Screengrabs from first day of shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screengrabs from first day of shooting

Hey everyone, shooting is underway, thought I'd share a few screengrabs from the shoot. This was a nighttime exterior shot on a balcony.

Lenses used:

Canon FD 24mm f/1.4 L
    Olympus 17mm f/2.8 Pancake
    Zeiss (Rollei SL35 mount West German made) 50mm f/1.4
    With the Zeiss we did shots with the Panasonic Anamorphic Adapter and close up shots without it (because of close focusing issues when using anamorphics) - non anamorphic footage will get cropped to match the anamorphic aspect ratio.

Shot 1080/24 - these screengrabs are from Edius Neo 2 Booster. Smooth film mode.

All shot with the Tiffen T1 IR Cut filter on and white balanced against the back side of the slate - these haven't had color correction or anything yet so I don't know how the colors will appear on your screen, but the IR cut really does seem to help in terms of getting cleaner blacks.

We used a Britek lighting kit with 5500K flourescent bulbs putting out an equivalent of about 200 watts each - 2 softboxes, 2 lights with barn doors. We got the lower powered kit because we didn't know where we'd be shooting all the interiors and we wanted to make sure we could light without blowing circuits - plus we have fast lenses and so this kit seems to do the job quite well when you put all this together.

All shot at ISO 250-400, lenses at f/5.6-8 to keep the characters sharp as they move back and forth in this scene.

Also for the record, anyone who says that you can't tell the difference between really sharp lenses on the GH1 in video mode is really incorrect, the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 West German lens is thought to be one of the sharpest 50mms ever made, and it's obvious when you put it on the camera, particularly if you want to shoot at f/1.4, I've never seen a lens as "perfect" at a wide open aperture like f/1.4 that is as sharp and free from CA, etc., as that Zeiss is.

Also, anyone considering the Olympus 17mm pancake....it's a joyous little lens to use, it's got a bad rap for really...I don't know, it's not a perfect lens but it's damn good and intercut with the Zeiss and Canon L glass without a hitch, I wasn't shooting at f/2.8 but even when I have that little lens is really, really fun and delivers good images, if you want something small, wide and relatively fast, I got my Olympus for $200 on eBay and it's just a great little lens, another big plus is its light weight - we're doing a little bit of handheld on this shoot with a Bogen Modosteady and the pancake + gh1 platform is so light that the modosteady can stabilize it with ease. This is not to say that the Panny 20mm f/1.7 doesn't appear to be a better lens overall, but on m4/3 that extra 3mm makes a difference (especially if you're like me and don't have the kit lens), plus it's half the price used (and when these things are sold as used...they haven't really been *used*) of a Panny 20/1.7.

Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thisisapocalypse; 03-22-2010, 08:35 AM.
Working...
X