Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you do the pulldown after you've edited all your clips in final cut? I followed the instructions for the pulldown using compressor settings. Will this work? My film is due tomorrow! Thanks!

Comment

I read that the answer is no. but is there any easy way to do this? I've edited my entire 8minute film already. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by asteele10 View Post
        I read that the answer is no. but is there any easy way to do this? I've edited my entire 8minute film already. Thanks
        You'd have to set your timeline to 24p, convert the files to 24p then reconnect. You'll have 1-2 frame gaps located througout yourtimline, so you'll need to cover those up.

Don't go the cheap route by exporting your film from the 30fps timeline then converting - you'll just mess it up since the cadence won't be right.

Honestly, just turn it in as 30fps and have a merry xmas
        https://www.Psynema.com Visit Psynema.com to see a few of my video productions, especially if you're from Philadelphia and need a hand on your next production. I use Adobe CC Premiere and After Effects, Glidecam, and I have a screenplay pilot in I'm trying to produce as well.

Comment

What is the news with the latest FCP 7 and compressor 3.5? Anybody have it yet and does it remove pulldown properly now?
          www.burningcrowpictures.com

Comment

Does anyone know why you couldn't do the same thing in cinema tools to avoid the extra file and all the time it takes to run through compressor?

Comment

From http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=195677

Here are my results using JES Deinterlacer Reinterlace Chroma:

OFF: the color red is jagged
              ON - Input setting only: the jagged edges disappear, but every other frame has chroma interlacing issues.
              ON - Both Input and Project settings: The jagged edges are gone, and no chroma interlacing issues appear.

For best results: turn ON Reinterlace Chroma in both the Input and Project settings.

Comment

JES has not been reliable for me especially since the Hack. Importing and Pulldown take forever now with the higher bitrates. Switching to Premiere for sure I think unless apple pulls native support out of it's but for FCP8
                https://www.Psynema.com Visit Psynema.com to see a few of my video productions, especially if you're from Philadelphia and need a hand on your next production. I use Adobe CC Premiere and After Effects, Glidecam, and I have a screenplay pilot in I'm trying to produce as well.

Comment

I'm having a pulldown issue with FCP. Of course, I shot everything on a DVX100A in 24p, but i founf this thread and thought I might get straighter answers than the condescending folk at CreativeCow. I've already imported an edited the entire project... a whole feature film. I didn't even notice the issue until watching a DVD of footage we shot as dailies. If I use JES Deinterlacer to remove the pulldown, do I have to do it a shot at a time, or can I put a whole scene or larger of various cuts and have it process it? I know I CAN, but will that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac_Brody View Post
                    Compressor Pulldown Removal:

...set your output folder and click submit (this renders pretty fast and Compressor automatically finds the pulldown cadence and removes it).
                    I'm having a speed issue. And it's inconsistent at that.

I had 316 clips that needed to have the 3:2 pulldown. Only 260 of them completed, initially, and it took about 36 hours; the average clip length is about a minute. If my math is right (always questionable) that's just over 8 minutes per clip. Sound about right?

I've gone through and located the missing clips & doing pulldown removal on those now. The first clip (about 1 min. in length) took 7 minutes to complete, but the next clip, which was only 36 seconds, took over an hour and seemed to be hung at about 80% complete.

Has anyone had similar issues with Compressor being inconsistent & slightly unreliable?

I shot everything 1080\24 on the GH1 in AVCHD.
                    Last edited by squarerootofnine; 11-04-2010, 07:48 AM. Reason: added detail

Comment

Do I have to do this pulldown operation when using imovie?

It seems to work fine but I'm fresh off the boat with this stuff.

Comment

I am a beginner, I have a stupid question wanna ask... how can I import my footage to log and transfer in final cut pro? Coz it says my video (AVCHD) is not compatible when I try to drag my video across to the log and transfer window.

Comment

You need the AVCHD plug-in but it should have come to you in an update. There's a new one from Panasonic but it is not Lion compatible yet. It is supposed to do away with the transcoding. I'd be surprised by that, to be honest.

If you have the plug-in the procedure is pretty simple.

Plug your card in and then start FCP. Open a new project and I save it before starting the transcode. I also set up the System Prefs ahead of time as well--capture scratch and auto save and so forth. Then open log and transfer, which is under the "file" menu. It ought to automatically find the files on your SD card.

Then you can select the whole folder or individual clips for transcode. You can watch them and set ins and out and name the clips and other notes like angles and so forth.

For transcoding, you have two preference choices from what I remember--AIC or ProRes. I don't think that there is a ProRes HQ option or a 444 option from what I remember.

I use ProRes for higher end productions, but day to day we are cutting TV in AIC. It is just a much smaller file although not as good quality from what I've read. The process is pretty simple. One hiccup is that sometimes the Log and Transfer doesn't find you card or the files. It can be a little tricky, but I've found if you're coming right from the card from the camera it has no trouble.

The transcoded files are put into the "Capture Scratch" folder you created in System Prefs.

By the way, I finished cutting a feature last week on my iMac and MacBook Pro that was shot on the Red and the procedure for our purposes was really the same as long as you have the RedCode plug-in. I got half the footage already in ProRes, but the other half wasn't ready. My partner and I took three days, 24 hours a day with three to four Macs transcoding. It was just crazy.

Comment

Working...
                          X