Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple candidate cameras:

1. Varicam
    This was possibly the first and perhaps only “mojo” digital video camera.

2. DVX100
    Because of this forum and what it meant to would be film makers.

3. F35
    Because it is the only discontinued digital camera to make a comeback based on image quality alone.

4. Alexa
    Because it has been the best since it was released in April, 2010, 9 years ago!

5. 5D mkII
    Perhaps because it was all an accident, this camera stayed relavent even after the mkIIi replaced it. Later it would be the Magic Lantern camera and get raw recording. Ergonomics and being the first full frame video camera, and the poster child for the so called dslr recolution eclipsing the dvx100 not just in popularity, but in it’s effect on the art and industry.

I have access to all of these cameras, except the dvx. I may pick one up if no one has one available.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-24-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Black magic and Red are not going to be considered classics at this time. Good cameras, for sure, but just going to single them out to keep things manageable.

They are cameras that have been pixel peeped and fanboyed into stigma. The brand name has overshadowed any specific model, and they would be going up against cameras from Arri, Sony, Canon, and Panasonic. So the waters are pretty muddy. Red brought 4K, and brought the price of cinema to an affordable level, and BM furthered that trend, but... hey, look, Toyota made the camry. A good car that can outperform a Ford Model T, but... yeah, you get the idea.

They can be considered reference or counterpart cameras, so if we can get our hands on them, we’ll throw them in the mix. If you can think of a digital video camera that I missed, but you think we should celebrate as a classic (even something forgotten and overlooked), share your thoughts about.

Just wanted to throw that out there before anyone wanted to start recommending black magic or red, as i am sure there are good arguments for both.
      Last edited by James0b57; 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

anyone know if the inage from the DVX100 was different external or to tape?

Comment

How about adding the Sony F900 to the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Imamacuser View Post
            Adding it for reference, or adding it because it is a classic?

Comment

F900 is a definite classic. Was the first HD camera I worked with, and it shot many theatrical features in it's day.
              Last edited by nothing; 03-25-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I'd agree. If you are going to include the original Varicam, the F900 has it's place alongside it.

I shot this feature on the F900 back in 2005. Had a brief theatrical run.

Charles Papert
                charlespapert.com

Comment

Does anyone in LA have a Sony F900 to lend for a few days?

Comment

Classic Digital?
                    How about tube?

Ahh the fun of parking Plumbicons on a white wall to remove the burn-in before shooting the next show.

Sorry, don't miss it!

Comment

Originally posted by Imamacuser View Post
                      You beat me to it. I shot Lord knows how much in the early 00's on the F900 before I bought my first VariCam(27H)

Until the HDX-900 came out and you were a freelancer shooting HD in the broadcast/network world, you owned an F900 or VariCam.

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
                        Classic Digital?
                        How about tube?

Ahh the fun of parking Plumbicons on a white wall to remove the burn-in before shooting the next show.

Sorry, don't miss it!
                        That sounds like an awful routine.

Sensors are so clean and shooting raw, we hardly even have to black or white balance. We have it pretty good.
                        Last edited by James0b57; 03-27-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
                          .... Ahh the fun of parking Plumbicons on a white wall to remove the burn-in before shooting the next show. ...
                          I remember getting screamed at by the director my first time on a tube camera when I zoomed out too far and included the studio lights. "LIGHTS!". Good times.
                          Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Now it's like: "Hey, zoom out a bit to get some of those lights in."

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                              Now it's like: "Hey, zoom out a bit to get some of those lights in."
                              So true

Comment

@CharlesPapert
                                @nothing
                                @Run&Gun
                                @Imamacuser

What are some of the attributes you like about the F900?

Also, Charles, you at the helm of any camera is cheating, you bring a lot of craft and style no matter what gear you are using.

Comment

Working...
                                X