• Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH2 Rio Carnival GH2 20mm + nFD35mmf2 + nFD50mmf1.4 + FD85mmf1.8

Amazing little camera

http://vimeo.com/22423995

Make sure that you have HD on in the lower right corner of the video player

Thanks Gents.
    Last edited by James Fisk; 04-17-2011, 04:46 PM.

So what do you think?

I would love some feedback from professionals

Comment

Very atmospheric - perhaps a little long though. Thought it was great that you didn't use a tripod - made you feel that much a part of the action as a viewer.
      Have tweeted for you. @movingpictureTV
      Moving Picture TV

Comment

Some great shots! I can't believe what this little camera is capable of in the right hands. I really like some of the angles and framing you got. The editing was good.

I found it a little long also. It was definitely better than just "test footage" but it was just missing a little extra something like a narration or narrative device to really keep my attention hooked. But it's all about what you were trying to achieve? If you wanted nice footage, edited well then you definitely achieved that. If you wanted it to be a successful "short film" that was riveting from the first frame to last then I think it needs something. Even if you kept it pretty similar but just made it 5 or 6 minutes I think it would work much better.

Don't get me wrong. I liked it! And you should be proud of it. I was just looking for constructive things to say.

*disclaimer: I am not a professional.

Comment

Its a short film but with more like a be a fly on the wall and watch what happens in the four days during Rio Carnival . I honestly didn't/don't expect most people to get through day 2.
          It would have been detrimental to the work to shorten it for the sake of internet users who are notorious for short attention spans. So i edited a full breathing piece of work. Narration would
          have only made it longer.

Thanks, James

Originally posted by Searcher View Post
          Some great shots! I can't believe what this little camera is capable of in the right hands. I really like some of the angles and framing you got. The editing was good.

I found it a little long also. It was definitely better than just "test footage" but it was just missing a little extra something like a narration or narrative device to really keep my attention hooked. But it's all about what you were trying to achieve? If you wanted nice footage, edited well then you definitely achieved that. If you wanted it to be a successful "short film" that was riveting from the first frame to last then I think it needs something. Even if you kept it pretty similar but just made it 5 or 6 minutes I think it would work much better.

Don't get me wrong. I liked it! And you should be proud of it. I was just looking for constructive things to say.

*disclaimer: I am not a professional.
          Last edited by James Fisk; 04-16-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tweet! Check out my response to Searcher about the length/edit decisions.

Originally posted by movingpictureTV View Post
            Very atmospheric - perhaps a little long though. Thought it was great that you didn't use a tripod - made you feel that much a part of the action as a viewer.
            Have tweeted for you. @movingpictureTV

Comment

One of the latest top of range consumer cams would have been better for this,i personaly dont like large amounts of out of focus film,just my take mind.

Comment

Great shots thanks! Brings back wonderful memories for me, Caprichosos de Pilares!! I will have to go back to Rio soon!
                Brian Murphy
                Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
                Sony FS5 MKII-Sony FX-6 (on order) - Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
                Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
                Sigma 24-70/F2.8 Art
                Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
                DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
                DJI Mavic Mini
                Konovas motorized slider kit.
                Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

Comment

Originally posted by flinty View Post
                  One of the latest top of range consumer cams would have been better for this,i personaly dont like large amounts of out of focus film,just my take mind.
                  its a film, not a travel video, it was shot & edited that way. It makes it timeless in a way. A consumer
                  cam would have just made it a "Oh look, i went to Rio Carnival and took some video" tourist type of thing.

BTW, the GH2 is a consumer cam

Comment

Originally posted by James Fisk View Post
                    its a film, not a travel video, it was shot & edited that way. It makes it timeless in a way. A consumer
                    cam would have just made it a "Oh look, i went to Rio Carnival and took some video" tourist type of thing.

BTW, the GH2 is a consumer cam
                    So you are saying a normal cam would look worse,what could they not do if you wanted hand held following everything there ,what do you meen by a film , i own a gh2 but we just see things different i would not run around filming because cams do it a lot better,ps most like it so learn to take the odd critisim.

Comment

Well from my personal experience in film I think that the framing was night. I assume you didnt grade the color at all? Some of the clips seem to have a little to much for the eyes to really encapsulate what was going on in the video. I think overall though you did a great job, length was a bit long for my short attention span though!

Comment

Originally posted by flinty View Post
                        So you are saying a normal cam would look worse,what could they not do if you wanted hand held following everything there ,what do you meen by a film , i own a gh2 but we just see things different i would not run around filming because cams do it a lot better,ps most like it so learn to take the odd critisim.
                        What do i mean by film? It was shot at 24 fps and the lenses were almost always at maximum aperture for Depth of Field & a dreamy softer surreal look.

The lenses were only stopped down for wide crowd shots were everything needed to be in focus & sharp.

Comment

great footage James! Rio looks like a blast! The colors look awesome and the music sounds great!
                          I have a GH2 as well, been shooting great stuff with it. Getting an af100 next week.
                          Don't take the critics on this site too seriously, most of them are envious>
                          Keep shootin'!
                          R
                          www.prudentmedia.tv
                          Canon C100 MII
                          Canon C100
                          Panasonic AG AC-160a;
                          Panasonic GH2
                          Canon 70 - 200mm f. 2.8
                          Canon 24 - 105mm f. 4L;
                          Canon 24 - 70mm f. 2.8;
                          Rokinon Cine 35mm, 50mm, 85mm
                          Lumix 14 - 140; Lumix 12 - 35;
                          Lumix 20mm;

Comment

Originally posted by Amir Assasnik View Post
                            Well from my personal experience in film I think that the framing was night. I assume you didnt grade the color at all? Some of the clips seem to have a little to much for the eyes to really encapsulate what was going on in the video. I think overall though you did a great job, length was a bit long for my short attention span though!
                            LOL...yes it is heavily color graded, i read a book: Digital Color Correction. The trick is to fix the color without people knowing that it was adjusted!

So it seems like i did that right too!

Comment

so ing envious ill chuck my 30 cups away tazza,its not a crime if shaky out of focus is not your thing obviously thats how its meant to look fine.
                              Last edited by flinty; 04-16-2011, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X