what codec for Edius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH3 what codec for Edius?

Hi , after experiencing differnt nle, avid, pp, edius i have come to conclusion that mov file from gh3 have strong compressdion that nmakes hard editing.
    i always get quick red line, with fex clips and 2, 3 minuites footage, and no effect
    i am using edius now, my pc is not monster but non so terrible, i3 quad core, 8 gb ram win 7 64 bit
    i have come tro conclusion that is better if i transcode mov(i generally use 25fps 50mbp) to a smoother codec.
    I read mac user go prores, what is advisable in windows/edius?
    thanks
    Last edited by stefanocps; 01-06-2014, 03:32 AM.
    Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

No problem here playing GH3 native .mov files on Edius 5.51. I get a yellow line not a red one. If you are experiencing problems you could render the timeline or "convert" clips in you bin to Edius to "lossless.avi" or a variety of other HQ file types. Also, you can post the problem over at http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php and most likely get a speedy response.
    ScreenHunter_132 Jan. 05 12.34.jpg

Here is my system specs: Edius 5.5, HDSPARK, Asus P6T Deluxe mobo, i7-920 processor, Antec 900-2 case, Corsair 650 watt p.s., Corsair 3GB XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3, Sapphire HD7770, WD 160GB Caviar, 1TD WD Caviar Black, Lite-on IHAS324, Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium, Vista 32 bit.
    Last edited by Mark Williams; 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

Comment

Originally posted by stefanocps View Post
      i3 quad core,
      i3 is dual core not quad core. i5 is quad core, i7 quad core with hyperthreading where each core can act like two.

Some dual core processors may have hyperthreading, I had one some years back but when AVCHD came along it would choke badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
        i3 is dual core not quad core. i5 is quad core, i7 quad core with hyperthreading where each core can act like two.

Some dual core processors may have hyperthreading, I had one some years back but when AVCHD came along it would choke badly.
        right..i got confused form edus itself, the version 7 whne start it say quad core detected
        i don't undertand, you sayinng better to disable hyperthreading if there is any enabled?
        Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Williams View Post
          No problem here playing GH3 native .mov files on Edius 5.51. I get a yellow line not a red one. If you are experiencing problems you could render the timeline or "convert" clips in you bin to Edius to "lossless.avi" or a variety of other HQ file types. Also, you can post the problem over at http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php and most likely get a speedy response.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]80647[/ATTACH]

Here is my system specs: Edius 5.5, HDSPARK, Asus P6T Deluxe mobo, i7-920 processor, Antec 900-2 case, Corsair 650 watt p.s., Corsair 3GB XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3, Sapphire HD7770, WD 160GB Caviar, 1TD WD Caviar Black, Lite-on IHAS324, Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium, Vista 32 bit.
          red or Yellow, getting confused with the diffeent color the various nle se. the thing is that at a certain point i must render very often if i want to have a reasonable play back. that is why wantto try a transcode of al clips before start edit

Comment

ok, transcode your files and all will play correctly. Use canopus lossless for the best quality.
            Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
            Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
            Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Williams View Post
              ok, transcode your files and all will play correctly. Use canopus lossless for the best quality.
              ok made a test
              actually i had mainly Yellow(or orange) line, not red. still not really nice though
              i Had converted the same project in lossles and it all become blue line
              it is a big improvemnt! isnt' it?
              and yes if i apply a strong effet (magic bullet denoiser for example) i get red line
              and for this i suppose i can only change cpu?

p.s.
              does anyone experience problem in writing in this forum?often happen that key i press on m keyboard are not detected in the post i am writing, i have to press again and stronger..kleyboard react different from normal
              Last edited by stefanocps; 01-06-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

right..i got confused form edus itself, the version 7 whne start it say quad core detected
                i don't undertand, you sayinng better to disable hyperthreading if there is any enabled?
                No, it's not better to disable hyperthreading, hyperthreading tries to get each processor core to function as if it were two cores. Some software will detect hyperthreaded cores as if they were double. Windows Task Manager running on my Core i7 (quad core with hyperthreading) will display and show a graph showing eight "threads" (apparent cores) when the Performance tab is clicked on.

It's still only a quad core and not capable of matching an actual 8 core machine in processing power.

Comment

and yes if i apply a strong effet (magic bullet denoiser for example) i get red line
                  and for this i suppose i can only change cpu?
                  Unlikely. Generally older motherboards will not support Core i5 and Core i7 processors. And more recent memory may also be required. Since the developement of multi core processors I've ordered complete PC's by Dell and by HP featuring a ready built solution with all components designed to work together. I realize this is better priced for us living in the US but you might check into it.

Once I started using AVCHD and Mov based HD cameras, my dual core with hyperthreading processor based computer proved woefully inadequate.

Comment

What's the codec you are using in camera? I find the 50mbps 1080p is the best
                    HeriPhotography
                    Creative Photo & Video Production in Montreal

Comment

my motherboard support vpre up to i7, so i will upgrade soon..money are never enough, and i am planning to buy an hdmi monitor first. editing right now is sitl possible, may be with some slow moment beacusa of render but still possible. external monitor start to be a must, though, as manual focus in the little display it is too hard for me

Comment

Originally posted by heri View Post
                        What's the codec you are using in camera? I find the 50mbps 1080p is the best
                        That's what I use.

Comment

Working...
                        X