Wanted: a quality HD video from the GH2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted: a quality HD video from the GH2

I'd like to download a 1920 x 1080 video shot on the GH2 to check out the quality. No good just being able to watch it on screen, I want to actually download the file so I can take it to a friend's place and watch it on a large screen. I've tried going through the videos on Vimeo, but I can't search for "downloadable" files.

Anyone know of a 2-5 minute, downloadable, 1080p video shot on the GH2 that shows the GH2 at its best? I'd prefer a video that has a high data rate, something >30MB/s, so that there is no question that the image is as good as it can get.

since the output of the GH2 is 24Mb/s and you are wanting >30MB/s, I'm assuming you desire something that is transcoded into another format than AVCHD?

Comment

Yes, that's correct. I want something that has been edited, looks professional, and shows off the GH2 at its best. I can't see the point of a supposed high-quality video encoded at low bit rate. So something in H.264 format that I can easily share with others via Quicktime or other readily playable format, and think: "Wow, can such a small camera really do that?" The figure of 30 Mb/s was quoted simply to keep away from poorer quality movies. As well, I'd like to see the effect, for example, of me reencoding at lower bit rates in QT.
      Last edited by guyburns; 05-31-2011, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guyburns View Post
        Yes, that's correct. I want something that has been edited, looks professional, and shows off the GH2 at its best. I can't see the point of a supposed high-quality video encoded at low bit rate. So something in H.264 format that I can easily share with others via Quicktime or other readily playable format, and think: "Wow, can such a small camera really do that?" The figure of 30 Mb/s was quoted simply to keep away from poorer quality movies. As well, I'd like to see the effect, for example, of me reencoding at lower bit rates in QT.
        Would you like some tea while you're waiting?

Comment

Transcoding to another format, especially a lossy format like H264, would not be any higher quality than AVCHD from the camera. It won't and can't increase the quality beyond what it was originally, it will only degrade it from that point. What you'll succeed in actually seeing would only be how the codec(or transcoded codec) holds up to editing and how effective the software doing the transcoding is able to retain detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Svart View Post
            Transcoding to another format, especially a lossy format like H264, would not be any higher quality than AVCHD from the camera. It won't and can't increase the quality beyond what it was originally, it will only degrade it from that point. What you'll succeed in actually seeing would only be how the codec(or transcoded codec) holds up to editing and how effective the software doing the transcoding is able to retain detail.
            +1
            This is very true.
            Seeing transcoded matierial at a higher bitrate isnt goign to increase the quality one bit.
            Maybe the OP should just ask for the original AVCHD to see for themselves the possible quality etc.

Comment

Here I've made my most recent music video available for download... I'll leave it like that for a day or two...

http://vimeo.com/23520853
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seanmcleod View Post
                Here I've made my most recent music video available for download... I'll leave it like that for a day or two...

http://vimeo.com/23520853
                Wowza! Very nice video - song, cinematography, direction, and SFX were all right on. Thanks for creating another masterpiece us GH'ers can aspire to.

Comment

Haha, thanks very much... you're too kind! haha
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks Sean. At least you understood the general gist of what I was after – a video, and not a lecture. However, your video is not 1080p, and the bit rate is rather low if my calculations are correct: 73.8M x 8/240 = 2.5Mb/s. The file you linked to is probably a fine-looking video, but not what I'm after – which is a 1080p, 24fps, video in easily playable format, at a bit rate that ensures that there is minimum loss of quality from the original shot footage. So it would have to be pretty high.

Everyone else – keep the lectures coming. There's always something I can learn. However, I am well aware that increasing the bit-rate cannot improve the quality of the original, it can only keep the degradation to a minimum (what I'm after). And AVCHD would be fine, but I can't play it, and none of my mates who have HD screens can play that format either. I just want to see a top-quality video from the GH2 that arguably has suffered no visible degradation, and which I can play around with in QT. And if someone tells me that I won't see any visible degradation at bit rates of <5Mb/s, I'll ask the question: why then does every user of a GH camera always want higher bit rates than that figure?

I asked a related question several months ago (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...sts&highlight=), but no one responded.

Sean, if 20th Century Fox came knocking and said they wanted to turn your video into an Oscar-winning BluRay disk, would you just tell them to download the file from Vimeo? I'm not being sarcastic – would there be any discernible differnce between your source file and what was uploaded?

I want to find out the effect of bit rates on visual quality, which is why I'm looking for a high bit-rate source so that I can play around with it, knowing that what I'm starting with has minimal distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by guyburns View Post
                      Thanks Sean. At least you understood the general gist of what I was after – a video, and not a lecture. However, your video is not 1080p, and the bit rate is rather low if my calculations are correct: 73.8M x 8/240 = 2.5Mb/s. The file you linked to is probably a fine-looking video, but not what I'm after – which is a 1080p, 24fps, video in easily playable format, at a bit rate that ensures that there is minimum loss of quality from the original shot footage. So it would have to be pretty high.

Everyone else – keep the lectures coming. There's always something I can learn. However, I am well aware that increasing the bit-rate cannot improve the quality of the original, it can only keep the degradation to a minimum (what I'm after). And AVCHD would be fine, but I can't play it, and none of my mates who have HD screens can play that format either. I just want to see a top-quality video from the GH2 that arguably has suffered no visible degradation, and which I can play around with in QT. And if someone tells me that I won't see any visible degradation at bit rates of <5Mb/s, I'll ask the question: why then does every user of a GH camera always want higher bit rates than that figure?

I asked a related question several months ago (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...sts&highlight=), but no one responded.

Sean, if 20th Century Fox came knocking and said they wanted to turn your video into an Oscar-winning BluRay disk, would you just tell them to download the file from Vimeo? I'm not being sarcastic – would there be any discernible differnce between your source file and what was uploaded?

I want to find out the effect of bit rates on visual quality, which is why I'm looking for a high bit-rate source so that I can play around with it, knowing that what I'm starting with has minimal distortion.
                      Im sure non one here meant to lecture you per say, I know I sure didnt.
                      Its just that it seemed like you wanted something that wasnt possible at the time.
                      Now we understand what you mean and maybe someone can now help you with that request.

Comment

Just go down to your local camera store and ask the friendly salesperson to show you a GH2. Get an SD tell him, or her, to set the camera to 1080p and shoot your heart out. Take the card and dump it in your computer. It is simpler than downloading from someone else. And you don't worry about getting lectured here. It is the way I do it when I want to check a new camera. And it works great, really.

Comment

John that would have been my first answer also. But in re-reading his request it seems as if he is looking for polished work (shot, prepped and graded) done on this camera and displayed at the highest possible data rate (with barely any degradation to the original footage). Sort of like that great piece shot by seanmcleod at the 1920x1080. I get his request… I would like to see that also.

Comment

The question in my mind is why?

Comment

Yes there is a noticeable difference between the Pro Res and the h.264, but I'm pretty sure the original file I uploaded was 1080p. Anyway, if the master file is nearly 4GBs or something so if I can find a place to host it maybe I'll throw it up there for you, or maybe just export a minute of it and host it on my site, sometime tonight.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X