No announcement yet.

GH2 improvements list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As to the contrast curve, i second that. But that aside, have you tried decoding your mts stream with 5D2RGB from rarevision? It seems to give my GH1 footage a lot more detail in the dark areas and less darkening. And this is not gamma-related as the highlights aren't affected, in fact they are less bright or blown out.

Comment

4K 30-40fps mode down to 24fps at the longest possible recording time (with higher compression at about 75Mbps).

That would be sic.

Anamorphic MPJPEG mode like in GH-1 (higher resolution).
      Last edited by Ian-T; 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

-24mbit or more data at 30p
        -1080 60p from the sensor
        -120-240fps would be killer even at 720p for a few seconds is fine!
        -Lower the 4MP 40fps burst mode to 24fps and allow it to shoot until the buffer is full.
        -FN. Button for Variable frame rate
        -Higher slow mo (varible) rate
        -Full time manual focus in AF shutter push mode in video. So if you hold shutter you have AF, if you release and twist lens focus your on manual for micro adjustment. This would make the current AF 1000% more functional.

-this one is huge.... When engaging video mode in PASM wheel setting, have the video automatically conform to those settings. With this i could just flip through the 4 REAL settings P,A,S,M for stills or Video.. hit video button if i want video, shutter if stills.. I hate having to always scroll through the worlds biggest camera wheel on the worlds smallest pro video cam

Comment

Stills and bracketing improvements

I see that a generic improvement for bracketing it's already in the list, and the GH2 aslo has already a decent bracketing option with up to 7 brackets 1 stop apart, however I want to be specific that in order to be useful for HDR the most important thing is adding the option to make the brackets 2 or even 3 stops apart, with one shutter click with the remote.

I wonder why Pana limited the lower iso to 160 ISO: I'd like to go down to 100 or even 50, if this would add an improvement to noise and/or DR for studio lighting and tripod shoots.

Cheers,
          Gianca

Comment

as with other panasonics - need firstly to see firmwares that comes to public ... possible that also will be encrypted , and then that model will have the same destiny as other currently encrypted ...
            russian forums about video. http://forum.videoediting.ru & http://forum.1dv.ru

Comment

First time poster.

As a pro photographer Iīd like to see much better color modes straight out of cam (a real Kodachrome profile, easy to obtain, technicolor, etc.real analogue colors)
              And I like to see different contrast interpretation and measuring.
              Better dynamic in the highlight interpretation.
              If You compare a Sigma/Foveon creamyness, with the harsh digital look of Panasonic, they have to go back to the lab.

Comment

Originally posted by timbook2 View Post
                In film mode I want AFS and MF at the same time by using AF/AE lock while shooting. I want to be able to use AFS and go into manual focus while filming without having to toggle the dial on the top left.
                This would be great, a matter a fact you can have AF and MF by enabling AF+MF in the custom menu but you have have to have the shutter button half pressed for it to engage. Remove that requirement and it would be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazza View Post
                  This would be great, a matter a fact you can have AF and MF by enabling AF+MF in the custom menu but you have have to have the shutter button half pressed for it to engage. Remove that requirement and it would be sweet.
                  I havenīt even seen a GH2 yet but in my nikons (stills) I have AF-C enabled, Focus priority disabled for shooting, no half shutter focus and instead use AE-Lock as AF. This way I can manually focus with the lens or, by pressing AE-lock, track something in AF-C. If this can be added it would be just perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Hack View Post
                    First time poster.

As a pro photographer Iīd like to see much better color modes straight out of cam (a real Kodachrome profile, easy to obtain, technicolor, etc.real analogue colors)
                    And I like to see different contrast interpretation and measuring.
                    Better dynamic in the highlight interpretation.
                    If You compare a Sigma/Foveon creamyness, with the harsh digital look of Panasonic, they have to go back to the lab.
                    "As a pro photographer" is RAW all you need! With software like Capture One, Silkypix or Lightroom you can have any profile you can imagine. That's a darkroom of a pro photographer these days. I have (among others) Sigma SD14 and I now also GH2. I have GH2 one week. Iīve already sold my old Canon 20D with APS-C sensor, because GH2 has better image quality at every ISO settings and has ISO 6400, 8000, 10000, 12800 in addition! And millions of others fantastic features as we all know... Sigma/Foveon "creamyness" ends at ISO 400, continues with heavy discoloration and graininess at ISO 800 to heavy color noise splashes at ISO 1600 and thatīs it. And itīs really terrible camera with slow autofocus and all operations. Itīs like 50 years behind GH2! Except only one thing, that beautiful tonality and sharpness per pixel at ISO 100, when you shoot at full light. GH2 has approximately 1,5x more detail, better dynamic range in shadows, comparable dynamic range in highlights and all other image aspects are product of RAW processing (make a comparsion as I did!).

Comment

Hi, can you share your LR RAW profile for the GH2? many thanks

Comment

Hi,
                        beyond ordinary settings I would like to point these few:
                        Noise reduction in LR (I use amount 25 max, detail around 50) is good for color noise reduction, but leaves luminance NR behind, so Neat Image (probably best noise reduction software) is final step to perfection, also Neat Video plugin for video (I use Premiere) is a real magic
                        also I prefer tone curve modification with linear or medium contrast base over simple exposure, brightness and contrast settings to preserve tonality in shadows and highlights
                        I usually use black level 0 or 1 (default black level is set to 5, which is too high for dark tonality)
                        sometimes highlights recovery and fill light also helps, but I use it gently
                        sharpening is not really necessary, since the sharpness is great and it can affect smoothness of the image
                        high ISO, dark scene or extreme light conditions:
                        I use camera calibration in LR - shadows tint and separate R-G-B channels correction to eliminate cyan or blue/yellow noise "fog" on blacks - it helps a lot (suitable WB first)

Comment

any chance of 1/48 shutter Vitaliy? is it possible?
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/rozroz

Comment

This arrangement would change EVERYTHING..

Originally posted by Ian-T View Post
                            4K 30-40fps mode down to 24fps at the longest possible recording time (with higher compression at about 75Mbps).

That would be sic.

Anamorphic MPJPEG mode like in GH-1 (higher resolution).
                            True THAT. The 4k shooting capability is the single most exciting development for me.

Comment

I'm not sure what the "more contrast options" feature would entail that is listed, but how about custom LUTs instead or in addition to whatever you have planned? That could be really powerful and allow easily matching the response of other cameras, filmstocks, looks, etc.
                              Noah Yuan-Vogel
                              http://www.noahyv.com

Comment

We need the next firmware update to have an option to turn off AGC all together, and have real manual audio levels. Right now AGC is on all the time, but with the ability to change the amount of AGC in 4 levels. That's cool and all, but not enough. Fully manual level adjustment would give us cleaner audio, especially when used in conjunction with the Rode VideoMic Pro which boosts/cuts the mic level by 20db, 0db, and -10db. Also with manual audio you could accurately calibrate with the SD MixPre's tone (with a -25db pad cable).

2. 1080/30p please. (Can they do that in firmware?)
                                Not everyone loves 24P.

Here's info on the AGC: http://k9soundtech.blogspot.com/2011/01/gh2-is-agc.html
                                Work Examples - Vimeo - My Music
                                Sony FS5 :: Panasonic GH4 :: Sony EX1 :: FCPX :: Senn G3 / RodeLink Wireless
                                Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3 Shotgun, NT3(Pair), NT4 (Stereo), NT2000, AT4053b Hyper

Comment

Working...
                                X