Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I use Neoscene or VoltaicHD will it preserve the original time-stamp of the original clip? This is important due to the fact that most people in professional situations will be shooting double system sound. We need the original time-stamp of the clip so we can easily sync it up to our audio files.

Comment

Aren't all version of ProRes, HQ, LT, even proxy, 10-bit? Also don't they all convert to 4:2:2 unless you're using ProRes 4444?
      "Can't stop the signal."

http://www.vimeo.com/benbunch
      benbunchfilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_B View Post
        Aren't all version of ProRes, HQ, LT, even proxy, 10-bit? Also don't they all convert to 4:2:2 unless you're using ProRes 4444?
        Yes and yes.

Comment

so do you guys have the REMOVE ADVANCED PULLDOWN AND DUPLICATE FRAMES box checked or unchecked when you log and transfer in FCP?
          sigpic

I love my Canon 7D more than my own parents...

Comment

"The Remove Advanced Pulldown and Duplicate Frames option in the Log and Transfer window preferences allows you to remove redundant (duplicate) frames recorded in variable frame rate DVCPRO HD 720p footage. You can also select this option to remove advanced (2:3:3:2) pull-down from 29.97 fps footage such as 1080i and 480i, resulting in 23.98 fps (24p) footage on disk after ingest.

The Panasonic AG-HVX200 camcorder can record 24p footage on P2 cards using three methods:

Native 23.98 fps (no pull-down or extra frames)

23.98 fps with standard 3:2 (2:3:2:3) pull-down

23.98 fps with advanced (2:3:3:2) pull-down

Important: The Log and Transfer window cannot remove standard 3:2 pull-down. To convert footage with 3:2 pull-down, you can ingest the media at 29.97 fps and then use Cinema Tools to remove the pull-down."

Isn't GH1 some flavor of 3:2 pulldown? So this wouldn't apply. I believe this feature is for removing pulldown on stuff in a 29.97 fps stream? Hmm wish apple would support us. Right now I am using the compressor method for when I am shooting 1080p but haven't done much 1080p work...will probably be using JES if I do more but I've had a few stability problems with it (probably solved by making a bottle)
            Last edited by Ben_B; 09-14-2009, 11:05 PM.
            "Can't stop the signal."

benbunchfilms.com

Comment

I am testing both and having big trouble with JES staying open and working on all the clips, so giving compressor a whirl. Seems to think it'll take about 8 minutes for 30 short clips.
              Stuart Hooper

Comment

I tried EVERYTHING you described on the compressor tutorial, but all I get is a very, very HUGE file with 29.97fps

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

I found a option in FCP "Tools" Reverse Telecine, I just clicked there and it gave me a exact 24fps vid! too easy to be true?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lee View Post
                    I tried EVERYTHING you described on the compressor tutorial, but all I get is a very, very HUGE file with 29.97fps

What am I doing wrong?
                    You probably set the FPS to 29.97...you need to set it to 23.97 and do so manually as it is not one of the listed options.
                    "Can't stop the signal."

benbunchfilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_B View Post
                      You probably set the FPS to 29.97...you need to set it to 23.97 and do so manually as it is not one of the listed options.
                      I am 100% sure that I set the FPS manually to 23.97

I'll try to post some print screens, this is very weird...

Comment

How long does it take to remove pulldown in Compressor or JES for 2 minute clips that are 1080p?

I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo with 7200rpm harddrive.

Comment

I like using compressor more because it seems more reliable to me...best way to find out how long it will take for you is to try it!
                          "Can't stop the signal."

benbunchfilms.com

Comment

Thanks for replying Ben. I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic GH1 for it's video. The quality I've seen on Vimeo is awesome. I wanted to ask if editing the GH1 footage is easy in FCP. I keep hearing things about how difficult it is to work with AVCHD codec.

Comment

You have to transcode it to use it in FCP, which takes a fair amount of time and a whole lot of hard drive space (about a gig a minute) but once that's done it works with the transcoded footage just fine...for 1080p footage you'll need to remove the pulldown with compressor...this is also pretty time consuming, but it all depends on how fast a computer you have. Once that's all done though it should all edit really nicely on a variety of hardware.
                              "Can't stop the signal."

benbunchfilms.com

Comment

Thanks for posting the pulldown removal workflow that FINALLY worked for me!

I was given QT movies that were already captured in FCP after having been shot on an HVX200 in 24p (not 24pA). I needed to edit them in a 24p timeline. I received some helpful suggestions as to removing pulldown using Cinema Tools and Compressor. However, while both workflows exported a 23.976 clip and seemed to remove pulldown, the video had nasty artifacts no matter what cadence I tried in Cinema Tools. (I believe Compressor detected cadence automatically).

The clips exported using JES Deinterlacer were smooth, with no artifacts.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X