Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No shallow DoF on the 'tiny' GH2 sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Defeats the purpose.
    2.I would not touch the Voigtlander. Too soft and to much vignetting.
    3. Have the 5dII and I like everything about it but the s**tty resolution videos "compared to the panasonic"
    4. That doesn't even makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by hazna View Post
      1. Defeats the purpose.
      2.I would not touch the Voigtlander. Too soft and to much vignetting.
      3. Have the 5dII and I like everything about it but the s**tty resolution videos "compared to the panasonic"
      4. That doesn't even makes sense.
      Me thinks you are very mistaken about #2.

Comment

With respect to your seniority on this forum I do not see how the m4/3 sensor has anything to do with bokeh.
        It is a property of the lens. Crop factor has nothing to do with the amount of bokeh you get on the lens.
        For example my 50mm canon F1.2L has exactly the same amount of bokeh on the gh2 and the 5dII.
        Lenses work the same regardless of the crop factor.
        You can get better bokeh if you background is far away from the DOF and you are shooting wide open.
        Smaller sensors have greater DOF, but the crop factor, of course, makes the lens longer, so it's not the same frame size and comparing apples to oranges in some was. IE - 50mm = 25mm on a GH1, and even though they're equivalent framing wise, a 50mm lens on a Mark ii will have more bokeh than 25mm on a GH1 at the same aperture giving the same frame/distance.

The sensor size matters, but again, your 1/3 inch chip HDV cameras have more in focus since the lens is ultra wide to make up for the small sensor, so it's an indirect factor
        https://www.Psynema.com Visit Psynema.com to see a few of my video productions, especially if you're from Philadelphia and need a hand on your next production. I use Adobe CC Premiere and After Effects, Glidecam, and I have a screenplay pilot in I'm trying to produce as well.

Comment

If anything I am very unhappy with how much DOF my 20mm 1.7 lens have.
          I tested it yesterday an it has A LOT of DOF at wide open.
          pretty annoying and hard to follow focus somebody indoors.
          You mean to say it has not a lot of DOF wide open. A lot of DOF would mean a lot of things in focus.
          "Can't stop the signal."

http://www.vimeo.com/benbunch
          benbunchfilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_B View Post
            You mean to say it has not a lot of DOF wide open. A lot of DOF would mean a lot of things in focus.
            Sorry my bad.
            The DOF is very narrow.
            My friend was making a coffee and only 1 inch move of his head takes him out of focus.

Comment

It is all based on your composition.
              In small spaces when the background is very close to your subject I agree with you.
              Taking a few steps back to get the same frame will change your focal distance .
              Not a big deal for me.
              But If the background is far away from the subject you will get the same bokeh and DOF on any camera out there if you are using the same lens.

Originally posted by Psynema View Post
              Smaller sensors have greater DOF, but the crop factor, of course, makes the lens longer, so it's not the same frame size and comparing apples to oranges in some was. IE - 50mm = 25mm on a GH1, and even though they're equivalent framing wise, a 50mm lens on a Mark ii will have more bokeh than 25mm on a GH1 at the same aperture giving the same frame/distance.

The sensor size matters, but again, your 1/3 inch chip HDV cameras have more in focus since the lens is ultra wide to make up for the small sensor, so it's an indirect factor

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Adamson View Post
                Sure Barry, so expressing it yet another way, shooting a face like the original post photo with say a 50 f1.4 on both a 5D and a GH2 would give different dof, on account of the distance to subject to achieve the same framing.
                Yes, but -- it is the changing of the subject distance that causes the difference in DOF.

If you shot the same scene from the same spot pointed at the same subject, both using that 50 f/1.4 at the same f-stop, then both shots will have identical DOF. The difference would be in how much of the frame you can see. That's the difference the bigger sensor makes -- it expands the field of view.
                The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Thank you for explaining it way better then me.

Comment

using the AF100, i found the image charachteristics, field of view, and Depth of field to be exactly what they should be if you were shooting 35mm film.

get used to it. this is what movies look like. Always have.
                    Cinematographer
                    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

Comment

Very true there... I posted a video on this forum that has really narrow DOF.... perfect for what I wanted to do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7HMj24vXo

Comment

The biggest key for people to keep in mind is subject distance, and that as you approach hyperfocal everything flattens.

i've been posting this around too much but everyone seems to think it helps illustrate the sensor size debate:

C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
                        www.DarrenLevine.com

Comment

Working...
                        X