GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nobbystylus View Post
    as far as i'm concerned i think boosting bit rate up to 24 mbps would be the priority for any firmware hack, and, from the sounds of things, one of the easier options..
    +2

Comment

I would also be willing to donate more than $5 and market the project to others to give donations. I agree that ext monitoring and higher bit rate would be great, but as many others have pointed out, it might not be possible with the current hardware installed. However, AGC and native 24p may be less futile. Hope the steam keeps up on this!

Comment

I hope I'm not going OT here. First, I want to say thanks for releasing the disassembler and docs.

I have the G1 and I've been waiting for Panasonic to release firmware to let the camera record even just SD video. The live view sensor can obviously handle video, and the camera can already stream live feed to any device with video-in. I hate the idea that they might have limited the product just so it doesn't dip into the sales of the models that do handle video. Obviously I'm not expecting results on par with the video-optimized m43 cameras, but the capability is there. I guess that's too much to hope for.

Has anyone else been looking into the G1 firmware? I want to see if I can get it to save video onto storage with decent resolution. Alternatively, I want to explore if it can do live 720p feed out the HDMI port. I've only tried SD feed to a TV, as described here

Comment

By the way, can you describe your workflow? I'm not familiar with IDA or other Windows tools for this kind of work (having worked mostly on unix), but I'm willing to learn. Would you be willing to release source for ptools, so maybe I or someone else can provide a linux port, maybe use that as a starting point for exploration?

Comment

Originally posted by pmv View Post
            By the way, can you describe your workflow? I'm not familiar with IDA or other Windows tools for this kind of work (having worked mostly on unix), but I'm willing to learn. Would you be willing to release source for ptools, so maybe I or someone else can provide a linux port, maybe use that as a starting point for exploration?
            If you are not reverser and do not understand assembler I suggest you to wait until some early hacked version will be ready.

As for ptool sources, they'll remain closed.
            ptool works fine under WIne, so no problems.
            Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks. That's fair enough. I'm fairly comfortable with assembler and disassembling (though not MN103), and yeah I've run ptools on the firmware I have under wine, but I'd have to find an equivalent unix debugger to make use of it, or try IDA.

Actually IDA seems to work on wine as well, so I'll look into that first.

Comment

Originally posted by pmv View Post
                Thanks. That's fair enough. I'm fairly comfortable with assembler and disassembling (though not MN103), and yeah I've run ptools on the firmware I have under wine, but I'd have to find an equivalent unix debugger to make use of it, or try IDA.

Actually IDA seems to work on wine as well, so I'll look into that first.
                In fact you won't be able to debug anything. :-)
                Just passive disassembling.
                And no IDA alternative exists in this world.
                Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

It's interesting stuff.

Comment

May be it is interesting.
                    Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Tester13,

Not sure if you saw this already, but your project is definitely starting to get some buzz. http://dvxuser.com/content.php?153-P...irmware-hacked

If I wasn't in the middle of shooting a documentary with the GH1, I would give the upgrade a try. I am trying to spread the word about your project and findings (regardless of what the outcome may be).

Keep up the great work!

Comment

Maybe you can make a bin file for us to download and try?

Comment

thanks for the project , I have a gh1 in the box due to the mud, gh1 cannot be used professionally cause of the bad codec, we can deal with everything else (audio,pulldown,etc) , so I think the main effort should be clean hdmi out or improved bitrate.I'm willing to donate $50 or even $100 to this.

Just an idea about bitrates, gh1 uses 17mbps without b-rames, so increasing it to 24mbps wouldn't help too much, to get enough quality it should be close to the 7d 40mbps also without b-frames.

The bitrate is fixed to 17mbps, in 1080 there are 24 1920x1080 frames to compress, in 720 there are 60 1280x720 frames to compress, this means , averaging about 30kb per 720p frame and 70kb per 1080p frame.

If a special mode 720p24 could be set, then there is a chance that the codec automatically could deal with the new fps and then average 70kb per 720p frame, this would mean a equivalent visual quality of more than 35mbps in 1280x720. Probably enough to get the mud out!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chibs View Post
                            Maybe you can make a bin file for us to download and try?
                            I added BAT files to ptool distribution for completely inexpirienced users.

Read my first post in this thread for detailed instructions and Panasonic firmware link.
                            Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 04-20-2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBlaz View Post
                              thanks for the project , I have a gh1 in the box due to the mud, gh1 cannot be used professionally cause of the bad codec, we can deal with everything else (audio,pulldown,etc) , so I think the main effort should be clean hdmi out or improved bitrate.I'm willing to donate $50 or even $100 to this.
                              If a special mode 720p24 could be set, then there is a chance that the codec automatically could deal with the new fps and then average 70kb per 720p frame, this would mean a equivalent visual quality of more than 35mbps in 1280x720. Probably enough to get the mud out!!
                              As for donation, I still waiting for someone with good reputation here to make simple page and provide his PayPal account for donations.
                              I bought gh1-hack.info domain today, so as this guy become known, I'll make special donation page as the front page of this site .

As for bitrate, I believe that coder have following settings : frame size, reccomended bitrate, hardcoded maximum bitrate setting, and frame rate.
                              We just don't know if hardware is capable of 720p24 in high bitrate, or any other low level changes are required.
                              Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Today spend some time looking at Panasonic latest LSI chips documentation.
                                Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X