Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screencap of moon, 200mm f2.8 ISO 100 60th sec 1080

**Updated with full res grabs out of photoshop**

Shot from my balcony (I'm on the 12th floor) in Boston on a tripod.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thisisapocalypse; 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM.

This clip had been transcoded via Neoscene prior to screen capture.

Comment

very nice. I tried to do the same yesterday using the kit lens and all I was getting was a big white ball... . Any idea what I might have been doing wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by ajamils View Post
        very nice. I tried to do the same yesterday using the kit lens and all I was getting was a big white ball... . Any idea what I might have been doing wrong ?
        It's really tricky. If you want to get lots of moon detail, you usually have to stop it down quite a bit in order to get rid of the white ball. To get the cloud detail, however, you need to be shooting very near wide open. In my case, I was lucky, and there were lots of thin layers of clouds that were going over the moon which sort of acted like an ND filter for me most of the time. In the clip, however, when there are no clouds over the moon at all, it does show as pretty much a white ball. I'll upload the clip later.

Comment

It is not easy to get clouds and moon simultaneously, as apocalypse says, because the moon is usually so much brighter than the clouds. They make special "spot ND" filters for this, clear filters with a circle of ND on them, where if you got the zoom just right the circle of ND filter would darken the moon and nothing else...
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Perfect scenario for a Vari-ND.

EDIT: Just saw Barry's post about the special ND -- didn't realize they even existed. So I guess the perfect solution would be a spot Vari-ND!

Comment

Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/7422904

Comment

Thought it was very cool the way the clouds seemed to "paint" the features back on the moon once it had turned to a white ball.

Comment

Originally posted by tflak View Post
                  Thought it was very cool the way the clouds seemed to "paint" the features back on the moon once it had turned to a white ball.
                  Totally! It was such a cool situation the way they did that - glad I had my camera and tripod ready! Posted some more pics in another thread too, just fyi.

Comment

Okay, this was cool, so I dug out the biggest lens I have at the moment, a 30-year-old(?) 300mm Zeiss Pentacon Six lens.

And put on the Pentacon -> M42 mount adapter.

And then put on the M42->C-mount adapter.

And then used the C-mount->GH1 adapter, and finally mounted the whole thing on the GH1.

By the time I was done, it looked like this:

(you'll notice that the camera itself is not connected to the tripod, the lens is. The lens has its own tripod mount)

I then took video and a still shot of the moon through this rig. What can a GH1 see with a 300mm lens attached to it? How 'bout this:

That is a cropped version of the full still shot; I chopped out the black and just left the moon, at 1:1 pixel resolution.

Not much to show in the motion footage, it pretty much looks all the same 'cause I didn't have any cool clouds like apocalypse did. This is a pixel-for-pixel extraction of the moon from the 1080p video image:

Still not too shabby for video!
                    Last edited by Barry_Green; 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM.
                    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

That Zeiss is nice...I got a similar shot with an old vivitar 300mm but damn was it soft and had other optical problems.
                      "Can't stop the signal."

http://www.vimeo.com/benbunch
                      benbunchfilms.com

Comment

The little moon shot is video. The big one was a still.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                          The little moon shot is video. The big one was a still.
                          Yeah I realized that and then tweaked the comment lol.
                          "Can't stop the signal."

http://www.vimeo.com/benbunch
                          benbunchfilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                            Okay, this was cool, so I dug out the biggest lens I have at the moment, a 30-year-old(?) 300mm Zeiss Pentacon Six lens.

Barry! That lens is killer and those photos look great! Great job! How fast is that lens? I used to shoot football all the time and used a Canon EOS 300mm f2.8, great, great lens...wish I still had it. The GH1 is really fun with these super telephotos for things like the moon - they very nearly become telescopes.
                            Last edited by thisisapocalypse; 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X