First GH2 Video: Chinatown Sleeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First GH2 Video: Chinatown Sleeps

After deciding the the AF100 probably isn't the camera for me, I've joined the GH2 camp! I always enjoyed my GH1, especially after the hack was released, and the GH2 really offers some significant improvements in a lot of areas.

This is all shot in Chinatown in Downtown Los Angeles over the course of about an hour or so. I used only Canon FD primes, mostly the 85f/1.8 and the 35f/2, which are hands down my favorite of the set.

Panasonic GH2
    "Cinema" Mode
    Canon FD Standard Speed Primes
    ISO 800 - 1600

Music is Beethoven's Sonata no. 8 in C minor
    Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
    Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
    IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Nice! The quality at these ISOs is really impressive. I love the music too. I have a friend who is a concert pianist, and I usually try to use his music, but regrettably he has not recorded any Beethoven. I’ll have to bug him!

Comment

Looks great cowpunk! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these ... come on Panasonic!

Comment

Thanks very much! The GH2 really is a joy to use, especially with old legacy primes. I can't tell you how happy I am to give this wonderful old glass new life!
        IATSE Local 600

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this! I've been racking my brain with research to put together a camera package. I want a DSLR (GH2) and a video camera that I can do docs, events and feature/shorts with. But to keep my budget in check I'm thinking of going with a tape based HDV camera, and getting the GH2 since a letus would cost the same money. I really appreciate the fact that you used canon FD primes. I have wanted to see what that would look like and you've given me a very good example with out grading and all that. Just straight video. Thank you!

Steve A

Comment

Having not tried one, I'm curious why you decided the AF100 wasn't for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Saxon View Post
              Having not tried one, I'm curious why you decided the AF100 wasn't for you?
              Basically, after using one, I didn't find the picture quality and ergonomic improvement was enough to warrant a $4k price premium over a GH2. I was disappointed in the AF100's chroma clipping and the yellowish skin tones it produced and while the dynamic range is slightly better than that of DSLR's, it isn't better by very much. I get more DR and better gradients with my xf300. Also the resolution is a little disappointing for it's price class; it's rated optimistically at only 800 lines, but it looks to me like that's counting some aliased detail. Don't get me wrong - it's an excellent video camera and unmatched (for the moment) in it's category. Overall, I felt that it was exactly what I would expect for a $5k video camera; and that was exactly the problem. I wanted it to be more, because for the past year or two I feel like other cameras have really been giving me more value for my money (GH2 for instance, or my XF300). Plus, I would still have to purchase most of the same accessories I need on a DSLR to make it really usable: rails, follow focus, mattebox, shoulder mount, etc. I already have a digital audio recorder, and 4x4 ND's aren't hard to come by. The majority of the work I do is for television broadcast, and none of my broadcast clients have any interest in the AF100, and my non-broadcast clients that want the shallow DoF just assume I use a dslr. I felt I would get more bang for my buck with a GH2, and I could spend the difference on gear that won't be technically surpassed in a year or two (filters, support, lights, etc).

The low-price, large-sensor camcorder segment is brand new, and competing technology will be coming out very soon. My XF300 is paying the bills just fine for now. For me, I decided it's better to watch the market and see what develops.

Please keep in mind, this is just based on me and my shooting needs. YMMV
              Last edited by cowpunk52; 01-23-2011, 07:20 PM.
              IATSE Local 600

Comment

Very nice indeed and lovely music.

Comment

Dang! When did street parking get up to $2 per hour?

Comment

Working...
                  X