No announcement yet.

GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy to be listed on front page as you suggest Tester..by the way it looks like you`re making great progress..

Comment

I wonder if that new 1.3 firmware will play into this at all?

I doubt they've fixed the stuff we're fighting for (live hdmi, better 1080 codec, agc)
      Kevin DeOliveira - Director / Editor

FACTION
      Commercials - Branded Content - Film
      ‎wearefaction.com

Comment

Panasonic will not be releasing any of these features for the GH1 because it would compete with its own upcoming m43 camcorder:

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/04/11/...nced-ag-af100/

The upcoming firmware only makes the following changes: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1004/10...f1firmware.asp

Comment

That's kinda silly.... I doubt anyone would pick the GH1 over the AF100 given the choice even if the GH1 had a higher bitrate and no AGC than it does now.
          They are two very different cameras.

Kinda like how the 5DMKII and 7D are different when compared to the new Canon XF cams yet Canon updated the 5D to add 24p and new features.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL Media Group View Post
            That's kinda silly.... I doubt anyone would pick the GH1 over the AF100 given the choice even if the GH1 had a higher bitrate and no AGC than it does now.
            They are two very different cameras.

Kinda like how the 5DMKII and 7D are different when compared to the new Canon XF cams yet Canon updated the 5D to add 24p and new features.
            I think it boils down to which department/group is doing what. The "Lumix" department is directed to 'consumers', and perhaps in the case of the GH-1, 'high end' of the consumer market, since after about $1500, people start thinking Nikon/Canon for the DSLR needs.

Hence, the Lumix group is targeting a market that is probably not interested in how '24p' is delivered or packaged as a file... the market just wants a tool to chop up home movies... or did you think you were the market??? right, 200 ok even 1000 guys on a few semi/pro fora...

Personally I don't think the firmware 'hacks' are going to yield any thing significant. I could be wrong, but I think the 'core' deep down in the firmware, is pretty intractable as to 'how things are done'.

It may very well be with the source code, a few "#define' statements will select various modes, features, limits, etc... but how that is in the firmware, is anyone's guess.

I bought the GH-1 over the 7D, and will use it as is... if I find that I need something more, either 1) the Lumix line will have improved by then, or 2) I'll justify going to the 7-D, or whatever is the 'next big thing' from Canon... actually I'd like to see what Nikon will come up with, unless they've vacated the arena... since I have Nikon lenses and that was one of the factors about the GH-1 vs. Canon.

At some point, one has to decided that a sow's ear, really is an ear, and not a silk purse...

That's not to say the GH-1 is a crappy camera, it is not... but it is what it is... and fancying it up won't change that much...

Comment

cue Debbie Downer jingle
              Zack - Alignment Productions
              BLOG
              VIMEO
              Panasonic GH-13 / Lumix 7-14mm f4 / Lumix 14-140mm f4 / Vivitar 24mm f2 / Canon FD 28mm f2.8 / Tokina SD 28-70mm f3.5 / Canon FD 50mm f1.4 / MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM / MACPRO quad 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM / Twin 23" LCD's / FCS2 / AECS4 / Atari 2600
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
                and fancying it up won't change that much...
                I'm not sure I agree totally. It's no replacement for professional gear but changing a few little things like the audio AGC, monitor out while recording and codec bitrate would make this camera MUCH more usable for those who have embraced it already.

I don't think this is to convince anyone to use this camera, this is just attempting to bring more functionality (and a little excitement) to those who already use it.

I mean who's really trying to compete here? Colorspace, inability to change gamma curves, rolling shutter, etc already preclude this camera from competing with pro cameras. We just want a little more functionality so we can avoid things like having to lug around an extra audio recorder and so we can hopefully pan and tilt without fear of mud. That'd be enough for me!

Comment

j1clark@ucsd.edu,

I respect where you are coming from. No one with $6,000 will pick the GH1 over the AF100. I think you may be missing the point though. I think a talented up and coming documentary or narrative filmmaker with only $1500 to spend will pick the GH1 over saving for another 3 years to get the AF100.

What Tester13 is doing is amazing and I am very hopeful that he can accomplish the task and will be donating to it come payday. If this camera can have native 24p, disable AGC and (less likely but hopefully) get a higher bit-rate and ext. monitoring then this will be an incredible asset to the GH1 and LOW-BUDGET filmmakers everywhere.

Comment

$156.04

Comment

Had been busy recently.

I believe soon good news will be coming to Olympus EP1 owners as I have firmware unpacker for this (but I am not author of this unpacker!)
                      Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

New version of ptool will be available in a few hours, I expect.
                        Only make_s.bat (text patch only) and make_fps.bat (framerate patch) will remain.

Comment

Excellent! This is very exciting. Just made first small donation, and willing to make more donations down the line.

Thanks tester!

Comment

Digest is done!
                            I already almost made it one day ago but made one wrong assumption.

So, nothing prevents us from making modifications now.

Fantastic stuff Tester!Dropping a bit more into the kitty this afternoon.

Comment

My ptool is now updated.

Remember to have full batteries and luck with you :-)

As I said, only
                              make_fps.bat and make_t.bat exist now.
                              Both don't touch any crucial code.
                              Only verson number and constants are changed in 24fps patch.
                              And only one char in SENSITIVITY interface string in case of make_t.bat.

Comment

Links?

Comment

Working...
                                X