Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do my photos look different on the internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do my photos look different on the internet?

So I have been editing some photos lately and when I post them on the internet they look completely different. If I download the image from the internet and view it on my computer again it looks the way it should.

Is this a color space issue?
    LEARNING TO IMAGE

Yup.

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html

Some browsers can handle some colour spaces that others can't.
    I think Safari is the best one for that issue, but I don't use it :P

Comment

long and short, export using an sRGB color profile and you will be fine.

Comment

Hi,

Photos will process to the web differently for sure.

There are two methods for exporting jpeg photos from Photoshop CS3 and some of the other CS family PS's, the best is prepping using the File>Save For Web & Devices - from there you can use a menu of options that mimic the actual output you'll see as well as what sort of images you can expect to get.

There's a ton of useful information in the dialog boxes, too.

Remember, initially the Web was meant to reduce color information. Depending upon which graphic application you use to prep your images, it might be reducing too much.
        Mike Gunter
        VideoTidbits
        Glacier Lily Productions

Comment

you (zergtherobot) and mino have very similiar avatars...it confused me for a second.
          Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

Comment

Originally posted by egproductions View Post
            you (zergtherobot) and mino have very similiar avatars...it confused me for a second.
            Yeh...I'm like...I don't remember posting that question

Comment

you can tweak the color profile of your photo until the cows come home, but you can't control the color profile of the monitor that is being used to view the picture... hopefully it'll be a crt, but if it's an lcd, there will probably be gamma issues.

you can't control the browser that's being used to view the picture... last i heard, internet explorer doesn't do color profiling with photos(??), firefox color management is turned off by default, and windows has over 90% of the operating systems on the internet.

so the odds of your photo being viewed on a properly set up system are rather small.
              Drag Racing Videos

Comment

thanks for the responses. I am going to do some more playing around to see if I can yield some better results.
                LEARNING TO IMAGE

Comment

Working...
                X