• Time
  • Show
Clear All

thailand and panasonic gh2 14-140

Why so flat?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Oller View Post
      Why so flat?
      You want to make that a complete sentence so it makes sense?

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
        You want to make that a complete sentence so it makes sense?
        Well it is fairly complete as it is. The blacks in the image are washed out. Its seems something in the grading process has pushed the mids way down and then tried to compensate by lifting up the blacks.

Zeedmanz that was a nice connect at 1.30 ish? with camera to subject.
        w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
        p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Comment

Originally posted by Noel Evans View Post
          Well it is fairly complete as it is. The blacks in the image are washed out. Its seems something in the grading process has pushed the mids way down and then tried to compensate by lifting up the blacks.

Zeedmanz that was a nice connect at 1.30 ish? with camera to subject.
          Well it might have been for some, so I thank you for making the sentence complete for me. I actually like a lote of the content. But then I'm very fond of Thailand. I looked past the "flatness" if that is what the description is.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
            I looked past the "flatness" if that is what the description is.
            The shots are nice, I'm just a bit baffled with the choice of color correction. That's all.

Comment

Your "untitled" video on Vimeo looked good.

The latest video has gamma problems.

You may be proud of it but viewers won't.

I would re-edit so that you will have proud viewers.

Comment

Always calibrate your monitor before doing any grading work. I suspect the OPs monitor may not have been calibrate correctly. I can't really figure out any other explanation for why it is so washed out.
                sigpic

http://www.keylightdigital.com

Comment

some shots it's a little too much... but I actually like the flat washed out vintage-y feel of it... that guy riding the bike is a very cool shot!
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree that it worked on some shots (flat settings) But others it washed away the detail, and the blacks looked overly crushed. I like the shot of the guy on the bike also, very cool.

Color grading is a very personal choice, to some an image may look stunning, and to others it may look terrible. I think the key is to find that medium somewhere in between, meaning grade for personal preferance, but at the same time, try not to go over the top, to where it distracts the audience from the story.

Comment

Working...
                    X