GH2 improvements list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nyvz View Post
    Then again, just having high resolution 4:3 added as an option will open up many options for anamorphics. 1.33:1 is a pretty good compromise between 1.19:1 and 1.59:1 for 1.5x-2x anamorphics. You just crop from there or use 1.75x anamorphics if you can get your hands on them.

Another idea might be to skip all the various aspect ratio recording options, and just allow us to record somewhat higher resolution from the entire sensor area which appears to have a 1.44:1 native aspect ratio. Then people can crop as they need from there. Basically it would always record 1920x1334, which you could crop to 1920x1080 for 16:9 or 1778x1334 for 4:3. This way no matter what anamorphic or spherical lenses you use or what aspect you want youll always still be getting about 2MP out of the original 2.5MP. Of course more resolution would always be better though, this just seems like the best minimum case where no matter what resolution format or lenses are used, no one will feel like they are missing out without having to implement tons of different recording options.

In this native 1.44:1 mode, pretty much every standard format besides spherical 16:9 would benefit from oversampling in at least one pixel dimension. Then again it sounds like these other aspect ratios, even the native one, may not be possible, so this may not be practical, but it seems like a good option to me for all those people.

Otherwise, if it does become possible to expose control over the sensor and encoder's format options, maybe there could be a firmware kitchen users can cook up whatever odd formats you want to have available in camera. This would save the developer from having to think of every format people might want.
    Cropping sucks. Reduces resolution and makes framing shots more difficult. Besides the handful of aspcts ratios already identified, if anyone has others, put them here. (As the developer has asked.) If altering the AR can be done at all, then it can be done for any and all of them at virtually no extra labor for the hackers.

Comment

I doubt that these ideas could be enabled with a hack, but in case you are passing the list to Panasonic, here are a few things for them to add:

1) Close mechanical shutter either when pushing in lens release button (probably no electrical switch there) or turning camera off. This would protect sensor from dust when switching lenses. There is no reason that the sensor should be exposed when switching lenses. May then need a menu option to open the shutter for sensor cleaning.

2) Zebras with settable level to aid in video exposure like on AG-AF100. Some cameras even have zebras for both low light and high light clipping. Maybe it is just me, but I have always liked zebras more than the histogram for exposure. Gives you the information while you are concentrating on the picture and you do not need to look at a tiny little graph.

3) Focus peaking as manual focus aid. It is there on the AG-AF100 and is easier to use for focusing manual lenses while shooting video. The focus magnifier goes away when you shoot video, so there is no aid to get sharp critical focus for a moving subject or for focus pulls in real time. On a film set can use an extra monitor, but I do wildlife video and need good focus assist without all the extra gear.

Comment

Would it be possible to save lens choices, filter choices etc. along with the proposed meta data like aperture, shutter, iso for individual shots. I'm thinking some sort of input method for letters and numbers like a dial or something where you could enter you equipment names e.g Canon 28mm f1.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8, filter this, filter that etc. Then you would just enter all the equipment you have and choose it from a menu, to save as meta data along with aperture, shutter, iso. Maybe even special combos that you use often. That way it would be easier to reverse engineer shots you did. No more I wish I remembered how I did that shot.
        Last edited by forum177; 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

My 3 TOP wishes about GH2 update are:
          1. AF tracking in video recording
          2. intervalometer in still photo (bo be able to produce timelaps)
          3. further development of 1:1 cropping eg free definition of the active area or dynamical cropp area which will move across matrix to create panoramic shot without moving camera.

Comment

It might be cool to fix the 4MP stills burst mode at 24fps rather than 40 and to try to increase the amount of time it can keep shooting for by (for example) maybe doing 3MP, medium jpeg quality, whatever. That would let us get high-res image sequences from which we can downsample to 1080p24, which would be pretty awesome. Of course I have no idea if this is possible.

I have a question about the 1080p24 MJPEG wish. Would this be higher quality (or have a more pleasing aesthetic) than 1080p24 AVCHD?

Comment

Originally posted by robotin77 View Post
              2. intervalometer in still photo (bo be able to produce timelaps)
              +1

Comment

Capacity of 60% of the speed in Variable Speed feature.

Comment

Wider contrast video settings for GH2:
                  Contrast curve goes quite steep to darks (black level is quite high) even the contrast is set to lowest possible settings. Also higher ISO in low light doesnīt affect shadows as much as middle tones and lights - also because of original base contrast curve. I know itīs still better in this case than other VDSLRs, but it would be lovely to have possibility to set contrast curve to more linear settings (like used in pro camcorders), which is better for low light filming and postproduction. The thing is, that than you donīt need to set ISO at maximum to get full possible tonal range from the dark scene. Also it can provide wider dynamic range in both highlights and shadows. Itīs kind of RAW advantage vs. jpeg.
                  Last edited by cerdt; 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I like all your ideas, especially the 1080p60fps and I'd like to add the unlimited frame sequencies at 40fps
                    also a direct and more easy control on shutter speed and all tipical video settings when in camcorder mode would be appreciated
                    Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 01-08-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

i suppose there is NO WAY ON EARTH to regain bigger resolution from the sensor, huh ?
                      (i mean, creating a real 24p recording, not burst mode)
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/rozroz

Comment

#1. give us a so-called pro body & lenses, with some decent degree of weatherproofing, at least on a par with the 7D. Extra weight quite ok by me...
                        #2. Standard size external mic jack
                        #3. Standard mini headphone jack

Comment

Originally posted by petersont View Post
                          #1. give us a so-called pro body & lenses, with some decent degree of weatherproofing, at least on a par with the 7D. Extra weight quite ok by me...
                          I don't think Vitaliy can do that... or does he? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by petersont View Post
                            I think that's the Vitaliy virtual version, a la Inception.

(In your dreams).

Comment

Wider contrast video settings for GH2:
                              Contrast curve goes quite steep to darks (black level is quite high) even the contrast is set to lowest possible settings. Also higher ISO in low light doesnīt affect shadows as much as middle tones and lights - also because of original base contrast curve. I know itīs still better in this case than other VDSLRs, but it would be lovely to have possibility to set contrast curve to more linear settings (like used in pro camcorders), which is better for low light filming and postproduction. The thing is, that than you donīt need to set ISO at maximum to get full possible tonal range from the dark scene. Also it can provide wider dynamic range in both highlights and shadows. Itīs kind of RAW advantage vs. jpeg.
                              cerdt, I'm so totally behind your idea. In part like 'Black Stretch' w/clean dark tones. Maybe both Toe and Shoulder adjustments? That would be nice.

Comment

MF assist and other features are disabled when HDMI is out. I would like the MF assist while monitoring through hdmi.

Comment

Working...
                                X