Cinematic Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinematic Photography

As a cinematographer, practicing ones skill usually comes from shooting films, music videos, commercials, etc. In those downtime's between shows though, I like to continue lighting for photography, the same as I would for moving images. It keeps me fresh and allows me to work out concepts and ideas without having to attempt something on a production.

If you can make a photograph look beautiful, your tools and techniques can be easily transferred to other mediums, like film and HD. Shooting on a DSLR offers most of the DR of film and high end HD systems like the F23 and Genesis, so you aren't sacrificing much in the image.

My goal is to update this weekly, and to produce photographs of a cinematic nature, in practicing lighting for motion picture.

...More to come.
    Last edited by Andrew Brinkhaus; 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM.
    Andrew Brinkhaus |director of photography
    www.andrewbrinkhaus.com
    Los Angeles

Great Idea Andrew, I'll be watching this thread, I like the second pic as it has less distraction by your DOF marker so to speak. Looking forward to more!!

Comment

Well...this is an awesome thread to start and I hope many will contribute. I am going to have to do a lot of work. I am going to have to do a lot with natural light, I don't have access to hot lights anymore not being close to Full Sail poo poo.
      Adam Gonzalez | www.AdamGonz.com |

Comment

I am liking this idea. You can count me in for posting from time to time.
        LEARNING TO IMAGE

Comment

Sure thing guys.

Might have a few more up tomorrow.
          www.andrewbrinkhaus.com
          Los Angeles

Comment

I really like your stuff Andrew, particularly how much attention you give to lighting just right.

Comment

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

I am thinking of also including an overhead diagram with the lighting setups for each photo. Thoughts on this?
              www.andrewbrinkhaus.com
              Los Angeles

Comment

Yes that would be helpful for us to understand how the result was achieved. If you could include type of light, wattage, softbox, gelled etc might be helpful to.

Comment

Sure thing.
                  www.andrewbrinkhaus.com
                  Los Angeles

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

Huh, this would make a cool contest. For instance, here's a page of a script. Now go shoot me a wide, two singles in medium, and OTS closeups. It'd be good exercise if nothing else, and yeah it takes work but not an enormous amount of work...

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
                      Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) – "A very cool, slick and well done short."
                      Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
                      Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on TwitterIMDb

Comment

I actually like this idea since I'm a photog also

Comment

Here is a random shot I took, all I really did was letterbox it.

Hurray
                          Attached Files
                          LEARNING TO IMAGE

Comment

Nice!
                            Adam Gonzalez | www.AdamGonz.com |

Comment

Here is another shot I took coming off a night shift. Again all I did was change the aspect ratio. I want to experiment more with lighting.
                              Attached Files
                              LEARNING TO IMAGE

Comment

Working...
                              X