Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Patsy' a GH2 short film

I shot this last week:

It's a short film about a woman looking back on one episode in her life. Would appreciate some thoughts and to see what your interpretation of it is would be awesome.

I used a Letus Talon K1 rig for steadier handheld, although we were going for a very raw feel.

The GH2 is great, used just two lenses and the LOMO 35mm was there for 80% of the shots, at F2. Great low light performance as well.
    Last edited by Andrew Reid; 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM.

I love the GH2 + b/w. Did you shoot in color, and do b/w post?

Interesting film and some great shots. Liked it very much.

Comment

The audio was pretty awful. I thought you were using the onboard mic until I saw the pictures of the zoom and shotgun mic. I also didn't get the "raw" feeling you were going for. Just seemed like handheld and was surprised when I saw you were using a shoulder mount. The story was ok, but I felt it could have been told in a shorter amount of time with better blocking.

Comment

B/W in-camera looks great but I decided to add it afterwards this time in Premiere CS5. I usually shoot B/W in-camera when I am sure the end result is going to be in B/W.

We recorded two sound tracks, one on the GH2's onboard mic which we didn't intend to use and one with the Zoom H2 and Sennheiser shotgun mic...

We didn't like the shotgun mic sound track, it blocked out all the interesting ambience.

Yes the GH2 soundtrack has it's downsides but for a onboard camera mic it is a pretty astoundingly good little stereo mic, and it captured tons of background rawness.

Opinions seem really divided over the sound track and whether the story makes sense, and whether it drags or not in the middle, but I feel it's quite a subjective thing and not due to a complete boob up. It was all intentional. Had we had longer than 6 hours to shoot it, it would have been better.

Cheers for the crit so far guys

Comment

Only problem I had with the audio was the camera noises. It's one thing to have "raw" audio but to have rubbing and clicking from the camera being heard is a bit annoying in spots.

Story makes about as much sense as it can. I mean old woman looks at a street corner, and then the young gal finds the guy in the same spot so obviously it's implying she's thinking back to the encounter.

Deliberate pace is fine, but the lack of dialogue between the two and the fact he's got plenty of money yet is sitting on a street corner makes no sense logically.

Take a similar scenario like Colin Farrel in the film In Bruges and when he gets set-up by the girl there's at least a build up and a connection established between the two.

Only thing I can assume is maybe after the screen goes black she becomes the patsy, because the dirty fella from the street expects some nookie now haha.
          http://www.roryblanchard.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rory_B View Post
            ...the fact he's got plenty of money yet is sitting on a street corner makes no sense logically.

Yeah, when I was a street youth, I never got the interest of a woman to be taken up to her apartment... on the other hand, I did have some interest from some set of 'gentlemen'... but in any case, I never had a wad of cash in my pocket...

Comment

I found the persistent underexposure murky and unappealing. It also produces a distracting radial posterization effect on the light gray walls of the apartment, which at times will shift as if it's a fine nylon mesh hanging behind the actors.
              GH2 100Mbps Flow Motion v2 Patch

GH1 Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch
              GH1 Blackout-Powell Patch
              GH1 75Mbps GH1 Peak Reliability Patch
              GH1 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch

Comment

Originally posted by lpowell View Post
                I found the persistent underexposure murky and unappealing. It also produces a distracting radial posterization effect on the light gray walls of the apartment, which at times will shift as if it's a fine nylon mesh hanging behind the actors.
                Eeeehh? Do you always look out for these things when watching short films?

The GH2 his its limits...he shot the film in colour originally so im guessing its because of the colour limitation or even vimeo compression?.
                Last edited by mimirsan; 03-12-2011, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Its the limits of 8bit compression, the hacked GH1 exhibits the same and so does the 5DMkII, even on Danfung Dennis's Hell and Back Again has it. It's unavoidable, yes we need smoother gradients, but I think creativity and imagination is more important haha.

Comment

Working...
                  X