No announcement yet.

Photos from the "old days"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A street snow sweeper, using his riding broom. Late 1980's. (photo by Gennady Bodrov, was sold for several thousand dollars)

scale_1200.jpg

Comment

The Soviet team on the opening ceremony of the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck (otherwise known as the Franz Klammer Olympics since : a) he was a local and b) his downhill run was the greatest two minutes in the Winter Olympics ever)

scale_2400.jpg

Comment

Very thankful for not having to do this ---

0_284989_94f28c42_orig.jpg

Comment

A helicopter pilot decided to fly through the city of Kazan without fuel. November, 26th, 1980.

q4Gy0Q-nE1E.jpg?size=960x706&quality=96&sign=51e8c35db70f90044cd4efc00b570d48&type=album.jpg

Comment

Not a Soviet torture tool (at least, not officially) but a sharp metal spike that held the retail receipts in order to avoid quick falsification. And you thought the barcode was evil. (shown next to a matchbox for size comparison)

bigpicture_ru_0ceeeeac3b44a4ff15effc58153e024a.jpg

Comment

An oldie but a goodie. The first Soviet McDonald's. Moscow, 1990. And you should see the drive-through window.

6128365_original.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
                An oldie but a goodie. The first Soviet McDonald's. Moscow, 1990. And you should see the drive-through window.

6128365_original.jpg
                I remember watching the story on the news…. I was 13 or 14 at the time. Imagine telling someone standing in that line for hours that many cities had multiple McDonald’s and you could even have your birthday party in one, if you wanted to.

I don’t even know how many we have here, where I live, but there are two that are within 5-10 mins of me, on the same road as each other, that are only about two miles apart. And I wouldn’t eat at either one of them(McDonald’s in-general) if you paid for my food. Unless they have the McRib…

Comment

Here's the deal with the Soviet restaurant industry. There wasn't much. For example, in the 1970's, the city of Kiev (the Ukrainian capitol with about 3.5 million residents) had 11 restaurants and about three dozen diners and coffee houses. The nighttime restaurants functioned as clubs - not quite the Brown Derby or the Maxim's but nonetheless much in demand among those with unverified income. They had live bands but their food was mostly cold cuts and hot chicken. And plenty of watered down vodka. Prices were reasonable during daytime but required a large graft when operated at night.

With the announcement of perestroika of 1986, private eating establishments opened up but, on an average, they were still too expensive for an average citizen. McDonald's sort of hit the sweet spot. It was still quite expensive - hamburger 1.50R, cheeseburger 1.75R, Big Mac 3.75R - in the day when an average wage was about 200R per month - but it also gave a proven quality meal. McD spent far too much money on it but it was a huge publicity coup for the company. Lines were long ... I mean, 3-4 hours long early on and the outlet serviced about 30,000 customers daily. For the Moscow residents, it was as much of an experience as a nourishment. And with better smells than Lenin's Mausoleum.

Comment

Speaking of the Soviet restaurant/night clubs. That's where the originator of the Soviet racket Gennady "the Mongol" Kharkov (here, sitting down, in his later years) began to look for his victims and formed the most feared crew in the USSR.

1.jpg

Comment

1985. Gorby's on the air. The 25" TVs are priced at 755R and up. And average wage then is around 180R per month.

1579907727_2020-01-25-00.14.43.jpg

Comment

A scratch sheet of the Russian-to-English translation of Lilliana Gassinskaya right before she jumped out of the window of the Soviet cruise ship and swam across the shark invested harbor in Sydney, Australia. English she didn't spoke gut but, apparently, she looked good enough in a bikini to pose for the original Aussie issue of Penthouse magazine.

The Daily Telegraph, AU article - https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...7e4bd4cfdeb1ce

f5cc530094dc5473a6558e435773e1f1.jpg

Comment

A Soviet era picnic. Presumably, more than one car brought everyone and their track suits in ... but I wouldn't bet on it. One salted herring, one roll of hard salami, half a dozen bottles of vodka was a typical menu. And no folding chairs.

11.jpg

Comment

I think I see a few thermoses probably with some tea in them, which was a staple of the roadside picnic as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                              I think I see a few thermoses probably with some tea in them, which was a staple of the roadside picnic as well.
                              You are correct. The other option was to make a small bonfire and hang a kettle over it.

PS. Not every thermos was filled with tea, obviously. But I digress.

Comment

I'm an American, but there are very few here who are as close to your roots as me, DLD!

I could comment on everything you post, but I pick and choose.

The picnics were insanely common in the 90s. They'd have dedicated picnic areas all over those countries in the middle of nowhere.

Or all over by the local lake where everyone swam in and then became infected with ringworm.

Comment

Working...
                                X