No announcement yet.

GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my understanding higher bitrates would mean better compression and would allow the footage to endure more intense CC without falling to pieces. If this is correct this would be the biggest advantage for me. How high do you thing the bitrate could go in FullHD mode?
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Laugh out loud right here:

- http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=129033

and here

- http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=86474

Comment

Originally posted by rawfa View Post
      From my understanding higher bitrates would mean better compression and would allow the footage to endure more intense CC without falling to pieces. If this is correct this would be the biggest advantage for me. How high do you thing the bitrate could go in FullHD mode?
      I don't think more than 24Mbps will be possible due to the H.264 codec chip on-camera, I think it's already being fooled into doing High@4.0 instead of Standard@4.0, HiProfile@4.1 would be the next best (24Mbps). 4.2, 4.3 and 5.0 and 5.1 would most likely not be possible at all. (the latter have 4:2:2 support).

My money is on it being identical to the iPhone and other H.264 low power codec processors, El Gato Turbo 264 HD comes to mind.
      Last edited by DJDecay; 05-01-2010, 03:36 AM.
      - Working on RADPlug Archtecture, 4.0 TFLOP CUDA Machine
      - Developing DVCPRO MOV Recovery Software to recover from OnLocation, Scopbox and other firewire recorder crashes
      http://fcphacker.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here is illustration:

Wider sensor window is for 1280x720p60, and other is 1280x720p50.
        So, in reality horizontal resolution must be better in p60.
        But both do not have 1280 horizontal pixels :-)
        Plus, from used numbers I can assume that this is not real raw setup data.
        As usable sensor size is about 4130x3000, so some kind of binning mode is activated.

We must shoot graph paper to understand better.
        Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-01-2010, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJDecay
          It does so at 24.00PsF No? not at the more preferable 23.976 though.
          And at some weird resolution that needs de-staircasing to convert No?
          D90 have absolutely different hardware.
          5D Mark II added 24fps is more interesting case, I believe they also added scanning areas on bottom and may be on top.

Comment

One more addition, camera actually shoots at 720p59,94 and 1080p23,97
            All scan time calculations prove it.

Comment

tester13, that confirms what the manual states...the sensor output is 1080p24 and 720p60. Both are lazily referencing 23.97 and 59.94.

Comment

Originally posted by Path View Post
                tester13, that confirms what the manual states...the sensor output is 1080p24 and 720p60. Both are lazily referencing 23.97 and 59.94.
                Try to read my previous post, please!!!
                They are not lazely referencing anything, they actually shoot at 23.97 and 59.94, period.

Comment

take it easy man, the manual states exactly that in FHD mode "Sensor output is 24 fps". I am saying that Panasonic is being lazy in their manual by printing 24 when, in reality, the fps off the sensor is 23.97.

Comment

Originally posted by Path View Post
                    take it easy man, the manual states exactly that in FHD mode "Sensor output is 24 fps". I am saying that Panasonic is being lazy in their manual by printing 24 when, in reality, the fps off the sensor is 23.97.
                    I clearly said that actual fps are.
                    Manual is written by technical writers who know nothing about camera internal functions.
                    And sensor have no such thing as "fps" . At all. It have sensor read speed.
                    At least try to read thread you are posting to.

Comment

24fps= 23.976 in nearly every ntsc video camera, this isnt something new to the gh1. Most people just say 24fps but they really mean 23.976/23.98. Its a trickle down from when b+w tv became color.

From wikipedia:

"In January 1950, the Committee was reconstituted to standardize color television. In December 1953, it unanimously approved what is now called the NTSC color television standard (later defined as RS-170a). The "compatible color" standard retained full backward compatibility with existing black-and-white television sets. Color information was added to the black-and-white image by adding a color subcarrier of 4.5 × 455/572 MHz (approximately 3.58 MHz) to the video signal. To reduce the visibility of interference between the chrominance signal and FM sound carrier required a slight reduction of the frame rate from 30 frames per second to approximately 29.97 frames per second..."

Comment

Tester13, you guys are saying the same thing. We have a language barrier. I think we're all trying to exhibit some patience, and I hope you will do the same.

By the way, is somebody getting that graph paper footage you requested? If not, I can do it later today. I would have it ready about 6 hours from now. Just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by billy fattey View Post
                          Tester13, you guys are saying the same thing. We have a language barrier. I think we're all trying to exhibit some patience, and I hope you will do the same.

By the way, is somebody getting that graph paper footage you requested? If not, I can do it later today. I would have it ready about 6 hours from now. Just let me know.
                          We are no saying same thing.
                          As from sensor scan calculations you could clearly get actual fps.
                          So, no such term as "fps" exists for sensor, only read speed and used sensor window.
                          By enlarging window you are dropping "fps".
                          I do not know if it is possible to change read speed at all, but in video shooting they use constant speed.

Graph paper is still actual, make one using online generator link I provided, print it out, and shoot in tightly controlled manner (as you'll need to change firmware with NTSC->PAL or PAL->NTSC patch, but camera must be fixed and it is not easy). In extreme case, just align top left corner to be on big grid point.

Comment

I'm doing this right now.

The only patches I applied for both was Version Change / 30min removal / (pal/ntsc patch)
                            Shooted 1080 on a random grid, tripod, 35mm focal lenght extly the same setting.

did you need the original Private sctructure or can I make a vimeo version or something?

EDIT:

The patch worked since they really asked me to format the card when I wanted to record 25fps footage (while I had 24p footy on card)
                            GH2 / HPX170
                            Olympus 14-54 II / Zuiko 24 f2.8

HTTP://AKWD.COM

Comment

You can provide just individual frames here.

And I am more interested in 720p.
                              But 1080p is also good.
                              Grid must be fine enought.

Comment

Hum you'll tell me once I show them witch is in about 5 mins.
                                And just by checking them i can tell you that they're pretty much the same.
                                GH2 / HPX170
                                Olympus 14-54 II / Zuiko 24 f2.8

HTTP://AKWD.COM

Comment

Working...
                                X