Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timelapse @ Home

Hi Folks,

I was very busy lately, giving me no time to get out and shoot, coming home late at night and heading out early in the morning. Under these restricitions I thought to have a closer look from my home, setting up my GH1 and doing timelapse shots.

Wow, I was surprised what could be seen early in the morning and at night just from my home in the middle of Vienna!

Have fun watching:

http://www.vimeo.com/8149467

All shot with kit lens, editing in Edius Neo 2. As a member, 1080p file can be downloaded from vimeo.

Some screengrabs here:
    Attached Files

VERY nice! Care to share some techniques, settings?

Comment

Originally posted by tflak View Post
      VERY nice! Care to share some techniques, settings?
      Thank you!

I am using a JJC TM-D timer, I was using the medium resolution photo mode, smooth film mode with sharpness, contrast and NR set to -2, saturation to 0.

During the day WB set to 5500K, at night to 3500K. For the night shots I used an exposure time of 15s, every 30s a shot, iso 200 (at higher iso's it was too noisy - thats the drawback of the slow kit lens). During the day, I was varing the shots per minute.

In Edius Neo 2 I used a 1080p23.98 preset, and picked (in the general settings) a duration of 1 frame for the stills. Then I just had to select all photos, and with one mouseclick dragged them into the timeline. Thats a very efficient workflow in Edius.

best regards, Gunther

Comment

Originally posted by GMC View Post
        ...For the night shots I used an exposure time of 15s, every 30s a shot, iso 200 (at higher iso's it was too noisy - thats the drawback of the slow kit lens)...
        Gunther,

Very nice work - finding the extraordinary within the ordinary.

Do you remember how many stills were needed for the night shot?

Comment

Thanks, Gunther...great info.

Here's a site you might be interested in. Lots of folks doing some very high-end stuff:

http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/vie...c600d64968591f

And there's a fascinating thread about a technique called bulb-ramping. It's a bit over my head (okay, a lot) but great stuff:

http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/vie...acbd2a3c5a1524

Comment

Gunther, this was very cool...i commented on your vimeo/added as contact. i'm enjoying your work.
            "Easier than it sounds, harder than it looks."
            Chris Light
            www.vimeo.com/chrislight

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
              Gunther,

Very nice work - finding the extraordinary within the ordinary.

Do you remember how many stills were needed for the night shot?
              Thanks!

It were about 700.

best regards, Gunther

Comment

Originally posted by skinny! View Post
                Gunther, this was very cool...i commented on your vimeo/added as contact. i'm enjoying your work.
                Dear Chris,

Thank you. I've added you as well to my contacts on vimeo. Great to get to know a lot of creative people.

best regards, Gunther

Comment

Originally posted by tflak View Post
                  Thanks, Gunther...great info.

Here's a site you might be interested in. Lots of folks doing some very high-end stuff:

http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/vie...c600d64968591f

And there's a fascinating thread about a technique called bulb-ramping. It's a bit over my head (okay, a lot) but great stuff:

http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/vie...acbd2a3c5a1524
                  Thanks for the link! Thats a great site, wow!

best regards, Gunther

Comment

Great work!
                    GH13, Sound Devices 702, Schoeps CMC641, COS11d-BP Lav, FOCAL CMS40 Monitor, Rycote Softie, Audio Technica 1800 wireless system, 20mm f1.7, 14mm f2.5, 50mm f1.4 FD, 200m F2.8 FD, 4x4 filter set, Schneider .03 ND Grad, Schneider .9 ND Hard Grad, Schneider Polarizing Filter,

Comment

Originally posted by IanB View Post
                      Great work!
                      Thank you!

Comment

Very pretty Gunther. I'm thinking of buying the TM-D, what do you think of it? Also does its shutter release button work even without batteries installed, for basic triggering?

Comment

Originally posted by g.l View Post
                          Very pretty Gunther. I'm thinking of buying the TM-D, what do you think of it? Also does its shutter release button work even without batteries installed, for basic triggering?
                          It's a good timer, and serves every need. I am using it for more than 1 year now and I still have the first batteries installed, after more than 20.000 photos. I think it will not work without batteries (but I have not tested it).

Comment

Originally posted by GMC View Post
                            It's a good timer, and serves every need. I am using it for more than 1 year now and I still have the first batteries installed, after more than 20.000 photos. I think it will not work without batteries (but I have not tested it).
                            That sounds great, thanks. If you do get a chance, please try it quickly without batteries. In theory it doesn't need them for the basic shutter button, but it depends how they implemented it on this remote.

Comment

Working...
                            X