Old time film attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old time film attempt

I'm sure people have seen a million videos of people taking a million stills and throwing them into a video. I have another but I was trying to get an old time movie effect. I think it is close but the frame rate is still not right. Anyway just showing everybody a look you can get using this method and the MB Misfire plugin used in FCP. Plus it gave me a reason to try this vimeo embed tool on the forums.

Last edited by Nitsuj; 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM.
    www.burningcrowpictures.com

The look is sure on-target. But overall it didn't give me an old film feeling and I'm not sure it was the frame rate as much as the camera movement. Static camera was pretty much the rule in the early films.

Comment

cute family
      GH2 // 20mm f1.7 Panasonic // 50mm f1.4 Canon FD // 50mm f1.4 Nikon AF-D// Indislider Pro 24"

Comment

Originally posted by tflak View Post
        The look is sure on-target. But overall it didn't give me an old film feeling and I'm not sure it was the frame rate as much as the camera movement. Static camera was pretty much the rule in the early films.
        Great point! I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks dood.

Comment

Originally posted by DanDOF View Post
          cute family
          Hehe thanks!

Comment

Looks pretty darn authentic to me.

Comment

Looks really great... excellent work!
              http://vimeo.com/rolandcadieux/

Comment

You are close. I think it would have looked more oldish with something like C-mount lenses bc the footage is a tad too sharp and some of the transitions looked too modern. I also agree with tflak that "Static camera was pretty much the rule in the early films." Adding some shaky mute film texts in between some static shots might have sold it completely bc the grading was spot on.

Apart from that, your cute kid stole the show, congratulations.
                http://www.vimeo.com/user746382

Comment

Originally posted by Soroush Shahrokni View Post
                  You are close. I think it would have looked more oldish with something like C-mount lenses bc the footage is a tad too sharp and some of the transitions looked too modern. I also agree with tflak that "Static camera was pretty much the rule in the early films." Adding some shaky mute film texts in between some static shots might have sold it completely bc the grading was spot on.

Apart from that, your cute kid stole the show, congratulations.
                  Ah yes the transitions were just me messing around. The first and last transition "iris" is more like it. Yeah "shaky mute text" was common in those times too. I did fix my focus to blur out some of the sharpness. I think at times it became really sharp because I was right in the focal plane. I think the trick is a static shot and pulling everything slightly out of focus for sure. I was also thinking that the light source was something too. I had a light right up on them and it washed out at times. The setting in camera was B&W Dynamic but I am starting to think the Smooth B&W might be what I am looking for. Only thing with the Smooth is it seems to give that silver metallic look at times. I'll have to give this another go soon to see if I can push it closer. You are right it is close but leaves me thinking it's missing something.
                  I started thinking about this and there are a lot of times I have seen this look trying to be replicated but it just didn't cut it. I don't know if I would ever use it for anything other than home video like this but I'm the curious type.

Thanks for all your comments!

Comment

Actually, if you dial down the old film effect a bit you will land at a near-perfect Jean-Luc Godard 16 mm hand-held Nouvelle Vague look.
                    My GH1 shorts are here: http://vimeo.com/marttiekstrand/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Martti Ekstrand View Post
                      Actually, if you dial down the old film effect a bit you will land at a near-perfect Jean-Luc Godard 16 mm hand-held Nouvelle Vague look.
                      Hehe yeah that too is an option. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X