Maxim - Behind the scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maxim - Behind the scenes

Behind the scenes using GH1and 20/1.7. Commercial shot with my Canon 7D.

nice work. do you know what kind of monitor they were using?
    Fresh

Comment

All equipment is mine, even the 7D, and the monitor is a small 3.5" LCD monitor I found on ebay for $100. It runs on the composite output and has rechargeable batteries. Small and works great.

Comment

Hi, editman. I'm wondering what is your opinion on the 1080p 24fps mode on the GH1 vs the 7D. I'm still trying to decide what camera to buy and this is the mode that I will most likely use. Thanks!

Comment

I find both cameras really great. When working with shallow dof the 7D 1080p is stunning. If you do wide shots the GH1 feels better even in 720p mode over the 7D 1080p. Both cameras are great under different circumstances.

So there's not an easy answer. The images we shot with the 7D came out stunning with sharpness I've never seen before from the 7D so when everything works in favour of the 7D I believe it to be the one to deliver the good stuff.

There are so many parameters that has to be just about right and then magic happens and either camera comes out breathtaking!

Comment

Thanks for replying editman. I really like your work. I'm also wondering about the level of difficulty of removing pulldown on the GH1 1080p. I read the articles and posts about this subject, but there seems to be so many and since you have the cameras and worked with them - how much of a hassle is the process? Is the timeframe of removing pulldown more time consuming than rendering the avchd into prores for edit in fcp? Thanks so much for replying!

Comment

I live in Sweden and 50hz (25/50fps) so pulldown for me is not an issue. Better check with someone in the US.

Comment

Good looking job Eddie!
                My GH1 shorts are here: http://vimeo.com/marttiekstrand/videos

Comment

Looking good! Makes me wanna buy the 20mm 1.7. Next year I guess.

How is manual focusing with it?
                  DVXUSER TimeFest!

Comment

Manual focus on the 20/1.7? I would say forget it, but if you have small fingers and learn to use the focus by wire it will work. I find it easy to half press the shutter button and get focus then start recording and when I want a new focus point during recording I do another half press of the shutter button and it will auto focus.

It will hunt little in good light and more in low light but it's way easier than trying to use that tiny focus ring.

Comment

good work!
                      regarding the 20 1.7, the only thing holding me back from getting it is that manual focus issue, it work great with the gh1 now, but if i upgraded my dslr in the future manual focus might be a must for this to work... ho do you change the aperture on it, is it manual?

Comment

By pressing the front wheel to select between aperture and shutter and then turn the wheel.
                        It's manual if you're in movie mode.

Comment

>Better check with someone in the US.

I use Neoscene for the mac to transcode GH1 and 5D2 videos to ProRes LT. I think it works fine.

Editman, so much to learn from you. I find that nature/landscape documentaries seems to be a different world. But fun to try.
                          Uwe Steinmueller

http://www.outbackphoto.com/index_news.html

Comment

GH1 works really nice to make landscape shots. Put a good ND-filter to use and you'll get very fine images.

Comment

Working...
                            X