A "Funny" Joke - GH1 short film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "Funny" Joke - GH1 short film

This is a short that I shot over a few hours with my GH-1 and mostly a Nikon 50mm lens (a couple shots are 28mm). All footage was shot in 1080p 24p mode.

WARNING: NSFW (language)

I had been worried about the mud in 1080p, because I had filmed a video a few weeks ago that looked absolutely awful and pretty much unwatchable, but with this short even a few shots with more motion that didn't make the cut all looked pretty good. I'm definitely looking forward to filming some more stuff on the GH-1, and especially looking forward to filming in a larger room.
    Flavored Shampoo

nicely shot, don't really like the birds eye view shot though... my only critique is that the main premise of the film SJP looking liek a horse and a foot both seem to be jokes taken from Family Guy... so they loose the punch!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks man! I actually would have liked to put a couple medium/wide shots in there, but that room was so small that even with a 14 or 18mm lens, I just couldn't get far enough away for the 2-shot to work.
      Flavored Shampoo

Comment

I thought it was pretty good.

Would of definitely help if you had a shoulder mount / stabilization though.

I could of been a bit shorter I think.
        ryankozicki.com | Panasonic GH1 |

Comment

The shots were good, dialogue sound was clear and good, performances were mostly good. I'm not particularly bothered by any of the technical elements of this short.

The problem with this short, is that it amounts to only us watching someone tell a joke to his friend. No matter how funny the joke is (and in this case it's a recycled joke), in comedy, the premise of the scene itself must be funny too and it should connect with the joke being told onscreen - there's really nothing funny about a guy running into his friend's dorm room and telling him a joke.

Comment

x_WOrPIG_x
            Thanks. I agree entirely. I actually have a shoulder mount that I would have liked to use, but unfortunately wasn't able to get the right mount on time. I actually started filming on a tripod, but then (as I always do) realized that I hate using tripods. I should have proper stabilization for the next short though...

thisisapocalypse
            Glad you liked the technical stuff. As for the joke - the actual SJP portion of the joke wasn't really intended to be "the joke" of the short (obviously SJP being completely hideous is nothing new, and I figure it's just assumed that if there was anyone who looked like a horse/foot it would naturally have to be SJP). It was more the Tarantino weirdness of it, and the WTF moments that were the whole point.

I kind of agree with you about the whole setup, but in this case, I think having the first part tie in would have taken the WTF-ness away from it. Anyways, thanks for checkin it out.
            Flavored Shampoo

Comment

You know what - I thought it was great! Angles worked, lighting was good, sound was clear, and your actors were perfect. In it's complete and utter absurdity, the joke was really funny, and I laughed - I didn't think it was recycled at all. I even really enjoyed the fact that the camera wasn't stabilized. It was done simply, and done very well. It is difficult to make a funny film out of the premise of someone telling someone else a joke, and you've gone a smash-up job at it. Kudos!
              Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
              Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
              IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Comment

Originally posted by cowpunk52 View Post
                You know what - I thought it was great! Angles worked, lighting was good, sound was clear, and your actors were perfect. In it's complete and utter absurdity, the joke was really funny, and I laughed - I didn't think it was recycled at all. I even really enjoyed the fact that the camera wasn't stabilized. It was done simply, and done very well. It is difficult to make a funny film out of the premise of someone telling someone else a joke, and you've gone a smash-up job at it. Kudos!
                ditto.

Comment

Hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by neosnare View Post
                    Thanks man! I actually would have liked to put a couple medium/wide shots in there, but that room was so small that even with a 14 or 18mm lens, I just couldn't get far enough away for the 2-shot to work.
                    I forgot to let you know we added it http://simplerobb.ning.com/video/a-funny-joke.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Glad you're liking it.
                      Flavored Shampoo

Comment

A few to many "none other than"'s but not bad at all.

Was the sound the GH1 onboard sound?

My videos

Comment

Working...
                        X