• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH2 24p "24H": 1/50 & 1/60 shutter comparisons

I was curious to see what this test would show, so here we go:

GH2 24p "24H" @ 1/50th second shutter:

GH2 24p "24H" @ 1/60th second shutter:

Both clips are approx. 15-sec. long. I re-wrapped the camera-original .MTS files to QuickTime .MOV files without recompression so more people can play/edit them.

Again, I'm not sure what the results "mean", but FWIW both the Vimeo-compressed and camera-original versions of the files play smoothly on my MacBook Pro 17 via QT & VLC.

Compare, contrast, discuss. Cheers.
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 01-01-2011, 07:10 PM.
    -

www.peterdv.com
    Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

I think the motion blur on the 1/50 sec video looks smoother than the 1/60 sec video.
    GH2 100Mbps Flow Motion v2 Patch

GH1 Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch
    GH1 Blackout-Powell Patch
    GH1 75Mbps GH1 Peak Reliability Patch
    GH1 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch

Comment

Yeah, 1/50 is looking better to my eyes.
      Screenwriter
      Los Angeles Center Studios Offices

Comment

Just out of curiousity what was your technique for the ReWrap? Is this an advisable method of bringing the MTS files in for post work?

I tried rewrap2m4v and that works pretty well for me so far...?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Kanes View Post
          Just out of curiousity what was your technique for the ReWrap? Is this an advisable method of bringing the MTS files in for post work? I tried rewrap2m4v and that works pretty well for me so far...?
          Hi Dan: I don't use rewrapped files for post work myself. Instead I use FCP's Log & Transfer feature to transcode the GH1/GH2 camera-original AVCHD .MTS files to ProRes LT QuickTime .MOV files.

Before I upload these small camera-original test clip files to Vimeo I rewrap the .MTS files to .MOV files for "easier" viewing. It's just for convenience, not a workflow recommendation.
          Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 01-02-2011, 10:44 AM.
          -

www.peterdv.com

Comment

One of the reasons I shot this little test was I've seen posts online where people say motion in DSLR video looked "bad" (or "not smooth", or "jerky").

This test was just a way to show that this is not necessarily the case.

One of the reasons I include the (rewrapped) camera-original files is so that folks can compare them to the more-compressed Vimeo versions. For example, in some cases Vimeo may have done a fine job of compressing the files, but an individual's browser, plugin, computer, GPU driver configuration may be producing undesirable results. Or, the video might look good in a browser, but lousy in VLC or the QT player on a particular machine.

At least with the camera-original files there's a small chance folks can figure what the camera is capable of vs. their hardware & software capabilities. YMMV.
            -

www.peterdv.com

Comment

Peter, cool test. This is my 24p test for to see if I could get smooth motion:

http://www.vimeo.com/18345432

Comment

I'll be honest I can't tell the difference and I think if you had gotten them mixed up you wouldn't be able to figure out which is which.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester2138 View Post
                  I'll be honest I can't tell the difference and I think if you had gotten them mixed up you wouldn't be able to figure out which is which.
                  It's definitely noticeable to me, but just because you close your eyes doesn't mean the world disappears.
                  Screenwriter
                  Los Angeles Center Studios Offices

Comment

Once again people see what they want to see. No matter how many test you make for other people to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester2138 View Post
                      Look at the 1/60 clip... you can see the markings on the bottom of the turntable alternating 'black/grey'. On the 1/50 clip those are smooth. You could use a strobe light, those markings
                      and calibrate your turntable speed... but I digress...

Comment

Working...
                      X