Film Convert for GH4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film Convert for GH4?

I have a GH4 and I was looking at buying software to give it a film look. Anyone used FilmConvert? How does the internal 4k recording codec of the gh4 hold up to film convert grading (for example, does it cause banding or extra unwanted noise)? Is there other similar software that you like better?

I downloaded the sand-alone version as a trial. After I gave a test clip a film look and rendered it, it only had a 2k option. Does it output 4k? I was thinking about buying it for adobe premiere. I want to stay in 4k.

Thanks!
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

Yes it works in 4K and the Gh4 handles it well in terms of grading. But Film Convert really taxes your computers GPU and you might want to edit with proxies or do your grading last. It's takes forever to render Filmconvert out in 4K. It's a good software though. I have it but I find myself using either Koji Color or Impulz luts.

I graded this using Impulz:

https://vimeo.com/108019600

Comment

That was very nice grading. I'll check out Koji and impulz. As far as grading with film convert, I see you can pick the gh4 camera in the presets. What setting do you use on the gh4 for best results (as far as saturation, contrast, sharpness, etc...)?

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
        That was very nice grading. I'll check out Koji and impulz. As far as grading with film convert, I see you can pick the gh4 camera in the presets. What setting do you use on the gh4 for best results (as far as saturation, contrast, sharpness, etc...)?
        Cinelike D at 0 for all settings, -5 highlights +5 shadows. https://twitter.com/filmconvert/stat...73574462476288

I didn't like the results personally so I just use a Natural profile and the default sRGB setting.
        "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Comment

What's a natural profile that you like to use? Do you really like Filmconvert? Use anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
            What's a natural profile that you like to use? Do you really like Filmconvert? Use anything else?
            I use Natural -5 -3 -5 0 +2 at the moment. I'm using a combination of LUT's made in Davinci and FilmConvert as sort of a final element to add texture, but not as a total color correction utility. But the more I fiddle with all these tools the more I realize there is no one size fits all approach to color correction under even the best of circumstances. Different types of shots need different types of tools.
            "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Comment

Batutta, do you have any examples of your stuff online? Curious to see how filmconvert looks
              https://www.youtube.com/user/gjb2074/videos

Comment

Nothing worth showing yet. Should be shooting a music video in the next few weeks. I'll post stuff when I can.

Comment

cool thanks. I been on the fense about film convert. I know it is fine, but if I get there without it I could save money
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/gjb2074/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dustylense View Post
                    Yes it works in 4K and the Gh4 handles it well in terms of grading. But Film Convert really taxes your computers GPU and you might want to edit with proxies or do your grading last. It's takes forever to render Filmconvert out in 4K. It's a good software though. I have it but I find myself using either Koji Color or Impulz luts.
                    Dusty - any thoughts about the Koji vs Impulz? I already have the Impulz LUTs but may try out the Koji LUTs. It looks like the Koji LUTs aren't specific to the GH4 so I was curious if they're worth buying.

Comment

Working...
                    X