GH2: Alcatraz Island (The Rock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH2: Alcatraz Island (The Rock)

Alcatraz Island is an island located in the San Francisco Bay, 1.5 miles offshore from San Francisco, California, United States. Often referred to as "The Rock", the small island served as a lighthouse, a military fortification, a military prison, and a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison until 1963. Later, in 1972, Alcatraz became a national recreation area and received landmarking designations in 1976 and 1986.

Today, the island is a historic site operated by the National Park Service as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and is open to tours.

Panasonic GH2
    Lumix 14-140 lens
    Benro Travel Angel tripod
    Manfrotto 700RC2 head
    Dan Carter: Panasonic TM700, GH2 and GH3, Sony RX100II and RX10, Final Cut Pro X
    http://www.vimeo.com/user582748

Good catch on the double rainbow in the ending scenes.

How did you get the long pan on the island shown throughout the video?

Comment

Originally posted by dan.carter View Post
      Alcatraz Island is an island located in the San Francisco Bay, 1.5 miles offshore from San Francisco, California, United States. Often referred to as "The Rock", the small island served as a lighthouse, a military fortification, a military prison, and a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison until 1963. Later, in 1972, Alcatraz became a national recreation area and received landmarking designations in 1976 and 1986.

Today, the island is a historic site operated by the National Park Service as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and is open to tours.

Panasonic GH2
      Lumix 14-140 lens
      Manfrotto 700RC2 head
      Agree rainbow looks great,i did reply to you on DVINFO but it was not put up.

Comment

I love your vids dan, I only wish you had the opportunity to shoot this without any other people in it. The tourists kind of kill the creepy factor. still good though. They say that place is haunted if you believe in that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by superslowcathy View Post
          Good catch on the double rainbow in the ending scenes.

How did you get the long pan on the island shown throughout the video?
          It was a lucking break. After a full day shooting in crowds, cold, wind, and rain, I was set-up on the stern of a cruise ship leaving the bay when a brief window of sun and rainbows occurred.

Thanks for watching.
          Dan Carter: Panasonic TM700, GH2 and GH3, Sony RX100II and RX10, Final Cut Pro X

Comment

Originally posted by flinty View Post
            Agree rainbow looks great,i did reply to you on DVINFO but it was not put up.
            Thank you for the good words. And thanks for watching.

Comment

Originally posted by maranfilms View Post
              I love your vids dan, I only wish you had the opportunity to shoot this without any other people in it. The tourists kind of kill the creepy factor. still good though. They say that place is haunted if you believe in that kind of thing.
              I absolutely agree, the crowds are a distraction. Though I took the first boat to the island, the crowds were a real challenge. It often took 10 or more takes to avoid people walking directly in front of the camera. Strong wind, rain, cold and crowds made this project especially challenging. I'm researching the prospect of a night visit and fewer people.

Thank you for watching.

Comment

Hey, nice film Dan!

Comment

Originally posted by dan.carter View Post

Panasonic GH2
                  Lumix 14-140 lens
                  Manfrotto 700RC2 head
                  What no mention of The Rock being occupied by native americans claiming surplus federal land, Nov. 1969 - June 1971???

Comment

Originally posted by GMC View Post
                    Hey, nice film Dan!
                    Thank you for watching, and the kind words GMC.

Comment

Originally posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
                      What no mention of The Rock being occupied by native americans claiming surplus federal land, Nov. 1969 - June 1971???
                      That too is an interesting part of Alcatraz history.

Comment

Working...
                      X