Gh1 - smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gh1 - smoke!

I was curious to see how the GH1's AVCHD codec handles something complex like smoke.

Looks great to me so far!

Please tell me what you think.

Shot at 720p, Nikon 50mm f/1.2, no color correction.

http://vimeo.com/7100272

- Nick

password?

Comment

Hi and sorry about that. I didn't realize it was defaulted to "private". Check again. It's now public.

Comment

Neat. Try not aiming the light right at camera though. Maybe put it camera right and aim it through the smoke towards the left so you don't get that flare and nasty backlight on your gal there.

Comment

Thanks Revsta, will do. But what do you think about how the AVCHD codec holds up to smoke?

Many people used to complain about how HDV performed poorly when it came to shooting scenes like fast moving water or smoke. From looking at this clip, how does the AVCHD codec hold up in your opinion?

Comment

I think it looks just fine

Comment

I agree. To my eyes, it looks fantastic too. GH1 is the best recording device I have ever owned. I loved my HVX200, but to be able to mount lenses, I needed an adapter that made the whole device so heavy, compared to this little beast.

Comment

Holy crap, what kind of cigarettes are you smoking? I've never seen a cigarette make that much smoke!

Comment

Believe it or not, it's actually a Camel No Filter. I think the smoke is so apparent because I shot against the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Natteau View Post
                    Believe it or not, it's actually a Camel No Filter. I think the smoke is so apparent because I shot against the light.
                    Yeah, that must be it...still quite striking, it almost looks like you've got a smoke machine in there!

Comment

I think it handles smoke quite well ;)

(taken from Geoff's monsterfest thread http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=186823)
                      www.mattgarrettdp.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matty_g View Post

I think it handles smoke quite well ;)

(taken from Geoff's monsterfest thread http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=186823)
                        Thats looks iconic.

Love smoky b&w contrasty footage with one light. I just shot some fun stuff like that recently with my HVX. Cant wait to get a 7d or GH1

Comment

Working...
                        X