GH2: Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH2: Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch

Grand Canyon South Kaibab trail to Phantom Ranch, near the banks of the Colorado River. Continuing on to Ribbon Falls.

Panasonic GH2
    Lumix 14-45, 7-14, & 20mm f1.7

Dan Carter: Panasonic TM700, GH2 and GH3, Sony RX100II and RX10, Final Cut Pro X
    http://www.vimeo.com/user582748

Great filming as usual Dan,was this footage taken with your other Grand Canyon filming or more recent stuff.Chris

Comment

Originally posted by flinty View Post
      Great filming as usual Dan,was this footage taken with your other Grand Canyon filming or more recent stuff.Chris
      Always good to hear from you Chris.

All scenes are from a 4 day trip this February when camping permits are easy and crowds small.

Thank you for watching.
      Dan Carter: Panasonic TM700, GH2 and GH3, Sony RX100II and RX10, Final Cut Pro X

Comment

I love you Dan.
        __________________________________________________ ____________________
        Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
        Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
        Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Ha! Seriously - I LOVE THAT PLACE! THAT TRAIL! EVERYTHING!

Watching your video just totally changed my mindset for the day.

Thanks man!
          __________________________________________________ ____________________
          Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
            Ha! Seriously - I LOVE THAT PLACE! THAT TRAIL! EVERYTHING!

Watching your video just totally changed my mindset for the day.

Thanks man!
            I know the feeling. I've been obsessed with GC for 25 years.

I'm most happy to hear you enjoyed the project DP. Thanks for watching.

Comment

I spent two nights in early April of ‘81 crashing on the floor of a ranger’s accommodation on the South Rim. I remember waking up in the mornings experiencing profound feelings and sensations that are hard to describe to anyone who hasn’t been there. This was not my first visit, a visit where I overheard a large, elderly lady state that “when you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all” as she descended from an equally large and obscene mobile camper and hastily retreated to its confines to be quickly ferried to yet another “boring” location. We also had to move on too soon.

This time I was able to explore and breathe the cool morning air and smell the scent of pines, to walk some of the trails and watch the sunsets, away from the yet to arrive bustling crowds. It has remained an indelible memory, one that was viscerally re-experienced while watching your piece, triggered I think at 2.30 where a guy steps into his hut. It was as if I was back there for just an instant, fully feeling again the beauty of the place.

You are very lucky to have access on what appears to be a regular basis. I envy you. I will be returning next year to the GC, but unfortunately only as guide to some family friends who will be on a fast paced tour. I’ll take it anyway, but in the meantime thanks for posting an excellent video. One question, did you use a polarizer on some of the footage, or is the sky still really that blue?

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
                I spent two nights in early April of ‘81 crashing on the floor of a ranger’s accommodation on the South Rim. I remember waking up in the mornings experiencing profound feelings and sensations that are hard to describe to anyone who hasn’t been there. This was not my first visit, a visit where I overheard a large, elderly lady state that “when you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all” as she descended from an equally large and obscene mobile camper and hastily retreated to its confines to be quickly ferried to yet another “boring” location. We also had to move on too soon.

This time I was able to explore and breathe the cool morning air and smell the scent of pines, to walk some of the trails and watch the sunsets, away from the yet to arrive bustling crowds. It has remained an indelible memory, one that was viscerally re-experienced while watching your piece, triggered I think at 2.30 where a guy steps into his hut. It was as if I was back there for just an instant, fully feeling again the beauty of the place.

You are very lucky to have access on what appears to be a regular basis. I envy you. I will be returning next year to the GC, but unfortunately only as guide to some family friends who will be on a fast paced tour. I’ll take it anyway, but in the meantime thanks for posting an excellent video. One question, did you use a polarizer on some of the footage, or is the sky still really that blue?

Sigh.
                Very happy to hear I was able to take you back to GC with this project. As you say, I'm fortunate that every time I leave GC, I can be planning my next visit.

Though I most always use polarizers for exteriors, the sky is still truly that blue in winter. Though I've been here 30 years, I'm still surprised by it on a regular basis.

Thanks for watching.

Comment

Dan,

I've wanted to visit Phantom Ranch for years. Thank you reminding me why...

Comment

Working...
                  X