No announcement yet.

Black Friday 2021 Deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"This Black Friday Prolycht is offering a 3-for-2 offer on the Orion 300 FS LED full spectrum spotlight. From Friday, November 26, 2021 through Friday, December 3, 2021, simply buy two Orion 300 FS units from a participating dealer and you will receive a third for free." - Newsshooter
    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

the award for biggest discount goes to Just Mobile AluFrame Case for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus (Gray), marked down from $39.95 to $0.25: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...or_iphone.html
      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Fine examples of things that dont hold thier own in the market. Sorry the Prolicght is about 10x the cost of godox and 10% better (puts head down for response)

Cases cages.. basically they were purchased at the time of the device being current or are dead. Be that iPhone or the C200 cage I mentioned above.
        http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
          Sorry the Prolicght is about 10x the cost of godox and 10% better (puts head down for response)
          I haven't looked closely at the Prolycht but I'm pretty sure it does a lot of things a Godox can't do. Plus probably way more durable?

"better" is hard to quantify. if something makes all of your footage better, is it only 10% better or 100% better? Or maybe it pushes you over a threshold from misery to bliss or unusable to usable. It's like that with AF on photo lenses. A lens can be 10% faster or more accurate than another but lead to you making 50% more of your shots. Or simply delivering shots in backlit scenarios or other edge cases.

So the better question is just if you need the capabilities of the unit or not, and if you can make extra money from it. I probably don't and couldn't. But I'd gladly trade my COBs for Orions if it were free
          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

$198 for a WD 12TB HDD at B&H deal zone today. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...esktop_hd.html

That's $16.5/TB, which I think is the lowest cost I've ever seen. Cheap drives bottom out at about $20/TB these days, which I think was roughly where they were before the Thailand flooding in 2012 that spiked HDD prices. Or maybe they were $25/TB. but that disaster pushed up the price of HDDs by about 50% and since then prices have been stickier than before, not dropping steadily like they used to

EDIT: looks like there's a chart for that. seems that I'm wrong that prices haven't declined, but you can see how the slope of the curve was far steeper before the flooding event. I suppose it could be asymptotically approaching zero, but it rather looks to me like 2 distinct patterns. basically the price was cut in half over a 2 year period before the floods. after the floods, it took 5 years for the price to halve again.

chart-cost-per-gb-2017.jpg
            Last edited by ahalpert; 11-25-2021, 08:35 AM.
            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I'd just get the 18TB for $142 more.

6 more TBs could come in handy for the small additional price if you're going large-capacity HDD.

Or the 14TB one is only $52 more (or $102 more for the 16TB).

Comment

I hope you'll reconsider that and join me in applying downward price pressure! the 18TB is $18.89/TB
                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I am a principle stickler with some things, but the cost of this is too low to care in the grand scheme in which we're spending 2x-3x-4x the price on camera accessories.

18TB for a few hundred would probably last me, personally, a lifetime.

Comment

the cost would last you or the drive would last you? I would like it if storage costs would at least keep (inverse) pace with bitrate increases. 10 years ago, 50Mbps was considered a professional bitrate for HD. Today, 1Gbps and higher are common capture bitrates. 4K 60p ProRes RAW is 1.68Gbps. And now we're talking about going to 8K.

spending a lot of money on camera accessories seems like a good reason to SAVE money on storage, not spend more on it. my modus operandi is always to spend as much as necessary and as little as possible
                    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Your growing collection of E-mounts and a GM or two begs to differ...

Were they necessary...

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                        Cinematch is on sale for $99 for a single-program plugin: https://www.cinematch.com/purchase?g...BoCtmwQAvD_BwE

$149 for a bundle of program plugins.

As I recall, it was offered for a limited-time discount of $139 for the FCPX standalone plugin when they launched it for FCPX. The regular price is $179 for a single plugin

Filmconvert software is also on sale from the same company
                        Doesn't Cinematch work only on RAW files?

Comment

If that were true, the irony is that most people shooting RAW wouldn't use it as they are likely diving into their own deep color grade.

It's used to match many non-RAW cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                            If that were true, the irony is that most people shooting RAW wouldn't use it as they are likely diving into their own deep color grade.

It's used to match many non-RAW cameras.
                            Thanks.

Comment

You can try it for free (and they also have a cool comparison widget on the home page): https://www.cinematch.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                                Your growing collection of E-mounts and a GM or two begs to differ...

Were they necessary...
                                they were necessary to get superior rendering and autofocus performance, both of which can lead to more $$$

but I have been sitting on the fence eyeing a GM 135 purchase, balancing out the cost and the utility... not sure I really need it, or that it would make a massive improvement in my current operation. nicer rendering than the tamron 70-180 to be sure, but you can't zoom. only gain a stop and change in DOF. tamron already has AF that doesn't leave me wanting. something like a GM 100mm f/1.4 would be more useful to me, I think. But if the 135 GM were $500 then I'd already have it. the 50 f/1.2 GM has been such a wonderful investment. clients ask me what the lens is when they see the footage
                                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                                X