Sailing to Dia (Anamorphic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH5 Sailing to Dia (Anamorphic)

Another family gathering in Europe, this time in Crete (if averse to this genre, or older people in swimsuits, skip it ).

Shot hand held in 4k 10-bit 4:2:2 resolution using the Panasonic GH5, adapted 1.33x anamorphic lens, and SLR Magic variable ND. With all the latest firmware revisions installed, the combination shows a big improvement over last year’s filming.

Presented in true 2.35.1 aspect ratio.

https://vimeo.com/278860413

3.35 reminds me of a Bond movie, nice shots, nice color! Moving boat works as a slider.
    Peter Bosman

Comment

Beautifully shot. Like the direction you took the color grade. Did you use the 400Mbps data rate for this?
      Ted Ramasola
      Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

Comment

Just curious what kind of aperture you used.
        To me anamorphic does not make much sense unless you use a shallow DOF and preferably a 2x lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Publimix View Post
          3.35 reminds me of a Bond movie, nice shots, nice color! Moving boat works as a slider.
          Thanks. The Phoenician fort at Heraklion has been featured in several major movies. And I though exactly the same thing about the slider-like effect, albeit a little costly for everyday use....

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
            Beautifully shot. Like the direction you took the color grade. Did you use the 400Mbps data rate for this?
            Many thanks again. Used the basic 150Mbps and Natural profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary Knoop View Post
              Just curious what kind of aperture you used.
              To me anamorphic does not make much sense unless you use a shallow DOF and preferably a 2x lens.
              1.33x and 2x deliver two very different aesthetics. Yes, 2x could be a good choice for certain narratives, but I don't understand what you mean by not making sense. Do you mean that 1.33x isn't really anamorphic (you'd be wrong) or that you don't really like the aesthetic (absolutely your right)?

At my age and with what I'm trying to do, the setup makes perfect sense. The camera and lens are already veering to the heavy side, and the combination only gets heavier as the filming progresses, something I humiliatingly learnered while attempting an eight kilometer hike through a Cretan gorge. Trying to replicate much of my footage using a 2x lens would be foolhardy.

To answer your question, the adapter's manufacturer recommends an aperture of f/4. I did occasionally push it lower, but mostly stayed in that region, or slightly above. A shallow DOF wouldn't make sense for what I'm doing, and what shallowness there is throughout the footage is plenty enough for my purposes.

Comment

Nice colors.

What lens did you adapt?

Comment

Thanks. I was surprised how vibrant the colors came out. I did do some grading in FCP X. The taking lens is the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 and the adapter is SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot 40 Compact

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
                    1.33x and 2x deliver two very different aesthetics. Yes, 2x could be a good choice for certain narratives, but I don't understand what you mean by not making sense. Do you mean that 1.33x isn't really anamorphic (you'd be wrong) or that you don't really like the aesthetic (absolutely your right)?
                    The point to me for using an anamorphic lens is the shallow DOF aesthetics and reflections, what other point would there be?

For instance:

Comment

Originally posted by Cary Knoop View Post
                      The point to me for using an anamorphic lens is the shallow DOF aesthetics and reflections, what other point would there be?
                      For me the main attraction as far as 1.33x and m43 are concerned, is the sense of depth that the anamorphic process delivers in a two dimensional rendition. By the vary physical nature of the anamorphic element, the camera is capturing a disparity between the two side of a scene, which produces a kind of mild reverse 3D effect when the image is properly processed.

I find a cropped image from a circular lens to be just as flat as the un-cropped version. I know people make the argument that major movies are shot with circular lenses and cropped, but the huge difference there is lighting. Lighting is used creatively to add depth to a scene. I do not have the luxury of lighting what I'm shooting, and it's always in a constantly moving context.

As for 2x, the situation is slightly different because of the shallow depth of field produced even at stopped down apertures. The width of the image also adds to a dramatic effect, but I do find that certain effects of 2x filming are overused and often attract attention to themselves, when the image should be serving the story, not itself.

Hope that answers your question.

Comment

Very nice work here JUrek - really enjoyed these Greek scenes and love the colors. You have an incredibly steady hand on top of that. Look forward to more of your anamorphic work. Pretty much convinced me to get this setup.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyjl View Post
                          ...really enjoyed these Greek scenes and love the colors...
                          Thanks!

I now understand the Greek flag.

Blue and white
                          Water and light

Hard not to fall in love with it...

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Liked the video and it looked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
                              Thanks for sharing. Liked the video and it looked great.
                              Thank you. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X