• Show
Clear All

Birds during snow storm, 100-300 ECT

Beautiful.

Are these in your backyard?

Care to share some technical details?

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Lovely shots E-TC is a great help, the only thing i find even with my 14-140mm lens 728 35mm equivalent[ i think] is if its windy even my fairly heavy tripod my zoom shots show the wind shake, innevitable but calm days help.

Comment

Yes, they were quite conveniently in my back yard. There is not much to tell really - I used the smooth film mode, and I believe I bumped the saturation to plus 1. I used 24P at 80 percent because the birds make such quick, jerky movements.
        I saw another video yesterday where he used the ECT mode, 720/60P converted to 24P with Cinema tools. The film mode setting was Cinema all -2 except for saturation. I really liked the result.
        http://vimeo.com/18843953

Comment

Originally posted by flinty View Post
          Lovely shots E-TC is a great help, the only thing i find even with my 14-140mm lens 728 35mm equivalent[ i think] is if its windy even my fairly heavy tripod my zoom shots show the wind shake, innevitable but calm days help.
          I know about the need for a heavy tripod! I tried to cheat on this on a hike and took a monopod with stabilizing feet. I quickly discovered there was no way that was going to work with the 100-300 in the ECT mode. I ended up using the heavy tripod and fluid head. I also find panning difficult at these magnifications. I love having the ECT mode available - I never imagined I would have access to 1560 mm (equivalent), much less in a small, lightweight package. I wonder why this isn’t available on the AF100?

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
            I wonder why this isn’t available on the AF100?

Barry explains this better but my understanding is that the OLPF makes it impossible. It is tuned for video and cuts the effective res of the sensor to HD - ETC on the AF100 would look more like SD

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
              Yes, they were quite conveniently in my back yard. There is not much to tell really - I used the smooth film mode, and I believe I bumped the saturation to plus 1. I used 24P at 80 percent because the birds make such quick, jerky movements.
              I saw another video yesterday where he used the ECT mode, 720/60P converted to 24P with Cinema tools. The film mode setting was Cinema all -2 except for saturation. I really liked the result.
              http://vimeo.com/18843953
              Which do you prefer for filming in clear sunny conditions smooth or cinema.
              Also i am waiting to check if this Birger adaptor will still give E-T-C with canon lenses before deciding what to get ie the 100-300mm pana lens or the adaptor to use with my canon lenses.
              Last edited by flinty; 02-07-2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by henryolonga View Post
                Barry explains this better but my understanding is that the OLPF makes it impossible. It is tuned for video and cuts the effective res of the sensor to HD - ETC on the AF100 would look more like SD
                Thanks. That makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by flinty View Post
                  Which do you prefer for filming in clear sunny conditions smooth or cinema.
                  Also i am waiting to check if this Birger adaptor will still give E-T-C with canon lenses before deciding what to get ie the 100-300mm pana lens or the adaptor to use with my canon lenses.
                  I’m really not sure which would be better. It probably depends on the contrast of the subjects/scene, and the settings you choose within a particular film mode. The lack of an internal ND filter, and gloomy, dark winter weather pretty much eliminates such questions here. I did check out various modes on an overcast day - 50th sec, f11.0, ISO 160. I was curious the see how the GH2 looked via a Blu-ray on a large TV, so I put together a bunch of clips for myself. That’s why this is so long and repetitious, but if you want to take the time to look at it, you can get a sense of how the various modes compare under these conditions. I used Cinema mode up to 1:50, where the other modes begin. The mode I remember giving me the most shadow detail (in a ProRes HQ file) was Nostalgic. However you have to spend some time removing the excess yellow.
                  http://www.vimeo.com/19106453

Comment

Interesting,i started using nostalgic first but its too week and yellow for me personaly.

Comment

Working...
                    X