Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Gun: Maverick

new trailer out. gotta say, tom cruise knows how to make a Movie

it looks almost as pretty as the original and just as exciting. sure, it was jingoistic propaganda that boosted navy recruitment 500%. but dang it looked good

I'm glad they manage to get Val Kilmer in there, and Jon Hamm clearly owns his part.

also, if you're gonna make a Requel, this is clearly how you do it
    www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

I thought the original was cheesy as hell but I'll probably go see it. And yeah, there is something deeply unsettling about Tom Cruise but he always delivers.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Hall View Post
      I thought the original was cheesy as hell but I'll probably go see it. And yeah, there is something deeply unsettling about Tom Cruise but he always delivers.
      cheesy but a very effective boy movie. male camaraderie, pack mentality, father/son stuff.

i remember a story that the director paid an exorbitant amount of money to get the aircraft carrier to make a slight course adjustment to catch a better angle of the setting sun. it's those kinds of touches that hollywood seems to skimp on these days on everything below a superhero movie. (correct me if I'm wrong)

similar with the new mission impossible movie. (I haven't watched any past the first 3 or 4, they started to get goofy.) but apparently cruise is going way over-budget as he adds a submarine into the nearly completed installment. that kind of commitment to spectacle, making sure that if you go on the big screen, you have to do something grand, something new
      www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

The original was fun, although I have no desire to see another installment after all these years. I did enjoy watching a where are they now. Shocking myself in the process how much everyone has aged (except Tom Cruise) Man poor Val Kilmer! I will always remember your locker room chomp in Toms face. Had no idea Kelly McGillis was into women...

Comment

Shirtless volleyball playing confirmed. This time with chicks added to take the gay edge off the original scene.
          "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Comment

Originally posted by Batutta View Post
            Shirtless volleyball playing confirmed. This time with chicks added to take the gay edge off the original scene.
            But the original gratuitous, shirtless volleyball scene was the icing on the cheese cake

Comment

Originally posted by Batutta View Post
              if the women are shirtless, that would definitely do it. although I don't think there was anything wrong with the homoerotic undertones in the original, which were pretty pervasive (as in the locker room scenes)
              www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

if the women are shirtless, that would definitely do it. although I don't think there was anything wrong with the homoerotic undertones in the original, which were pretty pervasive (as in the locker room scenes)
                LOL...I had no problem with the homoeroticism of the original, but it indicates to me the filmmakers did. Tony Scott's reaction to people calling out the homosexual undertones of the original film was "Make no mistake. I love pussy."
                "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Comment

It's the "danger zone" in between over the top macho-ism and homoeraticism

Comment

I saw some bts and tony had used used Bruce Weber stills as a look book for the volleyball/changing rooms which I thought was great

https://i0.wp.com/arnoldzwicky.s3.am...unksAtPlay.jpg
                    http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Will "Maverick" be flying a MiG-29 that NATO "forgot" to hand over to the Ukrainians?

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                        I saw some bts and tony had used used Bruce Weber stills as a look book for the volleyball/changing rooms which I thought was great

https://i0.wp.com/arnoldzwicky.s3.am...unksAtPlay.jpg
                        That explains it
                        www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
                          Will "Maverick" be flying a MiG-29 that NATO "forgot" to hand over to the Ukrainians?
                          That was the real reason they couldn't deliver the planes. they were booked for filming the maverick sequel
                          www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Well the reviews for this are downright ecstatic, with most considering it much better than the original. Definitely going to catch this one in IMAX if I can.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/top_gun_maverick

Comment

The original - especially, the air combat/dogfight scenes - were the best ads for selling the home entertainment systems in 1986-87. One needed a HiFi VCR with the Dolby chip and a 4-channel stereo system with two front and two rear speakers. The original Dolby Surround was three channels : left, right and the monaural rear. In 1988, Dolby Pro Logic came out en masse - relatively speaking - and added the 4th channel for the center audio (usually for the dialog). A larger screen TV could have provided the finishing touch but those were pretty expensive into 1991-92, yet also flew off the shelves.

Comment

Working...
                              X