C4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH5 C4K

Not quite up to NorBro's Oscar worthy cinematography, but here's a camera comparison for those interested (description copied from Vimeo page)

Six months ago I rented a Panasonic S5 and Sigma 44mm f/2.8, and in the absence of any exotic locations, filmed what is my preferred cycling route using the SLR Magic Anamorphot adapter (C4K 23.98). Although a different time of year, I wanted to compare footage shot in real 24p and C4K resolution with my favorite lens combination on the GH5.

Technical details:

Panasonic GH5 hand held
    Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 lens
    SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot-40 Compact adapter
    SLR Magic variable ND filter
    4K 10-bit 4:2:2
    V-Log L profile

https://vimeo.com/565137098

And here is the S5 version

https://vimeo.com/532935701
    Last edited by stoneinapond; 07-24-2021, 11:34 AM.

Nassau county?

You ever check out the Bethpage or Massapequa trail?

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
      Nassau county?
      Yes indeed.

You ever check out the Bethpage or Massapequa trail?
      Age and a lack of a bike rack keeps cycling local. I did walk the Massapequa trail if we are talking about the same place.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

I actually saw the Nassau Blvd. signs after posting but didn't bother editing. I live in Suffolk and only walked about half of the Mspq trail once, but I think both are pretty popular.

Comment

off topic @stoneinapond

I just watched the "Les Châteaux de La Loire" video series on your vimeo channel. Very nice. I have been there in the last millenium and made the tour as well. It's a heartwarming souvenir.

The GH5 is a real beast with incredible details and sharpness.

Comment

Originally posted by Clermond View Post
            off topic @stoneinapond

I just watched the "Les Châteaux de La Loire" video series on your vimeo channel. Very nice. I have been there in the last millenium and made the tour as well. It's a heartwarming souvenir.

The GH5 is a real beast with incredible details and sharpness.
            Glad they brought back good memories. The thing the staggers my mind is how many of those there are (hundreds) and how they are 'simply' a second or third hunting/summer lodge for those in the French royalty.

Still very much enjoying the GH5.

Thanks

Comment

Bit late to see this but thought I’d mention it looked lovely, like pretty much everything you shoot.

May I ask why you chose the SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot-40 adaptor over alternatives such as the Sirui lenses?

I think I’m ready to try some low-cost anamorphic option or other, but I’m not sure which one. I also use a Micro Four Thirds camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Dilworth View Post
                May I ask why you chose the SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot-40 adaptor over alternatives such as the Sirui lenses?
                Thanks Samuel. Comments much appreciated.

I started using the adapter in 2017 when Sirui lenses were not even on the horizon. It was, and still is a low cost, currently in production solution for anamorphic shooting.

The main reason I love the adapter and 25mm pairing, other than delivering to my eyes a lovely and clear image, is it allows for pass-through of auto focus if the taking lens features it. This makes it very attractive for my kind of filming, solo and constantly on the move. That's not to say I wouldn't use it in a more formal setting, because I would. Also it can be paired with a large amount of focus length lenses with the one caveat that the front glass element of the taking lens not be over 40mm in diameter. That does cut down on the number of available lenses. (The bigger Anamorphot 50 does not suffer from that requirement, and although does support some auto focusing, not nearly as consistently as the 40.)

To some, the downside is the double focus requirement (which doesn't bother me in the least). The other issue is the adapter works best at around f/4 which can seem slow on m43, although I think I occasionally pushed it down to f/2.8. Again, not an issue for me, and although a subjective observation, I find the grain in low light to be acceptable.

The discussion of anamorphic lenses could fill pages but in brief, while I like the functionality and speed of the Sirui, their over emphasis of the blue flaring is way too much for me. It looks hard. But I'm glad they are availble and their price is very attractive. There are some other alternatives I want to try but those will have to wait for the arrival of a GH6 since I sold my GH5 in anticipation.

Last edited by stoneinapond; 01-04-2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Ah. Those are some considerations I hadn’t appreciated. Thanks.

If you mostly use the adaptor with a single lens, the 25 mm f/1.7, do you find that to be about the right angle of view for everything? I just checked and most of my lenses have front elements bigger than 40 mm.

That was a bold move to sell the GH5 before the GH6 arrives! I hope the new camera meets expectations when it finally shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Dilworth View Post

....do you find that to be about the right angle of view for everything?
                    I do. And if I need to get closer there are diopters which fit most anamorphic lenses.

https://vimeo.com/233930215

No worries about the GH5. I still have my GX85 that in a pinch can work with the anamorphic combo. But these days I use it mostly for photos with the Panna Leica 12-60. A lovely combination.

If you are interested in the Sirui, a reasonably cheap option is to rent one for a week (if you are in the US). That's the only way to realy see if it works for you.

https://www.lensrentals.com/catalog_search?q=sirui

Comment

Unfortunately I’m in Europe where rentals are aimed at professional production and priced accordingly. I doubt I could even find these Sirui lenses to rent. Cooke, yes!

The blue flares put me off too. I guess there had to be a catch. I’ll try to find out exactly how easily these flares are provoked before giving up the idea.

Otherwise, the SLR Magic adaptor looks interesting. But I’d have to get a small-diameter lens to go with it, which puts the price into Sirui lens territory.

Another approach might be to wait for a new Chinese lens with less intense blue flares to arrive on the market. But you could spend your whole life waiting for an improved widget …

Comment

Working...
                      X