Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gh3 color space / contrast completely wrong ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gh3 color space / contrast completely wrong ?

Hello,

I just started shooting with a GH3.
    What I shot looks fine on the camera's built-in monitor.
    When I look at the footage on the pc, it seems as if it's in the wrong colorspace. Ultra contrasty, ultra saturated. Basically all the colors are wrong.
    Is there a simple setting somewhere that I'm missing ?

Many thanks,

rzmu

What is your post workflow? What software are you viewing the footage in?

Comment

Just put the card in the pc, viewing with windows media player.

Comment

Try another viewer like quicktime or import into your NLE. Do they look like the display? or WMP?

Comment

GH3 MOV records full range video unlike normal video devices. So it records levels 0-255. Video players and tv systems uses normally scale 16-235. So in normal playback you loose GH3 highlights and shadows. You must compensate this with player/video editor/graphics card settings.

Comment

Originally posted by rzmu View Post
            Hello,

I just started shooting with a GH3.
            What I shot looks fine on the camera's built-in monitor.
            When I look at the footage on the pc, it seems as if it's in the wrong colorspace. Ultra contrasty, ultra saturated. Basically all the colors are wrong.
            Is there a simple setting somewhere that I'm missing ?

Many thanks,

rzmu
            Check the image settings on your monitor. Most LCD monitors seem to come out of the box with Sharpness, Brightness, and Contrast all set way to high. Using the controls on your monitor pull everything back to midscale and begin "tweaking" in very small increments.

MPIX.com used to sell a small monitor adjustment kit for only $5 or so. It had color corrected prints, and that same image on a CD. You could display the CD image on your monitor, hold the print up close to the monitor and adjust the monitor controls until you had something close to the print.

You'll never get a perfect match but get as close as you can.

Comment

Working...
            X