Bandoneon solo

troelskirk

I shot this video of my wife in tango music mode on the last day of 2012, using my two un-hacked GH2´s with Zuiko 11-22 and Konica AR 40mm, sound from a Tascam Dr-05 recorder

Troels - I really liked that, thank you. The idea for black on black has worked very well. The instrument has always intrigued me and I wish I could have seen some of your wife's left hand work too - so I could see how she was producing some of the accompaniment. It's also a great example of how good portable audio recorders are when used properly. They get moaned and groaned about so often but when you hear what they can produce on a real instrument in a real room, with a real performer - I wonder why so many people moan.

Thank you Paul! I wish I had one more GH2 too... for the left hand. The argentinian version of the bandoneon is an unbelievably difficult instrument to play, and the produces a very rich variety of sound timbres. I am amazed how well the little Tascam performs, with just a little equalizing needed to match the sound from the instrument. It was placed about two feet away from the bandoneon, just below the visible area. We live in an old small cinema, and the theater has a fine natural reverb. To catch that I mixed in a little of the ambient sound from the front view camera.

Beautiful Troels- the images and the music! How did you light it?
Your wife is very talented-I love when she plays with vibrato.
We live in an old small cinema, and the theater has a fine natural reverb. To catch that I mixed in a little of the ambient sound from the front view camera.
No kidding- what a great home! Nice mix of the audio sources!

Thank you! I used fluorescent work lights... a powerful one high up on the right and a small lower down on the left. Finally I turned on one of the small, roof mounted theater fresnels for a little sparkle in eyes and bandoneon corners.

Having the small theater next to one's living quarters is indeed a bonus. I use it to exhibit my paintings and we arrange concerts and movie evenings... but it is expensive to heat in winter ;o)

theatre3.jpg

Wow, what a space! Complete with proscenium arch and lyre above it- classic! :thumbsup:
What year was the theater built?

Between gallery, movies and studio, you've got it all covered- congrats!

Is the fluorescent work light the one hanging down from the ceiling, to the left of the lyre?

Thanks for sharing, and... what movie are you screening next? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Wow, what a space! Complete with proscenium arch and lyre above it- classic! :thumbsup:
What year was the theater built?

Between gallery, movies and studio, you've got it all covered- congrats!

Is the fluorescent work light the one hanging down from the ceiling, to the left of the lyre?

Thanks for sharing, and... what movie are you screening next? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

The theater is from 1904, and we are slowly removing the ugly 1970'ies brown chipboard and bringing the place back to the original look...
The worklights I used were on stands... the hanging light is a 1930ies room light.
And next screening will be "The Artist", the silent movie :smile:

Very cool- I have a seat from a 1915 New York theater, but you have a treasure!!!

And thanks for reminding me that I need to see The Artist...

Back