GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
    I am very interested in updating my GF1 with the new changes. However, I want to make sure that you can revert back to the original firmware. Will it let you reload firmware with an older version number or do you just have to make new firmware that has nothing applied to it?

Thanks to everyone who has worked on this. I plan on shooting a ton of indoor video this weekend. I will shoot with it unpatched at first and then shoot patched later to compare the two.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=212263

Comment

Originally posted by tester13 View Post
      Generally I find bitrate to be higher for 60i, as we have longer GOP, more P frames. And main improvements of current patch lies in P frames size.
      So leaving 24P native unchecked is really the best way to go?

Comment

To be really good we need GH2 to have:
        New sensor with much improved speed.
        New LSI with better AVCHD implementetion.
        Really good, manually controlled audio.
        I completely agree - at that point though it seems that we'd be talking about the AF100, doesn't it?

Though I agree, a GH2 with those specs would sell like hot cakes.

Comment

I mentioned traffic testing earlier (before/after of cars passing at a likely constant speed). Another thought - a shot (close) of an object on a rotating record turntable, before and after. This would be likely to be indoors so low light would be an interesting extra element. Something absolutely scientific would be good to see, so nobody can say the playing field wasn't level.

The worst example of mud I've personally ever seen from my own footage was doing a follow pan on close passing traffic. Not only was the background muddy but the cars relatively static in the frame were rendered "impressionist". Another interesting before/after test there.

Yes, I should try stuff myself. But I'll have to get a faster card first - and donate!

Comment

Well that's exciting news. i can leave my 24p patch unchecked and just drop it into premiere. i never knew that. thanks.

tester13 edit: Could you please add this to FAQ?
            Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 06-10-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Okay, one last tidbit for you folks -- the 24pN footage plays on a blu-ray player! It doesn't play back in camera, but it sure did when I put it in my blu-ray and played it on my 67" DLP TV. It will probably work from a PS3 as well.

Now, with that said, I have 30 clips that look pretty much amazingly fantastic, and one that's glitchy (pulsing fuzzy every half second). This thread isn't about glowing results, it's about research and fixing things, so I'll post the glitchy clip in this thread for tester13 to evaluate; any further discussion of great footage should take place in the other "mud free" thread.
              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by sam rides a mtb View Post
                not to get too greedy, though this has got me wondering if there is any chance for 1080 60p in the future for the GH1? surely this demands greater bitrate, though that doesnt seem to be as much of an obstacle any more.
                No, no chance.
                We have some illusory chanse to use sensore mode 1 for MJPEG encoding to get about 2500x880 resolution at 30fps.
                I don't know if this have any advantage for filming pros.

Comment

No, no chance.
                  We have some illusory chanse to use sensore mode 1 for MJPEG encoding to get about 2500x880 resolution at 30fps.
                  I don't know if this have any advantage for filming pros.
                  if we are able to get higher resolutions, then we could use the digital zoom feature in the camera (2x and 4x options available in menu) to increase our focal length with less of a loss in final quality. even if we didnt use the in-camera digital zoom, it would allow cropping is post production.

too bad about the increased (60p) framerate in 1080 mode... who knows though what may be discovered down the road

Comment

Originally posted by philip bloom View Post
                    wonderful Job Tester 13...my gh1 is now out of the dusty cupboard and back in my hands!
                    Thanks.
                    I really appreciate for your work on DSLR usage in filming.
                    But suggest not to use Andrew Raid materials on your site, like current one.
                    ask any of our active testers or Barry Green if you want fast qualified answer.
                    Andrew material is just 33% copy&paste, 33% looks like useless, 33% holy crap. Like all this MJPEG 1920 true resolution :-) He is not accurate and no one really thrusts his opinion. And if anyone thrusts it is usially Andrew himself under different nickname (I remember like 5 or 6).

Comment

To be really good we need GH2 to have:
                      New sensor with much improved speed.
                      New LSI with better AVCHD implementetion.
                      Really good, manually controlled audio.
                      I am thoroughly expecting some improved banding supression. Also, I used to own a TM700 before I exchanged it up for a GH1... 1080p60p for the GH2 seems like an obvious selling point to shoot for... outdoor shots looked fantastic on the TM700.. and that was 60p only at 28mbps AVCHD. Might of even concidered keeping the TM if it wasn't for the lack of manual control.

Also, I might expect improvement in areas such as video autofocus and such... so long story short there's plenty of avenues for improvement to make the GH2 worthwild. Even if they improve on all those other areas and still crap out on the compression routines... it'll still be okay because you can expect a slew of donations on your future GH2 patch thread ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                        What exact settings are you using? Let me try those, but it sure looks to me like it's uprezzed 720p...
                        I'm getting top bit rates of 80Mbits on 720P footage with 512.352.220.200 on class 10 cards

80Mbits 720 is better than 50Mbits 1080. The bottle neck isn't my cards. 1080 for some reason can't do 80mbits, however 720 has worked flawless for me. My 720P footage looks great. I think the buffer settings might be wrong on the 1080 Mjpeg patch. The GH1 has no issue writing 70 to 80mbits to a class ten. However when it's a 1080 frame and not a 720 at the same Mbits bandwidth, the camera stops stops on the 1080 of the same material after a few seconds while the 720 just goes and goes with the same test shot and mbits. Weird....

Also if you load a lower 50ishmbits code, the 720 performs as it does, however still the 1080 can't do it. If you keep your 1080 at 50mbits and not higher it will record forever. Which makes me think its the 1080 patch that is causing some error.

I feel Mjpeg is very much worth its research. I believe both have great value to production.

Pappas
                        Last edited by PappasArts; 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM.
                        sigpic
                        “The talent of an artist is never measured on how real they can create something, it’s on how much life they can give it”

Comment

I have been trying find the "d" settings that Barry and a few others have talked about, could someone direct me to it..spent and hour searching here and can't find it.

I've been testing with B settings but also interested how you can push the buffer to 60? (as the current ptool is only drop down max to 40)

Comment

Originally posted by Bishaway View Post
                            I have been trying find the "d" settings that Barry and a few others have talked about, could someone direct me to it..spent and hour searching here and can't find it.

I've been testing with B settings but also interested how you can push the buffer to 60? (as the current ptool is only drop down max to 40)
                            +1. I'd like to add this to the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Car3o View Post
                              Well that's exciting news. i can leave my 24p patch unchecked and just drop it into premiere. i never knew that. thanks.

tester13 edit: Could you please add this to FAQ?
                              Added to FAQ. Also FAQ has been updated. Please advise if something needs to be changed.

Comment

As a Panasonic share holder (lost my ass) I'd like to thank Panasonic for giving this entire DSLR market away when it was theirs from day 1.

Tester13 should be paid big money from them as a consultant. This is really good stuff, thanks Tester13!

Comment

Working...
                                X