2 with 18-55mm f2.8 lens kit. I tell you if you haven't checked out Mirrorless Fuji systems…you are missing out. The DSLR is dead especially for street photography. If you like a fixed lens system…go no further than the X100s.

With the latest firmware update, the x100 became easier to manage with faster AF and focus peaking. I love this camera. I've seen some poor skin results from the sensor in the x100s.

Been thinking of getting an XE1 and the 35mm f/1.4.

My pocket cam is an XF1.

When Fuji releases a camera that can shoot as fast as a Canon DSLR, I will sell my Canon 6D and 7D and L lenses. But I doubt that day will ever come. It's also doubtful, based on their lenses, that they'll increase the size of their sensors. DSLRs aren't dead because they're much faster.

I brought the X100 for stills when I sailed from Israel to Cyprus. It was an easy choice.

Untitled by jordandov, on Flickr[/IMG]

Untitled by jordandov, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yea, Fuji seems to be on a roll as of late. I'll be picking up the X-T1 when its available. i'll be selling my 60d soon after..

Mirrorless cameras are not a new development. In the film days, there were point and shoots, mirrorless and SLRs and the sensors on all these cameras were the same ;) There was a strong market for each because each has their strengths that are inherent in their design and form factor. Along with a comfortable grip an SLRs large mirror (reflex) is the biggest advantage it has and will always be the camera of choice for those that need to shoot with speed and accuracy.

The sensor technology of mirrorless was late to the digital game but just because the camera is smaller and offers the same image quality of DSLRs doesnt mean the DSLR is dead by any means.

That being said, I've definitely been interested in the x100s as a personal camera for myself, however, the price is prohibitive. My DSLR, while big, can do almost anything I need of it. I can't think of a mirrorless system that could replace 90% of the paid work I do or even 40% for personal use.

I am totally with egproductions. The DSLR can do so much. Even when used on the street it performs well. And for my professional work it is not easily replaceable. I own a Fuji X100 and am not so pleased with it. Occasionally I am happy with photos, however, the menu and ergonomics are poor. After using it for an extended period I found it rather frustrating. On the street it was a real pleasure to get back to my Leica M4, take a light reading, set the shutter and f-stop and just focus and shoot and know that everything will look great.

The sensor technology of mirrorless was late to the digital game but just because the camera is smaller and offers the same image quality of DSLRs doesnt mean the DSLR is dead by any means.

The X100 is not popular merely because it is smaller than a DSLR and has an APS-C sized sensor. It is popular among photographers because the camera itself is sexy-looking (but not a head-turner; in fact, its looks will allow you to get candids whereas a DSLR causes people to shy away) and well-built, with real knobs you can turn. Its 35mm f/2 lens (35mm equiv) is magnificent. Its flash, when used for fill (I set mine at -2/3), is always natural looking. Fuji's colors are gorgeous.

And I'm not saying, as before, that the DSLR is dead. It's not. The DSLR is much faster and that speed is often needed when shooting events, sports, and kids, etc.

I own a Fuji X100 and am not so pleased with it. Occasionally I am happy with photos, however, the menu and ergonomics are poor. After using it for an extended period I found it rather frustrating.

This camera, as noted, is not without its quirks. But all cameras have quirks and the owner of a camera must learn the camera in order to operate it well.

This camera, as noted, is not without its quirks. But all cameras have quirks and the owner of a camera must learn the camera in order to operate it well.

Yes, many cameras have quirks. My gripe with the x100 is the amount of quirks and idiosyncrasies are much more than most digital cameras. I learned most of the "quirks" on the x100 and became proficient with the camera, but always found them "in my face". Although Canon cameras, for instance, have a couple of quirks, they have a much more logical menu and interface.

Yes, many cameras have quirks. My gripe with the x100 is the amount of quirks and idiosyncrasies are much more than most digital cameras. I learned most of the "quirks" on the x100 and became proficient with the camera, but always found them "in my face". Although Canon cameras, for instance, have a couple of quirks, they have a much more logical menu and interface.

Did you update the firmware to 2.0? MF is better, AF is faster, and focus peaking has been added.

I'm curious which quirks exactly are "in your face". In what instances? I can tell you my only major complaint is the number of clicks it takes to turn AUTO ISO on or off. Why it isn't listed with all the ISO choices boggles the mind. Fortunately, I don't engage and disengage it often.

I have not used the x100 for about a year but did have the latest Firmware as of June of last year. I never had a problem with the AF like others have complained about. I had 2 big problems--sometimes the display would change(maybe from accidentally hitting a button) and over exposure (sticky aperture issue?). I programmed the Fn button to ISO and that helped. I admit my impressions are subjective and many others don't have these impressions. I will try the camera out again in the future and give it another chance. I like a lot about the camera - size, viewfinder, low light capability, but just feel its fighting me when I use it. When I shoot my Leica or Canon 5DmkII things go more smoothly and I concentrate on my subject more and get better results. Maybe it's just me, but I have been using digital cameras professionally for over 10 years.

There is a more recent firmware and it really is awesome.

I'd check your serial number to see if the sticky aperture blade issue is applicable. I know if it starts with a 2, you're OK. Overexposure is a sign. Also, if you're shooting wide open on a sunny day, you'll definitely need to engage the ND filter because the leaf shutter's speed is limited to 1/1000 and this is most likely the reason for your overexposure problem.

Lately, I've been shooting at about f/4 in bright sunshine with the ND filter engaged and fill flash set at -2/3 and really like the results. Shot my kids on the beach yesterday like this and got great color, no harsh shadows.

Last edited:
Well to give a update…I also purchased a used X-E1 and now i have a two camera rig using my BlackRapid Dr2 with 18-55mm on X-E1 and 55-200mm on my X-E2. With all the firmware upgrades this setup works well..especially if you shoot Documentary and Music Venues. It's so much lighter than my previous Nikon D300/D700 setup with heavy lenses. Not to mention…I can get up a lot closer to my subjects without them getting shy by looking at big lenses in their face. Now I am going to wait for the upcoming Xpro2 and hope to see how that works out. In addition, I added a Metabones Speedbooster NF-Xmount so I can still use all my Nikon primes and zooms.

I bought an XE1 a few months ago because I wanted to try a bunch of vintage lenses on it. Of course, that didn't prevent me from getting it with the "kit" lens and Fuji's 50mm 1.4.

It's only been used for stills so I'll have to start experimenting with video. I usually shoot video with an LX7 or else a Canon 7d or 6d. If I'm shooting a long scene, I'll use an HF1, which I think I'll still like in 20 years.

I think I may get the Speedbooster, Smithy. How do you like it? What are the drawbacks? I've got a couple of fast Nikon primes I'd love to use with it. The 55mm f1.2 and a 35mm f1.4 and a Mir 24N in Nikon mount.

I like the metabones so far….I been experimenting with it on long lenses (85mm and up). I find it worth the expense since my old glass is fast and solid. As for video…I prefer to use my old SGPRO setup since the Fuji X series are not very strong for video work. But for stills it is good. Just make sure you have a Arca Swiss plate on your camera and a sturdy tripod with Arca Swiss mount. on it. My Blackrapid is setup with Arca Swiss capability as well as my tripod.

http://youtu.be/O10I4D5VaFE

http://youtu.be/n4LvZ957Sew?list=UUnGQjVXHOC7lGSr3R9wxuaw

The DSLR will not die until the AF systems from Fuji and Sony match the performance of the DSLR. I have been an early adopter of the Fuji X system but I would not use it to shoot weddings. I shoot weddings for a living and the AF of the X and A7 systems are not precise enough is real low light (6400 iso, 1.4, 1/50s). My Nikon D750 can lock AF without much of an issue.

The Fuji x system is pretty incredible. Sharp, great color, good bokeh, light and good ISO performance.
I have a fuji Xt10 with 35 and 18-55 for my everyday, travel and carry around camera. I love the system.

I just picked up a Fujifilm X-T2 and I am blown away. I've owned canon DSLR (5Diii etc), Sony A7s etc and this is my first Fujifilm and now I understand why A LOT of pros are switching to Fujifilm X series. YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE AND PERFORMANCE!!!!!! Image is just beautiful.

I just picked up a Fujifilm X-T2 and I am blown away. I've owned canon DSLR (5Diii etc), Sony A7s etc and this is my first Fujifilm and now I understand why A LOT of pros are switching to Fujifilm X series. YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE AND PERFORMANCE!!!!!! Image is just beautiful.

Welcome to the team.

I sold off all of my Nikon gear for Fuji.

It is a great system.

Back